What is happening in Futaba?

R G WILLIS

I have been with futaba for 9 years, started with a 6exa then 7c and finally a 14sg

Last month I sold the lot and have gone to graupner

I was getting frustrated with the cost of telemetry receivers £85 for a 7008 is far to much, graupner receivers have telemetry as standard. I certainly wouldn't risk a 7008 in a 250 size quad

Futaba have now brought out T FHSS, cheaper telemetry receivers for the 10j which I find out don't work with the 14sg

All I wanted was telemetry that monitored lipo voltage

Peter

I haven't yet found the need for telemetry and all the other gismos, so I'm more than happy with my T8J S-FHSS Futaba set, it gives me the confidnece and reliability that I didn't get with my old Spectrum DX7, but that personal choice. I suspect Futaba will retain its share of the market and slowly transistion it's followers to FHSS protocol from FASST. Most of my models fly on 6 or 8 channel Rx, which are under £35.

What I find interesting is the cyclic shifts from brand to brand, which seems to be driven by technology advancement, whichever brand starts with telemetry, open source or whatever te next thing, ends up getting a swing across from other brands. Whilst living in the US, I saw a different shift of user, those who originally had spectrum or Futaba sets. Their shift was not to Taranis or similar, but to Airtronics (Sanwa). Most I asked, declared their shift Was driven by a desire for greater reliability/confidnece )of early spectrum users) or more programming and less complexity ( for old Futaba users) . By the time I left, I was one of the few still flying Futaba, the remainder were now flying Airtronics, helped by there relatively cheap price of both TX and Rx from US suppliers.

Edited By Reno Racer on 31/05/2015 19:42:50

Edited By Reno Racer on 31/05/2015 19:46:50

I too was a happy Futaba customer, very good 35 then 2.4 6EXA set. The higher price of the receivers over Spektrum peeved me a little bit but told myself that I was getting a better radio set. After persuasion that Futaba were likely to abandon FASST for the normal club member, me in other words, I jumped ship. I got a set that was just as reliable but with cheaper prices. I happened to buy Hitec which has been first class but I could say that about most of the other brands. The prediction has come true which is why we're having this discussion. They seem to have done too little, too late. If I was in the market for a brand new set today I would look at them but the added extras of most of the other sets would probably mean that I'd buy elsewhere

Perhaps, their problem resides with Hobbico- the organisation is far too broad and its seemingly letting them down. Their decision to discontinue some really good Great Planes models, such as the Revolver or military Steerman is perhaps an example of this.

Horizon hobby, by contrast at least cross pollinate their products through there RTF and BNF across Hangar 9, Parkzone, Eflite and Spectrum.

They probably have made a decision not to bother too much with cheap RC. The prices we are paying now are so low they could well have decided to forget about hobby RC stuff. ( even if they have not actually decided this then our lack of brand loyalty will surely force it.   Once loyal users are leaving Futaba in droves now!)

Japan no longer makes the cheap & cheerful stuff anyway.

Japanese company strategy has always been to do things for the long term. Their financial system makes this possible

I would expect the Futaba name to appear on other types of equipment instead..

Edited By kc on 01/06/2015 13:02:10

Agreed, that used to be the way we bought. If we had Futaba TX, Rx charger, switch & servos we didnt switch to Sanwa Tx because nothing else fitted ( easily) That was in the days they were made in Japan. Now it's all mix & match servo, ESC, servo extension leads etc so we are not tied in as much

People seem to want an expensive Tx just because it's expensive. It's become a snob thing. They want an expensive Tx to show off to their friends but they dont worry about using it with cheap 'compatible' Rx and cheap servos inside the plane where they cannot be seen!

Futaba may have adopted the ( old ) Rolls Royce idea - they didn't bother with entry level models! Someone probably worked ou that it costs little more (if any ) to produce a 1500 pound Tx as it does for a 100pound one.

That's a good thing! If your 1500 pound Tx shows some slight problem are you going to throw it aside? Of course not . If it's a 100 pound one most people would just throw it out. Most people would reckon the replacement new 100 pound Tx would be more likely to be reliable than the repaired 1500 pound job too.

Actually I would expect Futaba to concentrate on selling expensive gear to crane operators and a few RC snobs with money rather than compete with FrSky etc. And maybe there is an unknown market for bespoke RC type gear in nuclear power, driverless cars/trains or telemetry for F1 and industry etc which is getting their attention.

I think Jeti are in a slightly different place to Futaba in two respects:

1. They have not closed their eyes to significant technical developments - their kit is pretty leading edge in that respect I believe.

2. They don't, and never have, courted a mass market. Their business model is very firmly positioned at the top end.

So I think Jeti could do what some people think Futaba are trying to do - ie successfully focus on just the top end of the market. I don't really believe that is Futaba's plan - frankly (and this is the sad bit) I'm not convinced that Futaba have a plan!

