Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

Advert

Unfortunately no video Steven. I'll have to sort out a hat cam one day!

Nice consistent lift and a wind speed around 12-15mph David. Ironicly the rest of the family are in Prestatyn this weekend and I was going to join them and fly at the Orme but I was hoping for a SW wind to fly from the tank track. I'm not keen flying from the NW to E face out over the sea! blush Makes me nervous! laugh NW suits Bosley Cloud and it's only a 5 minute drive for me too!

I've been lucky enough to be able to go and fly most days during the past month. Typically, I've arrived at the field between 8:00 - 8:30am each morning, a time when the air is at it's calmest and the temperature are at a bearable 20 - 22 C.

At this time of the morning my Spanish mates are nowhere to be found and I generally have the place to myself for a couple of hours. I'm always extra conscious of the potential hazards to myself when flying alone of course, although the general tranquility of the situation lends itself to calm and sensible thoughts and practices. It's also an ideal time to hone the flying skills an a methodical way or try out a new manouvre, or combination of manouvres.

Generally, I find myself flying my much loved Acromaster which is still as the day it was maidened with all original kit and 300 plus flights to it's credit. I also enjoy the little Hummer EPP foamie which I bought second hand.

Recently, I've rediscovered the joys of flying a simple 3 channel model in the guise of my Graupner Elektro Uhu. I replaced the brushed motor with a brushless inrunner eons ago and power it with a 3S 1300mah lipo. A gentle launch, followed by max throttle and it's a spec in the sky reasonably swiftly. Then, plonk myself in a chair and it's just a matter of allowing the Uhu to fly as if a FF model, with the only input from me being an occasional nudge of rudder. It really is a wonderful, simple, stress free type of flying. I've been enjoying up to 30 minute flights of this nature and it makes a great counterpoint to flying more complex models. In addition, it seems to be befitting the time of day, the solitude and the backdrop of the Pyrenees.I've been enjoying up to 30 minute flight of this nature Yesterday morning was extra special though as the Uhu was accompanied in flight by an Eagle and we soared together for many minutes. Of course, I hadn't attached my mobius to the model for this flight and my camera was still in the boot of the car several metres away!

Then at about 10:30, one or two friends may turn up, and may or may not elect to fly but will tend to a small vegetable patch in which are planted tomatoes, cucumbers and melons.

An hour later, I'm ready to leave my friends behind and come home, as by now the temperature is in the high 20's and becoming a tad unbearable for a Brit such as myself. But, I come home very satisfied after enjoying some very relaxing stress free flying in a beautiful location with the knowledge that I can repeat it again tomorrow if I so desire.

Oh the simple pleasures of life.

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 01/08/2016 18:42:14

Yesterday was a very busy day for me. The club was due to fly at the village fete of Sazeray, population 360, but the event clashed with a wine festival in the nearby town of Crevant, so 08.30 hours saw your humble servant meet the club treasurer and fellow wine aficionado behind the marie in Crevant. By 09.00 we'd sampled several wines; I bought three boxes, Fabrice, having said that he wasn't going to buy any, bought two! Then it was off to Sazeray.

People must have come in from many kilometres as there must have been well over 1000 people there. There was a big car boot sale, a bar, a kitchen and a band which played North African music. After a while it got on your nerves! At lunchtime we were given a free "aperitif." We then had a free lunch. We had melon as a starter followed by a choice of chips with either pork sausage, or beef and lamb sausage, or pork cutlets, bread and cheese, and ice cream as a desert. I had the pork and it was delicious. In the afternoon we had a beer courtesy of the organisers.

We flew off a field which had been cleared of cows. The farmer had mowed the grass pretty short and had mowed a big landing strip even shorter. Of course, some of the cows had left their calling cards behind. I flew the Senior Telemaster and the Stick. The STM because it has large enough wheels to deal with the
surface and the Stick because it is fairly high-powered being fitted with an Irvine 46. It's also an expendable ARTF! I'd brought along the Fun-Fly as a reserve model but didn't fly it as I didn't want to clean three models!
Others flew electric powered stuff. Only my mate Roger Aubard flew anything different, the 23cc Supre Tigre powered glider tug and the club's trainer, OS 46 AX up.

I displayed the BE2 and the half-built Veron Cardinal in the static display section. Dan Hunn, the only other Englishman in the club, displayed a beautiful quarter-scale Mick Reeves Blackburn Monoplane powered
by a Laser 120. He hasn't maidened it yet so didn't fly it. I was nearly
wiped out by our youngest member whose trainer went off track on take off. The glue joint on the fin had failed.

I gave a demonstration on how you could save money in the hobby by buying cheap second-hand engines. I'd brought along my test stand and started two of the engines I bought last week, the Enya 45 and the OS 40 V. I made great play out of telling everyone that these engines had only cost me 1 Euro 33
centimes! The Enya was pretty noisy but I demonstrated that it could be made more quiet by attaching an Irvine Mouse supplementary silencer to the exhaust pipe. I tried the garden-fork-and-cable-tie trick on the tuned pipe
of the OS. It only worked for a few seconds because the ground was rock hard and when the fork fell over it pulled out the tuned pipe. This resulted briefly in a huge increase in noise before the engine stopped due to lack of exhaust pressure. I then started two English engines, a Laser 70 and a Mills 75 diesel. I got the crowd to sniff the ether in the diesel fuel and then got them chanting the football chant, "Come On England" as I started them!

We offered free training sessions on the buddy box with the club trainer. The chairman of the organising committee was dragooned into flying first, which led to a flood of little boys and a sixteen year-old girl wanting to have a go. The girl was the best of the lot! We had quite a few enquiries about joining the club and handed out lots of publicity material. A few pictures will be attached when I work out how to reduce their size! We had
another beer as we left, then one of the organising committee presented us with a cheque for 250 Euros!

