Flying Alone

Erfolg

I fly alone a lot, power and slope. I also like others drive alone, walk alone, and even when my wife goes away for days to her ailing mum, I usually survive.

I always carry my phone or have it by me, and its live 24/7 with a speed dial set up, just in case I get partially disabled - but I NEVER answer it "live". I'm on such a good contact that I can return calls with no risk at all at a time and place that's safe for all, If I don't recognise the number I wait, they'll ring again if important!!

Advert

Posted by Mowerman on 17/04/2015 09:31:57:

At the slope I was retrieving a model when I slipped an broke my ankle, my mobile was in the car. Luckily there were other fliers there. I dread to think how I would have coped on my own.

If you fly alone keep your mobile on your person. ( I almost said 'in your pocket' but that would be of little help if your jacket was in the car)

I'm glad some of us have the foresight to see the merits of a mobile phone. How often do you hear " I have one but don't ever switch it on " . Are they the people who rely on the good nature of us other flyers to run for help if they get hurt ? Another often heard quote is " what did we do before we had them?" If you were injured and alone then lucky enough to be found by someone who  called for help all was fine  or if it was serious.like a cut artery you died before help arrived, sometime after you were reported missing by a worried relative . I agree with others that Mobiles should not be on the flight line and that can be very difficult to control these days as some folk appear to have symbiotic relationships with their phones . I don't believe that phones interfere with our radios as often as people make out but they do interfere with the pilots thought process as they cant resist to check their phone if one is heard ringing in a group. Just watch next time one rings where a group of modelers are. Most of the youngsters among'st us will immediately check to see if its their phone . The same thing happens on a flight line and the occasional crash caused by the multitasking is blamed on the radio interference.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 17/04/2015 14:20:58

Edited By Engine Doctor on 17/04/2015 14:24:16

I think there is a huge benefit to having a mobile phone at the field - mainly because of the possibility that I might be unable to drive to summon help if required.

Beyond that, I really can't see that whether it's switched on, in a pocket, or in the car makes all that much difference. If I sever an artery so badly that I'll die in the time it takes for my phone to boot up, my chances are looking pretty slim already!

I have my mobile in my pocket playing music as i fly. Relaxing and sometimes helpful if your trying to do pattern flying.

I think it very unlikely you would get any interference from the phone. you might from a short range wireless earpiece as thats on 2.4 if i recall.

The only downside of having the phone is being contactable by the wife…….

The experiences of others, suggests to me that the BMFA would benefit from revisiting their mobile phone advice. Considering the safety aspects, that of model interference, the ability to contact emergency services, lone activities in general.

From one who avoided mobile phones, I now can see I was a dinosaur, not recognising that the benefits could out weigh the debits.

Flying alone, driving a Tractor alone....( being watched by SWMBO) as I got out of the tractor the door glass fell out, hitting me on the head, she was in hysterics of laughter until she finally realised that the dogs were licking my face because I was unconcious. It was several minutes before the dawn of realisation and an ambulance was called. So yes having others there does not guarantee timely assistance. There has to be some risk in life, otherwise we do as we are told in the stated 'Nanny Culture'. I work on my own the majority of the time, with equipment capable of amputation if I am lucky and it hasn't killed me. Common sense, patience and a respect for what you are using is required. I go fishing alone...and shooting alone....maybe I'm just 'Billy no mates!). It has to be a far safer world now we have mobile phones. Also I have really enjoyed the tranquility of a lovely summer evening...flying alone 👍

I found to my cost that a smart phone would cause a 35meg RX to failsafe. The problem with multiplex RX' was that they were excellent and masking interference right up to the moment that it said@enough!' and went into failsafe.

Previous experience with a flip phone suggested no problem with having a phone in close proximity to the transmitter.

2.4 gear is a different beast but none the less I leave my phone in the car to be on the safe side.

I fly on my own often and have no qualms or reservations whatsoever in doing so.

stu k

Steve

One of my clubs flies of farmland, I have often observed the farmers working alone. The tasks you see are so varied from ditching, fencing, herding cows, as well as cutting the grass for silage. It does seem potentially a very lonely life, with so many very real opportunities for an accident. many of which could take hours to discover.

I guess where I am coming from is that time and technology changes. What once seemed sensible or just precautionary, with time proves to have either changed or just mistaken.

