Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

i braved the heat today and went flying.

should have stayed home and drunk beer instead.

first flight and only just got off the ground when a big gust caught it and flipped it over and sent it cart wheeling down the runway.

oops.

time for some repairs.

Tony B

Thats a shame Tony Looks a good en too,

I went out yesterday to the flat field and flew some of my models ,But i was the only one their, why Oh yes it was windy.

I also went out this afternoon spent several hours stood at the top of a hill Flying My Lidl Glider who would of thought so much could be achieved with so lidl.

mk2 finished.jpg

Steve

My blood is boiling, I eventually made it to the field. It is those Fracking protesters again. Today they have closed of the A583. I had to go miles out of my way, along minor country lanes. Apparently for the last few days many motorists going to work have been delayed for over 2 hours by the unsavoury antics.

I have been further incensed to see and hear on the BBC news, that the protestors are complaining of over zealous policing and heavy handed behaviour of the security staff. No mention of the intimidation of drivers passing by, that they suddenly just step into the path of vehicles, that some have been putting cardboard boxes over their heads before wandering into the road. I am neither for against the fracking at present, if these people were football fans, they probably would be facing custodial sentencing for many aspects of what they seem to be getting up to.

On a more pleasant note, I had a short session today, before hayfever and the need to get home for an appointment with a plumber (central heating playing up),

The wind seemed to come from the North today, which is across our patch. Take off into wind, landing across the wind, just inside our flight line, then ruddered into wind. Landing was not my best, as the model just dropped the last 300mm.

Still boiling, must have a medicinal whisky.

Very late in from work but with such nice weather for a change I just had to get out, even just for an hour or so.

Went playing with the many tractor eggs decorating our field at the moment! Touch and go's and low passes between and over the obstacles had me chuckling to myself!

20170712_203624.jpg

Spot landing? Nobody else was there so as far as I'm concerned, it happened! laugh

20170712_203917.jpg

Finished the third flight flying high and slow until the fuel ran out. Deadstick landing on the strip, wipe down and packed away. So much fun the AcroWot never came out of the car!

Me, fed up with the winds in SW France. Tried to fly a HK Tundra today. Horrendous turbulence, never though it was great flying conditions, but flipping onto wintips was not expected. Came in to land, and got a 45 degree wind shear, and it was heading straight for me. I was on my own, so let it have its head, and put it down near the pits with more heart wrenching moments. Went home. 40 kilometres for 90 seconds in the air.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure about summer but ive been to our club this morning and had 4 or 5 flights with my foamy prop jets,great fun just hovering in the wind and seeing how far I could fly backwards in the 15/20 mph winds,as nobody else turned up I eventually turned for home,great models all year round but especially when you don't want to risk the larger model in the blustery conditions.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Summer is here, where.

I went to the field today, having returned from a holiday in Austria, or the Eastern Empire, Just one forlorn figure was there, standing stoically against the blast from the Irish Sea.

In my absence the Fylde has suffered a total failure of water supply. This explains the very low pressure that my house has experienced for several weeks. At long last United Utilities have kicked their workers or contractors into installing some new mains water pipes along the route I take to the field.At leat something appears to be happening, after watching workers enjoy day long tea brakes. Yep I am a grumpy old man

It appears the BBC are the PR Company representing the fracking protesters from what I am told, criticising the Police for assertive action against what can only be called ------------------- (insert your own description for thuggish breakers of UK laws). Today in an otherwise empty traffic free road, a protester just stepped out into my path, then a little further on a woman waved a placard at the car, moving towards me. The police on the opposite of the road, watched, disinterested. I am neither for or against the fracking. i am totally appalled by the protesters, that litter verge with tents and rubbish,and can only be called louts. I am totally shocked that councillors who are only to keen to fine or take to court rate payers, yet see themselves as not constrained by laws they do not approve of. I am told the BBC avoid reporting this aspect.

