Signal Loss with Spektrum?

ben goodfellow  1

Advert

ok ben-I've heard from some of the people who were at the club site about your model-but my last post has no mention about your recent loss - more about radio and our site in general.......off topic I suppose(sorry)...but I do think that certain environments can have an effect on our radio signal's...site/temp/weather and condition of equipment and batteries....

ken Anderson....club site dept.

Posted by ken anderson. on 16/01/2015 14:22:58:

ok ben-I've heard from some of the people who were at the club site about your model-but my last post has no mention about your recent loss - more about radio and our site in general.......off topic I suppose(sorry)...but I do think that certain environments can have an effect on our radio signal's...site/temp/weather and condition of equipment and batteries....

ken Anderson....club site dept.

I've mentioned my unexplained problems here on this thread and I'm convinced that 2.4 is not infallible given the right conditions. These conditions can disappear as quickly as they appear making a cause almost impossible to work out

Seems a very reasonable - and generous - offer and I'd rip the man's hand off......teeth 2

Whilst some who haven't experienced the advantages of voice reporting or wireless trainer won't know the benefits they bring, I have to say after using them on my DX9 I wouldn't want to go back to squinting at a screen. It seems that some QQ purchasers were a bit miffed that voice became available so soon after the QQ's release, so despite the QQ cachet, you'll have an improved-spec Tx.

Whether you're still content to place your confidence in the system is another matter. It has been said earlier in the thread that these things happen, whatever the brand, so there's never going to be any sort of guarantee that changing will entirely eliminate the possibility of interference, or a glitch.

Pete

Hi Ben. I agree with Pete - take the offer. My Hitec Eclipse 7 purchased in 2000 has never missed one beat, both on 40 MHZ and 2.4. However, when I calculate the hours operated since 2000 (Fast Electric boats mainly), its life is nowhere near the hours I have put on my DX9 since purchased, and one DSM2 glitch identical to yours is all I have had. My Multiplex Pico on 40 MHz had no range at all if there was any metal near it at the lakeside, yet in all other circumstances I could take a boat till it was a speck on the lake with no problems. All brands play up sometimes !!

Colin

Ben, There may be many reasons why signal was lost, if that is indeed what happened, but I would be much more concerned about the apparent behaviour on loss of signal. The engine cut or low throttle sound like correct failsafe behavior (if set up properly), but the abrupt dive into the ground doesn't, unless that is how it was programmed. I assume you would have set the failsafe as most do with low throttle and 'hold last position' on the other channels?

Ben while you are waiting for your shiny new Dx 18 V2 from HH I would be tempted to take another look at the throttle servo on your deceased model (RIP). I have had two servo failures over the years. The first was a (Fleet) throttle servo in a MFA Sport 500 Heli - signal wire broke inside the servo case causing the engine to go to max throttle. Fixed pitch heli - Interesting! (MFA sport 500 - shows how old I am!)

The second instance was a high-end Hitec Heli servo, new out of the box, which suddenly shorted inside the case, getting very hot and again having some interesting effects on the rest of the Trex 500 radio installation. The fleet servo worked normally on the ground after the crash but the problem was self evident once I had the servo case open. The Hitec servo was exchanged without question, fortunately I was still setting it up so that the motor wasn't connected.

After a crash a servo can work normally but that does not mean that an intermittent fault does not exist and can reappear as a consequence of vibration in flight. Remember, one duff servo can affect the whole radio installation and the failsafe may not work as expected.

Just my 2p worth!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 18/01/2015 07:47:42

I suggest it would if it shorted out! I just remembered another servo failure I had. I was flying a three channel Ace Puddle Master from the lake at Kempton Park many years ago. Suddenly the model went into a very flat spin, the Elevator and throttle were fine but the rudder was hard over. After I had retrieved the rudder servo from the subsequent wreckage I discovered that the signal wire was broken where the wire entered the servo case. They were cheap servos that had seen a lot of use. The model was rebuilt and some decent Hitecs fitted. Why is it that the simplest models can be the most fun?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 18/01/2015 08:40:48

Posted by cymaz on 18/01/2015 08:43:27:

I will put in the bin straight away....the servo not the planeblush

And this is the problem, we are getting rid of equipment we have paid good money for only to chuck it away because we can not get a good answer to why the plane crashed. or risk another model and use it again.

My mate recons 2.4 is way better than 35 meg days, so the occasional unexplained hiccup is just the way it is.

