Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

Well I for one am getting out far more than I usually do and clocking up a good number of flights. Long may it last. It feels like living near the Med.

The harder than usual runway is suiting one or two models better than others. My Chilli Wind, wide stance taildragger, likes it, the RM Trainer with its trike gear also does, the Bi Fly with a slightly forward, narrow and high UC, not so much. My foamie MX2 will nose over on any ground, but it's UC is useless.

This week I have a newly inherited (and quite well used) Pushycat style model - although a touch bigger at 42" and about 3lb (I think built on some Mirus wings) - to "re-maiden".

Had a great day Saturday flying my World models Spitfire which has a great performance with its Laser 80. I did my first bit of “Warbird formation flying” with a clubmate piloting his very nice Seafire(navy Spitfire) powered by an OS 120fs. The two planes sounded great together with their 4s sound and it was much harder than I had anticipated trying to keep in formation . I must admit I purposely missed out my club mates synchronised “loop” command as I wasn’t ready ! Great fun!

On Sunday I flew my Seagull P47 (my favourite) having had a really good flight I flat stalled it on landing whilst attempting to go around and sadly broke a wing ( new wings now on order) . The P47 with its Laser 100 has been my “go to” Warbird and has had s lot of flights so I’m not too sad about my mistake . Hopefully it will soon be up for more action 😊

Along with the other 30, 000 model fliers i have been out, flying my models.

Somethings never change though, United Utilities had more road works on the principal road that I take. Then of course those Fracking protestors were back, although not closing the road. I guess the rather serious, fit looking (rather than the rolly poly) police persons were a serious deterrent. Although the protestors still wander into the path of cars that do not beep in support.

On that basis on Saturday I decided to take the coast road to our site. What a mistake, why, because an attempt at a Guinness record was taking place on the beach. The coast road itself was closed, the detour went at a snails pace. Oh, if my state education had only taught me to read. Then I would have read all about it in the local rag. Oh, if I only had a bit of commence sense, I should have thought that the Lytham festival, with all the singing artists, would have have hoards of the holiday and day trippers in town. I did not twig the obvious, when I was going to see El Divo on the Sunday Night. How dim can one be?

My flying has been mixed. After another repair to the Do 335, it has finally bit the dust. All the repairs, the checks, the hours of blood, sweat, and tears, had it spin out of the sky, totally unresponsive, smiting the ground with a mighty thwack. For £20 from BRC hobbies, years of successful, pleasure laden flights, not bad value.

My Junkers/ Meschersmitt 263 has flown a few times. It needs more development and repairs, as it goes posterior over chest, when it lands. This is due to running out of elevator as it does not flair to land, then going, you know the rest.

The brilliant news is that my HK Arcus is now fling like a Pushy Cat. The one down side is that it is not as sprightly on a APC style prop, as it was on the original Gemfan prop. Weight really does matter, it seems.

At long last my old Ta 152H is back in the air, thanks to a club member launching it for me. I have cut down on elevator throw. One thing I have learnt at my new club is that it is better to harmonise the controls, than to fly round the vastly differing reactions of the model.

Other than that I continue flying the Sterling Kits Stinson, the PM Cassut, he really needs to scale this model up to about 50" span and Bills Models Slingsby T67, which rather flatters the flier.

As to the smaller stuff, it will have to remain my Delta and bring the Pushy Cat back into service.

Long Live Summer!

Sadly, I too couldn't resist the weather and my lidl glider paid the price! I let one of my friends who flies quad copters chase me. There I am having a wonderful time with my lidl glider and then he cuts the tail of mid flight with his props! All that being said I was up at the club yesterday and having a wonderful time flying my Super 60 and Vampire.

image1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not in our part of the South East - windy and raining on the South Downs, completely contrary to the forecast!!

Oh well, gives me a bit of time to put some extra colour on my Wot4 XL, which I find hard to see clearly (who thought GREEN would be a good colourcheeky).

Kim

Day 1 of a big weekend at our club yesterday.

Image may contain: shoes and text

Yesterday was our WW1 and Vintage Model day.

I took the Junior 60, the Baron, the Senior Telemaster and the 1/6 scale BE2e. The weather was perfect as were the organisation and catering!

The Junior 60 was photographed in flight by a club colleague with a very expensive camera. I had three flights with that.

The inverted SC 32 in the Baron failed to start until I was helped by two enthusiasts from Limoges. I flew it for a couple of circuits before the engine cut and I had to land in an adjacent field. On inspection we found out that it had run out of fuel!

I hadn't flown the Senior Telemaster for a good long while but I had no problems with it, its Thunder Tiger 91 starting up straight away. I had four flights with it, amusing myself by flying lazy horizontal eights at altitutude using the just the rudder to turn the model and the engine speed to control height.

Unfortunately I'd left the receiver switch on in the BE2 so the battery was flat and I was unable to fly it. I've charged it overnight and I hope to fly it later today. My colleague's Farman 11 flew but like the full-size it is not easy to fly.

I was introduced to two South Africans and two Englishmen who are returning to the hobby. Fortunately only two of them want me to teach them how to fly r/c. The other two are happy enough flying control line and free-flight models.