I stayed at the field chatting for about one hour, no one else came, even though the sun shone. I may have had a go with some company. I just did not want to be lone crasher with a single witness, to my incompetence.

Perhaps later this week? Who knows, I can only hope. I will probably take a glider as they can handle really strong wind.

My final grumble is that even during thunderstorms and rain, there was apparently very little if any wind in Austria. most of the time the sun shone, and the air was really warm. Summers is where.

My chat revealed that Traplet have gone into liquidation, so no more Model world? I was also told that this site has a news clamp down on developments in our hobby that we all wish not to happen. In situations like this, I feel for the staff as well as the company, as all tend to be committed to the hobby and have no intention of failing

Edited By Erfolg on 30/07/2017 20:01:44

Is no one else going flying?

Saturday, a bit windy here by the coast, I decide to go flying, as it seems a lietime since the weather was good enough to.

I manage to drive about a mile from my house, to be stuck in a jam. Oh, am i grumpy, even more so when i discover it is United Utilities. Another set of 4 way traffic lights. Yet again no one working. I even notice it is almost a week since I last past, and a particular label on a pipe is in exactly the same position. I am now incandescent, whilst passing through Germany, I was amazed to see that the Germans not only have road works, they hundreds of people machines actually working on their motorways, or is that Autobahns. OMG was i livid, one hour to go nowhere.

Then I flew into a rage coming back home, as Fylde council over the years have been busy, making use of the country lanes difficult, or just straight forward closures.

Anyway, on my way past the fracking site. Police on one side of the road, on the other are the protestors, glowering at possibly the police, more likely the indifference of the motorists. This state of affairs calmed me down. I was not delayed.

At the field, my reputation proceeded me, no one else was there. I strode onto the patch. The grass is in a fine condition. Meanwhile a light aircraft crossed over the back of our field. It had me thinking, is that 400 feet up, I guess yes. Hmmm 400 feet is not very high, I thought, as I noted that it was lower than a large number of Gulls were flying much higher, directly above. I did rather churlishly think, I bet that is reported as a group of quads flying in the path of an aircraft.

I flew a glider, not much fun, I guess my mind set is no longer into gliding. I much prefer being with a group of other modellers. For me grumbling about people who are not working for my pension, after all the years I worked for others.

I went home, choosing a different route. As I trundled along, two full size Spitfires flew across my path, then disappearing over the horizon. It was beautiful. Later at home i saw a Lancaster, which does little for me. I have thought of building one, pretty much a box with a big wing. Anyway, I continued my drive home, the sat nav suggesting this route is approx.3 miles longer.

I then thought perhaps a Manchester, two engines is easier to build, plus a bit different.

When my wife cam home, I railed at her over the roadworks. Well, she said, being a shareholder of United Utilities, why not go to the next AGM. Tell them as a member of the community they have failings. If you really want to upset them, ask why are they wasting your money as a shareholder and customer paying workmen to do nothing, under utilising plant and equipment. I am sure they will appreciate it. Have you ever thought of running for council, I am sure that if elected the employees will appreciate that they are totally incompetent. Perhaps not, she could be winding me up.sad

I do wonder, is every one else obsessive with regard the weather forecast. I check my phone generally to ascertain the general weather for the week. The day before a std. flying day I take particular not. With emphasis on the wind strength, then direction. As for rain, I trust to luck.

Sunday the wind was going to abate. I had been threatened with my 10 year old granddaughter as a companion. With this I had a last minute reprieve. I have learnt my lesson, I took my new route along the sea front, past the Lytham Festival. There is no one there at this time of the mid morning. Just a few dog walkers on the promenade. What seems like cars left behind after the Saturday night revelries at the proms or just a night out.

It appears no one has told the other club members that I was going, as the car park was pretty full, that is about 6 vehicles, with room for no more than another +20. As I drive up i can see at least 3 models in the flight preparation area. Getting out of the car, i am pleased that the wind speed is quite moderate. I spot my press ganged test pilot in the pits, preparing his model for flight. Walking to the flight line I am shocked by a blast of wind, whoa, this is a bit of a breeze i think.