Edited By bert baker on 18/01/2015 09:26:49

piers i havent accepted the dx18 v2 yet.... i really want to know what was wrong with my 18qq ,like what has been said before i dont want it dissmissed. .ive told a few people outside of modelling and they said it seems strange for a company to offer a new tx when they are saying there is nothing wrong with my one... on the servo thing suppose it possible but that dont explain why immediately after nothing was working but yet at home it did .. i cant try the throttle servo as it was detroyed ....

Hi Ben

Seems to me (a) you will probably never find the root cause of the original problem - have you checked all the components completely? (b) From what you are saying, there is nothing that HH can say or do now to restore your confidence - you have lost trust in ALL Spektrum kit because you don't really want a replacement.

So my advice would be - rip their arm off, take the new kit and immediately flog it. Then move to whatever takes your fancy - in other words you have to move on.

That's what I would do anyway smiley

PS We have to remember that root cause analysis of radio systems is a difficult and lengthy exercise - there are so many variables. As I say, you will probably never find that cause now.

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 18/01/2015 09:42:36:

i really want to know what was wrong with my 18qq ,like what has been said before i dont want it dissmissed. .ive told a few people outside of modelling and they said it seems strange for a company to offer a new tx when they are saying there is nothing wrong with my one...

Do you not think that given the problems you have had and the previous comments made on here (which I'm sure someone at HH will have read) that they are simply offering you an amazing deal in a real attempt to placate a disgruntled customer.

Gary.

In a relatively small market place with a great deal of competition from low cost competitors, its very common for companies to give away sweeteners as a means to retain brand loyalty, especially so when it comes to users of high end products where they know the modeller will be buying more RX's Servos etc ect - the cost to HH for a new rig is far lower than the retail cost so they probably are not taking much of a hit with it

As Masher says the root cause will probably never be known and a servo short could easily have caused a power drain in the RX rig causing a brown out - or a myriad of other things that in practice cant be tested (a poor connection for example)

Take the offer, fleabay it and move on

If you are adamant about finding out about your own gear, is there any independent testing facilities to send it to..

The transmitter, hmm well it sits at the end of all my models and it would be very costly to change them all to another manufacturer. and who's to say if it is hash or other obscure interference won't happen with another manufacture.

Hi how can you say it was defiantly a radio link fail when one item that would account for the engine cut is the throttle servo which was destroyed so this cause cannot be ruled out? sudden cut of power at low speed with a scale airobat usually Leeds to a instant stall (hence the controls do not respond to any input) and crash.

What servo were you using and was the return spring attached to the throttle arm on the carb?

Edited By flight1 on 18/01/2015 11:22:37

Ben - in that case don't you think that the failsafe did not work as it should have? It seems to have commanded a dive. That is a different problem from signal loss isn't it? You did check the failsafe operation during your preflight checks didn't you?

On the HH issue - given the thousands of Spektrum sets in use and the handfull of problems reported on various forums don't you think that replacing an RF board or the whole set is just good customer relations? They test them, find no fault, customers are convinced that there is a signal loss problem, so they offer a replacement.

Ben,

I was in a similar position when the DX8 came out. Lots of broken models and no faults found. Unless you are hoping for more compensation (you are wasting your time here), take the radio, sell it and buy a different brand. When I was losing models on nearly a weekly basis and after having my Dx8 checked twice I lost confidence and sold it all and switched to another leading brand......guess what.......no radio losses in over 3 years.

Might be a bit of a hit financially to sell off rx's but they will sell as so many people swear by them. Move on chap, enjoy your hobby.

Simon

as said before too id just updated software so i know failsafe was set right ....... the issue here is its not just mine that s done this ive heard off 5 other qq owners and other owners of 18s with the exact same problem .ive also had a few pms off people on this forum and others im on withe same thing happen .thats why im making such a big deal off it now.so the next 18 owner who it happens too will have all this to look at , its also a little more than a handfull of problems ....innit.

Sorry Ben - what has updating the software got to do with correct failsafe setting?

Still sounds like a handful to me, compared to the number of sets in use. People who experience a problem always make much more noise than those who don't.

I'm not suggesting that there wasn't a problem in your case, but it could have had any one or more different causes. In the old 35Meg days this sort of thing was a regular occurence, but that didn't have people starting campaigns that Futaba gear or JR gear was rubbish. No-one said 2.4 was infallible, just that it was a whole lot better than what we had before.

FWIW, I switched to Spektrum from JR when Spektrum first became available, and have used it constantly ever since in fixed wing and helis. Several different TXs and all kinds of RX including Orange, with never ever a hint of a problem - no brown outs, no failsafes. All the other Spektrum users that I know personally rather than online have the same story to tell.