On that basis all rules and regulation etc benefit from periodic review, particularly when restrictive and conflict with common practises.

In the past I could not care less, now my position has changed, to the extent that my next car must have a blue tooth capability for a mobile.

I fly alone quite often, with my shift patterns I sometimes have no option if I want to get any flying done.

I see no problem with this, I am careful and always have my mobile with me.

As others have said, I drive by myself everyday, walk, watch TV and many other activities. My risk as I see it.

For me the argument that you could have a heart attack or become ill is not relevant as this could happen anytime, anywhere and I am not going to spend my life worrying about it.

As a slight point there seem to be several people saying they only fly electric but I don't think they are any safer. Many electric props are very sharp and could just as easily inflict a nasty injury. Also IC engines tend to stop if they hit anything whereas electric motors still try to turn, just drawing more current.

Posted by Mark a on 17/04/2015 13:38:04:

On the rare occasions I get to the field and no one is there I'll always keep my mobile phone on me just in case but I do tend to fly my lecy models when flying alone.

Interesting comment - the last accident to a flyer at our club (which involved a large amount of blood and a rapid self-transport to the nearest hospital) was due to knocking the throttle on an unrestrained electric model when he was operating alone.

Obviously there were several lessons to be learnt but the fact remains that electric is not necessarily safer - it's an easy trap to fall into and particularly when operating alone (which I have, and no doubt will do again when the occasion arises) there is no substitute for thinking before acting. With suitable care and thought, there should be little or no extra danger with an IC engine.

My own (thankfully relatively minor) injuries through the hobby have normally happened when under pressure, such as preparing for a combat flying launch - there's no reason why there should be any pressure when you're alone - or when attention is diverted, so it could be argued that lone flying is less hazardous in some respects! Certainly, the most serious accident I've witnessed was due to a totally unforeseen error by a clubmate who was supposed to be restraining a large model - and just let go of it!

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/04/2015 15:32:52

I prefer to fly with others - but, like most I suspect, I do occasionally fly alone if no one else happens to be there. For me its a company thing rather than a safety thing.

I feel that as long as you are sensible, and have the means to summon help if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident that might make it impossible to drive or administer to yourself, then I don't really see the problem. My club's position is that lone flying is a decision for the individual member - while not actively encouraged it is in no way "banned".

There is one interesting aspect to this debate. I think you could make a case for the fact that lone flying is actually safer! A lot of the incidents I have seen over the years were the result of pilots being distracted at critical points - such as: model assembly, pre-flights, adjusting needles etc. - by club-mates chatting to them at inappropriate times! That doesn't happen when you are on your own! Something to think about?

BEB

I am with you on that one BEB. I fly alone as the club I belonged to had to move to a more noise sensitive site which pretty well precluded use a gasser engines. So now I fly from a disused WW2 US air base that is used only occasionally by a full size aircraft. This has been the case for years and my main rules are caution, caution, caution. Always check the aircraft totally before and after flights. Indeed it is not unusual to be in the workshop a good 2 hours after flight and an hour beforehand. And by the way I have 2 mobile phones with me at all times! Like you in the past at clubs I have seen accidents caused by distractions so at least where I am now I can take my time.

Posted by Martin Harris on 19/04/2015 15:30:44:
Posted by Mark a on 17/04/2015 13:38:04:

On the rare occasions I get to the field and no one is there I'll always keep my mobile phone on me just in case but I do tend to fly my lecy models when flying alone.

Interesting comment - the last accident to a flyer at our club (which involved a large amount of blood and a rapid self-transport to the nearest hospital) was due to knocking the throttle on an unrestrained electric model when he was operating alone.

I often go walking alone. These days I am mindful of accidents and avoid potential hazards whenever possible. Why go over a slippery stile when there is an easily opening gate next to it?

By the same token, electric models can very simply be made safer by the addition of a shorting plug. Only insert the shorting plug when on the field, standing behind the model in the position ready for take off. Above accident totally avoidable.

Edited By Andy48 on 19/04/2015 21:29:45

Another interesting angle I suppose, is whether we are more likely to 'cut corners' when alone. Having others around you encourages you to both be safe, and be seen to be safe. Alone, the 'being seen to be safe' doesn't apply.