Then I got cornered by the local stringer who asked about WW1 markings and my participation in La Coupe Des Barons.

All things considered a very successful day. I'm looking forward to today's fly-in.

junior 60 in flight.jpg

Senior Telemaster

francois farman.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 19/08/2018 07:35:41

How complacent we all become, when finally the misery of winter and spring departed, a flush of members descended upon the field, people who as a new member I had no idea who they were, not a clue about names. Some came so infrequently they had no idea as to the various combination locks. As the summer wore on less members wee present, as one sunny and balmy day morphed into the next. This is going on for ever, I started to think, yes, let Global Warming gather pace.

The traumas of my journeys to the field were again taken for granted. United Utilities road works would continue to spring up, particularly along the route of the new pipe line. Injunctions would have no impact on the Fracking Protestors, as they were allowed to flout what ever laws they wished. A University professor shouting that our water supplies would be polluted for ever, that flames will be leaping from our taps (although our water supply comes from the trough of Bowland), as I waited and waited to be waved past the protestors. All so boring, but the repetition some how reassuring, this is how it will be for my forever.

Then approx a fortnight back, I was down at the field, Billy no Mates, as all had gone to some flying event or the Blackpool Air Display.

I had my Peter Miller Cassutt up in the air, cruising about at about 100, maybe 200 foot, when I became aware of a drone, of a largish airplane, is he near was my concern? Then I spotted what it was, heading in my direction and very low, much lower than I think I had seen an airplane at the field. I immediately took action and landed. Oh, the delinquent aircraft, a AVRO Lancaster. The aircraft swung into an arc, and was soon heading back towards Blackpool. Oh, if only I had a camera and knew how to use it, or even had my phone turned on.

At this point I decided to ready my delta, and went for it. No sooner was i up and doing circuits and things and the Lancaster was heading back. Down I came again. This time I rushed to get the phone camera up and running. I snapped a picture as it retreated from my awed gaze. I guess you will expect to see a picture?

I now decided to just sit back and watch the participants of the air show, from the comfort of a club reclining chair. Alas not one aircraft came that close or low again, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

What I did see was a Fairy Stringbag at height, four aerobatic aircraft formating up and testing their smoke systems, heard the thunderess roar of a Typhoon, where ever it was and a few other aircraft.

A Stringbag at height.

wp_20180811_14_22_38_pro.jpg

Well I can see the Tower, the pimple on the horizon, but where the, is the Lancaster?

wp_20180811_13_43_50_pro.jpg

Then as swiftly as summer arrived it had gone and I have not been able to fly since.crying 2crying 2crying 2

Flew my Flair SE5A , Easy Rider , and Twinstar 2 last Tuesday as the weather was ideal. However I had the assistance of club mate and biplane expert Peter Bruce to maiden the SE5A that I have owned for 4 years, and he was most impressed with it's performance which he described as vice less. However it highlighted my left-hand rudder piloting flaws as in accordance with Flair designer Dudley Pattinson's recommendations, the plane needs both aileron and rudder to make especially right turns, so I have had to get on the flight simulator to practice subsequently.

The 12 year old Twinstar 2 performed as usual and was ideal for some rudder only turns. The 30 year old plus Easy Rider needed re-trimming as I had changed the radio to 2.4 GHZ. As Peter described the Easy Rider is meant to be a trainer but on full throttle with the Enya 45 it is extremely rapid.

I was hopeful that the SE5A could feature in the club's scale day on Sunday, but the event seems to be threatened again by the weather.

Micro Mold Easy Rider 1970s Plane with Enya 45

001.jpg

I forgot to mention that the last flight of the day was made with the Easy Rider. By this time the wind had changed from a light breeze off the sea to a fresher wind off the land, a change of 180 degrees. The plane which is no lightweight, got caught in a thermal and with the throttle on idle it gained a significant height, something that happened last time I flew the plane at Bartons Point . It's a pity we did not have a power glider with us.

Hmm, no, during this last summer, I didn't fly anything. Too darn hot for my liking,

But now I've turned 65 I've flown twice since the 15th of Aug. Once at the 1066 Model Flying Club near Hastings, and once at my regular spot, Little Haldon nr Exeter.

And if it gets that blimmin hot again next year, I shan't be going outside then either! Us vampires have to stop indoors see. face 13

• 10 months later...

I han't flown up until a couple of weeks ago due to family problems. Now it's taking me a little time to get back into the swing of things - I'd forgotten all the joys of hayfever!

Today, with great sadness I laid to rest my faithful old HK Kawasaki Ki61. Maybe not that restful - tentpegged after torque rolling on take-off. On the other hand, I maidened my H9 Ultra Stick 10cc with my usual 6S setup. Very nice, and satisfying too after demolishing the Ki61.

• 1 year later...

20201228_153135.jpg

20201228_153120.jpg

Back home from a busy Christmas day with two extended families across three generations. Thought I would take the opportunity to head out to my club field, Christchurch Model Aero Club (CMAC). Mini Robot and Can Doo. Mini Robot is great plane fly any time to keep your thumbs "calibrated". Down here in NZ we are very lucky at the moment with COVID and the weathers looking OK too. All the best everyone and stay safe.