Windows 10 - Any Advice

Neil67

I know this is off topic but the forum is great for advice so I thought I would ask. A windows symbol has recently appeared on the bottom line of my laptop offering me a free copy of Windows 10 when it is released next month. The offer appears to come from microsoft. Some questions.

Does this sound correct and if so are there any IT gurus out there than can comment on whether or not this is a good idea, given Microsoft's recent efforts. Similarly, I am cautious about being an early adopter! Any advice much appreciated.

Neil

Advert

Hello Neil,

It was on BBC news a few month back that Microsoft are indeed offering a free upgrade to windows 10 for users of the more recent windows.

Im currently using win 8.1 and I also have the win 10 icon you mention above

Craig

EDIT: Sorry cross post with Alec...  Ive just followed through the reservation link and it all seems tickety boo.

Edited By Craig Carr on 03/06/2015 21:52:25

Windows 10 is indeed pukka release, scheduled for late July

and Microshaft are offering free upgrades to Win7 and 8 users

However if wont be going to Win10 at least not for 2 or 3 months to let all the initial bug fixing happen first

Its not called the bleeding edge of technology for nothing.......

I'm on W8.1 and it is genuine - details here. I've registered for it, too. One of the principal features will be a return to the classic Start menu and not the touch-screen based 8.1 screen. Having said that, it wasn't difficult to find a classic screen for 8.1 and I run with that at present.

Pete

As has been said users of Windows 7 or 8 can have Windows 10 for free ... but they need to register and the offer is only for 12 months from the release date.

I wouldn't follow the link on your task bar just in case. . Just head to the Microsoft site and find the details there to register yourself.

Now i wonder if they can combine FPV and Hololens goggles into one .. it is part of Windows 10 and is pretty cool. ...

http://youtu.be/aThCr0PsyuA

Which? ( Consumers Association) stated a few months back that the Windows 10 upgrade would be available free from Microsoft for 1 year from the release date.

However if you read the Microsoft site you will see some warnings about not being able to go back to your previous Windows unless you have the disc to do a complete reinstall. Also note the dates when Vista & Win 7 will no longer be supported.

I've been using the Windows 10 technical preview for quite some time now, dual booting my Win 7 install (just in case!) It's very good, but they have plenty of work to do before the release date. Thankfully SolidWorks and my Up 3D printer software run on it still, so have been getting lots of testing in.

Windows 10 runs faster and is less resource hungry than previous OS'es too, which can only be a good thing - I think they have a winner on their hands.

Windows 9 was skipped due to some internal numbering thing at Microsoft.

As Andy alluded to, Windows 9 couldn't be used due to the legacy versions 95 and 98; software installers check for the Windows version and one of the strings they check is Win9 which matches 95 and 98, but would also match Windows 9 and 9.0, etc.

There was some talk about 10 being distributed for free but then needing to be paid for to use, along the lines of Office 365; I'm not sure if it was pay to use your PC for a month, for example or pay to get updates and support.

Mac have moved to the no cost upgrade for the operating system so perhaps that has influenced Microsoft.

By coincidence my invitation to reserve 'W10' popped up today (I'm currently on W7), so I went ahead and reserved it. The end user is left to decide when to activate the install.

Edited By avtur on 04/06/2015 19:15:04

• 1 month later...

I read the other day windows 10 will remove some of the ability to personalise the OS; additionally it will include automatic mandatory updates - all of which you may not necessarily want!..

I would only opt for a new OS when it has run for a few months to let other correct the issues, much the same with any new product.. Take this time to read up on its features to see if they are exactly what your expect, want or need!

Future support dates on software is here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/lifecycle

Edited By Area 51 on 29/07/2015 10:36:09

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 04/06/2015 12:48:51:

As Andy alluded to, Windows 9 couldn't be used due to the legacy versions 95 and 98; software installers check for the Windows version and one of the strings they check is Win9 which matches 95 and 98, but would also match Windows 9 and 9.0, etc.

Windows 9 was eaten by Windows 7 (I know this because 7 8 9)! Sigh!

Interesting article in this months issue of Web User giving the pros and cons of upgrading to Windows 10

Perhaps their most pertinent advice is that even if MS 10 is relatively stable it will need a load of updates to fix all the problems which will crop up in the early months from it's launch, so it's best to stick with your existing operating system until all these glitches have been ironed out. More troubling is that the updates will be mandatory. Home users will have no say in which updates are installed and when. If you have ever had to disable Windows Update which sometimes screws up rather than improves your operating system or security this not necessarily good news.

I have just upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate​

No problems, I accept that there will be a few niggling problems

my windows 10 reserve icon disappeared so I used the download tool in link below. this can be used for upgrading or downloading an iso for standalone/clean install. use at own risk

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited By Gavin Mack on 29/07/2015 17:05:52

Well done Craig. I have tried twice just to set up a schedule for install date. Fell at first fence with two "something went wrong, try again later" messages. My laptop is fairly new with windows seven. Let us know how you get on after a few days/weeks.