I do wonder whether the 'won't bother restraining this time, no-one will see' factor balances or outweighs the 'distraction' factor...

Just a thought I'll throw into the discussion...

I tend to be doubly careful when I'm flying alone. Our site is about a kilometre from a gate locked with a combination so even with a phone no-one could reach me easily.

Also don't expect ambulance drivers to be able to find you. About 5 years ago my wife came off her bike and broke her collar bone whilst cycling with a group barely 5 miles from the main hospital in Derby on a fairly well used lane yet the driver had no idea where Radbourne Lane was. In fact her companions phoned me at the same time and I drove over 15 miles to the spot and beat the ambulance. Many of them have only a scanty knowledge of the local geography outside the main roads.

I used to ride both motor and pedal cycles off road on my own exploring green lanes and tracks. However, on one occasion when with a friend I fell over when stopping because a shallow pudle turned out to be deeper than my leg was long. I was unhurt but I couldn't lift my 650cc BSA to get free. It could have been unpleasant if I'd been alone.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 22/04/2015 20:47:15n one occasion when with a friend I fell over when stopping because a shallow pudle turned out to be deeper than my leg was long. I was unhurt but I couldn't lift my 650cc BSA to get free. It could have been unpleasant if I'd been alone.

Geoff

Sorry Geoff, I'm sure it was not funny at the time - but that does conjure up a hilarious image! smile

BEB

in ne...1 land last year/ish............................... we had a member(in his seventies) with one of the tables you can buy and take to the field with you with his model assembled on it and starting it up with a starter........his TX was on the ground.

the model started and the TX fell forward giving the engine full throttle...the table moved forward and he did what was a natural reaction to try and stop it..the prop went straight into his fore arm and blood started to come out everywhere....I attempted to stem the flow with lots of cloths etc...and was covered in the stuff......while someone(enrico) tried to explain our location to the paramedic people....try explaining in an emergency where your fieldis located to a total stranger!.

after 1/2 an hour they did find us and he was taken to hospital...where upon release later that night he was told he had lost 1ltr of blood..

so its all very well advocating flying on your own(some have no choice) ...but had the lad in question been on his own-he would have probably been flying models up in the cloud's.

we now have a plaque installed at our site with all the reqd post codes and sat nav info clearly stated to possibly save someone  the time to come from any delays getting them assistance.

and finally I've mentioned before about the advice a while ago-if you were alone and caught your carol singers in the prop and knocked one off you would prob pass out and not come round due to the blood loss/shock and be dead in aprox 15 min...etc....all worth thinking about when you rush out to fly your latest creation.

ken Anderson............. ne....1 blood dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 23/04/2015 08:44:02

Posted by ken anderson. on 23/04/2015 08:39:33:

we now have a plaque installed at our site with all the reqd post codes and sat nav info clearly stated to possibly save someone the time to come from any delays getting them assistance.

Well, despite all of our differences of opinion about flying alone, I don't think there is any argument that this is a great idea. I'm going to look up the details for my site and print an A4 version now!

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 23/04/2015 10:08:16:
Posted by ken anderson. on 23/04/2015 08:39:33:

we now have a plaque installed at our site with all the reqd post codes and sat nav info clearly stated to possibly save someone the time to come from any delays getting them assistance.

Well, despite all of our differences of opinion about flying alone, I don't think there is any argument that this is a great idea. I'm going to look up the details for my site and print an A4 version now!

All clubs should have this. An OS map grid reference should also be on the plaque on remote sites

Perhaps in an ideal world we should have first aid kits at our flying sites although with many it would just get nicked!

Unfortunately the ambulance will not come off the tarmac road to get to you unless you are very lucky or the conditions are bone dry. They really don't like to get muddy! be prepared to assist with the medevac. (I am a member of a Search and Rescue team, we always plan to get the casualty to the nearest road.)

O.S. Grid refs are good but they probably won't understand what you're on about, although they are getting better in this respect. Get a club member to the road asap to direct them in (this is a luxury you will lose as a lone flyer of course).

How many in your club are first aid qualified, I've recently done my first aid at work 3 day course and I'm not sure I would like to deal with a profuse bleeder from a prop injury, imagine what it would be like with no training!

I fly alone quite frequently, mainly electric, but do try to maintain discipline as it is easy to become lax when you are not being watched by others.

Shaunie.