BEB

I say kc, there are some of us who buy a so called "expensive TX" who are not RC snobs. I don't think it's correct to generalise like that, how little you think of human nature. Anyway as a solo flyer I would not have an body to "show it of to" as you state! I buy a top of the range TX because I want one. One that has the stuff on it I need. And by the the way if it is a Futaba TX, which is my preference, the whole kit that goes inside it is also Futaba because I have always found it bullet proof during the last 15 years I have used various set ups. I am no expert on the business plan of Futaba and I am probably not that interested either. If they market want I need I will of course buy it.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 01/06/2015 15:45:26

Beyond reliability of their sets and protocol used, after scrambling around at the bottom of the barrel, one thing IMHO Futaba do have in their favour is that their sets do look nice. A bit left field I know, but some of theses flash😉 type sets reviewed in the recent mag might have all the new features, but they do look cheap and plasticy, a bit like some of the low end Spectrum stuff. At least the Futaba sets always seem to look nice aesthetically.

Obviously, without a recognisable business marketing plan that attracts buyer, looking good gets you nowhere. Come on Futaba, please get a grip.

some aspects of the discussion have re-enforced my perception in that things are now different.

It was only a few years ago, it seems, that at club No1. that a few of competitors in the Open Glider League would get together as a group of mates.

It was then that I saw my first Jeti. I was immediately struck by the B&O aspect of it. What did impress me that this was the first time that I saw data of amps drawn, graphs of time and height etc. As the owner poured over all this data, in conjunction with another good Doctor and Professor.

The bling left me unmoved, the data really impressed me, but at what price. Now very, very, much cheaper RC sets can have the same facilities available. The whole package being affordable to most.

Now I see occasionally some F3b types, who generally use the top end of the market equipment such as Hott, Multiplex and briefly a Tarnis, although I did not understand what I had seen. Why bother, was at the back of my mind. Then you come to see, that the Tx does an awful lot of the flying, with various set ups being switched in and out dependant on the task and point in the task. At the speeds and loads that these types of models go you really do need a good onboard package to.

There is an irony though, what the top end of the range Txs could uniquely do, is often done just as effectively by pretty much the budget end today, if price is the determinant.

This really does leave Futaba in a very small market, as in essence the product is pretty much matched and equalled by many, the brand relies increasingly on the Badge.

I am now wondering, are there many more significant changes, or the consolidation on the new order. Surely what else can be provided beyond Telemetry, high capability Txs, with real time information on the model performance.

On this basis Jeti, Hott, Multiplex are just as hard to justify as Futaba, some more, "never mind the quality, just feel the width".

Justin,

I'm writing from the US. for the same amount in American dollars I can buy a Taranis. Actually I have one. It is a far more complete system than is the T6J. it more nearly approaches the 18 channel Futaba. I don't see any reason for being labelled a snob for buying the T6J. Rather, I would feel like I wasn't a very good shopper.

James Fuller

Hey , Good on you James Fuller and God Bless America...

I believe over there you have "The right to bear arms"? Over here in the UK we have" The right of freedom of choice"

You say tomado ....................

Posted by Percy Verance on 01/06/2015 21:45:00:

As with the next level set up the range (the good old 7c) you can't actually have something as simple or straightforward a switchable aileron rudder mix. You can only switch the mix in permanently. This lack of facilities and flexibility is disappointing to say the least, even on an entry level set.

Also, there's absolutely no potential to expand the system, so you'd have no choice but to move up the range if your modelling interests developed (as most do) to gain more software flexibility. And of course there's no chance of telemetry with Fut's 6ch sets. Ok, not many newbies will even think about telemetry, but the fact is the competitors have it and score more marketing brownie points (and sales!) as a result.

I've no idea what Futaba are playing at, but I can see where it's all going......

You can certainly have switchable mixes on the 6J, Percy. It's just that it's a programmable mix rather than pre-set. But since all it involves is defining the master and slave channels, it's hardly a limitation. You can set two programmable mixes (each switchable with user assigned switches) in addition to V-tail, flapperon and elevon pre-set mixes. What more do you want from a entry level set?

But if I want that level of functionality I will buy a £30 set from China, probably made in the same factory and of similar quality. If I am paying that much for a tx I am expecting top of the range functionality, not an entry level set.

AJ

Always amuses me that people spend so much time over the looks (or otherwise to their taste) of a Tx.

If I'm looking at my Tx I'm setting a model or I'm bored at home!

Reliability, comfort, feel, functionality...and ultimately price...but looks??? Not here........................

My 10CG continues to give good service paired with a Taranis, but will I ever buy another Futaba Tx? Seems VERY unlikely.

The "it looks plasticky" comments get thrown at the Taranis, but its feel and functionality equal or surpass the 10CG, and THAT is what really matters.

I have the same cosmetics over function issues currently with a lot of HK Lancaster owners, with them adding detail left right and centre that can never be seen in the air. (Example 1. a full crew!!) Each to their own?, well not when they then moan vociferously when it fails to fly well enough!!

As for those who spend ages water dipping a Tx case to get a particular pattern painted on it...............Hello, its meant to FLY PLANES guys, not impress an art critic.

A Tx is a hand held functional tool, if you feel the need for art, go to a gallery or buy some canvas and oils!!!

Coat, get............................