It is now or never I think, I have carted my Arcus to the field for what seems like a month now, either far to windy, or the test pilot is missing. The last time out flying i was alarmed in that the model had started to either pitch up or down when turning, unpredictably. I checked the CG, which appeared to be right, although there was evidence that the battery had moved back. No amount of velcro, as an attachment or as a strap, was keeping it consistently in the most forward position. So I accept it would remain in a rearward position, unable to move forward. I then put a roof load of lead in the front, to give a slight nose down sit.

My test pilot took the model up, a few clicks of up trim (I think) pronounces it is a pussy cat. He lands the model, which was hair raising as an observer. At this point I decide to measure the wind speed. The max is 22mph, the min is 13 mph. Probably the most frequent air speed is about 15-16mph. But boy is it gusty.

A little later my test pilot takes his pretty big petrol aerobatic model up. I casually watch it for 10 or so minutes, after which as an observer the novelty of the big FIA type schedule is boring. Chatting and ogling a jet in the pits, I become aware something is amiss. Yep the big jobby has gone in.

A number of tramp of to the adjacent field, stand shocked, in awe of the crop of Maize. It stands tall, it reminds me of the Himalayan balsam at Sale, at least there is no river I think. We are organised into a search pattern, and move forward. All the old memories flood back, I cannot see beyond 3 feet around, I think, I could walk straight past the model if it is just 4 feet away. More searchers join us, we are reorganised and sally forth again. Alas in vain.

I fly my trainer in a landing pattern, over and over again, to try to provide some clue and orientation for the ground searchers. On take off i nearly stuff it in, as it swerves hard left at near the point of leaving the ground, a hard right rudder sees it equally suddenly leave the ground and drop a wing. I bang in left aileron and overdo it, followed by a similar amount of right aileron and again overdo it. Thankfully the model sorts itself out. At least the landing was without trauma.

Apparently a large quad with camera is being brought in on Tuesday to do an aerial search.

At this point I have far to much excitement and go home, via the moss, across the main drain, to Lytham. Now late afternoon, the revellers for the nights festivities are arriving. I remind myself, this is a lot, lot quicker. I may not like travelling along twisty country lanes that pass as a "A" road, but the route is not without merit, other than my 30-40 mph frustrates some. For me it is frustrating that even though i try to make it easy for people to overtake, they seem reluctant.

Well what a nice day it has been today .

On the spur of the moment i grabbed a few planes and went out as it looked as though the weather report was wrong and in fact was going to be a nice day .

Grabbed a glider just in case it was blowing a gale when i got to the field . And i took my Foam Sipa 200 and My Guppy. I had charged my Guppy the week before but as it was too windy so did not get to fly it and i did not charge any Lipo Batteries up.

Luckily i had one charged Lipo for the Sipa so flew that then i flew the pants of my Guppy had about five flights of that .

Felt so chilled out after twiddling the sticks after such a long break.

Steve smiley

Posted by john stones 1 on 13/08/2017 21:12:32:

Good day at ours today hot broke one of my arms though sad

Luckily it was only on my quad, tried my first loop n ran out of brain cells. wink

brain cells on back order & in short supply

I went flying last week and I crashed my well-flown ARTF Stick. Mind you I was flying like an idiot. The crash was probably caused by pilot error but it could have been radio failure. My Spektrum DX9 had packed up the previous week, it had simply stopped transmitting so I reverted to my DX6i. I range tested it before flight so I doubt that it was the equipment. RIP Stick. Curiously enough while the model disintegrated into four pieces, the engine and propeller were quite undamaged! I was thinking of ordering another as they're only 99€ ($117 US or £90 Sterling) but I've several incomplete projects in the building room to be getting on with.

stick 1.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 14/08/2017 07:58:07