Some pictures to follow.

Posted by Steve Colman on 01/08/2016 18:40:48:

An hour later, I'm ready to leave my friends behind and come home, as by now the temperature is in the high 20's and becoming a tad unbearable for a Brit such as myself. But, I come home very satisfied after enjoying some very relaxing stress free flying in a beautiful location with the knowledge that I can repeat it again tomorrow if I so desire.

Oh the simple pleasures of life.

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 01/08/2016 18:42:14

Nice one Steve, that's what it's all about.

Truth be told, I often find that some of my most relaxing flying happens when I'm alone.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 01/08/2016 20:34:59

Yes I have been flying today. although it is my wife that has to be applauded for getting me out. Having the grand kids with us has worn me out, in conjunction with the weather had me in a, I cannot be bothered mood.

Yet the story begins a week ago, on Saturday, in the afternoon I decided to go to the field. The phone lines on the Fylde were red hot, as arriving at the field there was just the one club member and he was not flying, together with a member of the shooting club for the area. Yes every one ran for home, once they knew i was comming it seems!

Trundling down to the field, half way down the track, I came across three pheasant chicks in the middle. Oh boy, are these birds stupid, because they do not run for cover, oh no, they race down the track in front of my car. When i stop, they stop, when i move off, they run along in-front.

At the field it is blowing at about 15-20 mph, unflyable I am tod by the last of the club members. I know better, and fly both my delta and PZ Stinson. A lonely session.

Come Sunday, i arrive,this tme the message has not gone out, there are other members. Again i am warned about the wind. Again I fly, my two sacaficial models, without mishap. Others also fly, again without incident. Although after the session my wife and I go to the Lytham kite festival. Now that is worth going to. Had a drink, walked home with a gale propelling us homeward. a great afternoon. I am saddened as I realise that I have missed the Maryport Blues festival, another great northern event.

Wednesday comes and it is blowing a hooley in my garden, so do not even think of flying.

Today I am shattered, dealing with 3 grand kids is hard work, the X box worked to death, three personal note pads close to melt down, and my bed time comes and goes as they are not tired.

Yet at the field, the wind no more than 10 mph, I finally test fly again my TH CS. This time it is spot on, a real pussy cat. Although, right at the moment of lift of, it still swings hard left. I need to be far more aware of this trait. this afernoon was a golden afternoon of sunshine, a warm zepher like breeze. Other club mates, all doing their thing.

Yet there was just one fly in the ointment, I came close to having the front of my car wiped off, at a 90 degree bend, where a car coming from the other direction, cut the corner, by a massive margin.Which had me pondering, that the biggest risk to my safety is not flying model aircraft, it is driving my car. As my farther said, that rail travel is very safe, per messenger mile, yet the uninformed about risk, will wax lyrical about a rail accident, totally oblivious to the real risks of living every day.

Apparently there is an airshow at Blackpool airport this week end, will i see any one else there?

Edited By Erfolg on 05/08/2016 20:32:56

Oh No!

Lady luck deserted me today.

My Riff Raff made its maiden flight today, my excellent test pilot steered around a circuit and a bit, when something was seen to fall of it, The pilot decided to make a landing post haste, a brilliant approach was made, a gentle touchdown was made where upon both UC units were torn from the model. As to what fell off, who knows, as nothing could be found.

Next up was the TH CS, a really nice take of was done by the model, i totalled around, I undertook a few loops, tried a few rolls. I decided that the loops were acceptable. That going from a "V" tail to a "T" tail had made the rolls barrelly. I then continued a few more circuits, lost orientation, stalled the model, crashing it.

Boo Ho!

Blackpool airshow tomorrow.

Yesterday was perfect for flying.

image.jpeg

I am feeling the need for smoke - something I have never used in a model. Also, I can highly recommend Dark Sky, it's an app (I have it on iPhone and iPad), that's brilliant for up to date weather forecast, and especially useful for windspeed.

Moving about the rivers and canals of Brittany for the next 4 or five weeks. This is today's flying site, 2 flights this morning as the mist cleared in still air. A bit of a squeeze, 2 people, two dogs, booze, milk and toilet rolls and a HK Skipper on board.

image.jpeg

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 10:08:50:

cymaz

I'll be heading down your way in a couple of weeks. We're staying not a million miles from Helston (Breage). We have some family there, and they've badgered us to spend some time with them!

Cornwall does have it's many attractions though, so it won't all be family and 4 screaming kids. I'm not looking forward to the 400+ mile drive though..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 10:09:46

You will be most welcome at St Austell club P.V. let us know more nearer the time

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 10:08:50:

cymaz

I'll be heading down your way in a couple of weeks. We're staying not a million miles from Helston (Breage). We have some family there, and they've badgered us to spend some time with them!

Cornwall does have it's many attractions though, so it won't all be family and 4 screaming kids. I'm not looking forward to the 400+ mile drive though..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 10:09:46

You will be most welcome at St Austell club P.V. let us know more nearer the time

I decided to take advantage of the relatively good weather up here today, as a weather front was scheduled to move in later today, bring heavy rain.

Although I was Billy no mates initially, another club member did arrive later. Yet another member new to me. \that is after redirecting three drivers looking for a nearby caravan site. All directed down this narrow bumpy farm track by Sat Nav,. I am not sure that i would not be a little suspicious of such a approach, with no obvious caravans or anything other than a small copse of trees.

On Sunday I had thought that lady luck had deserted me. On reflection I have been very lucky. I found that the Lipo had moved back on my Do 335 by a good 25mm, which moved the CG well back from its indicated position. It seems that my new Lipo restraint, is not as restraining as I had thought. With the Lipo repositioned, the Velcro strap tightened to give the battery a wasp waist, the model is no longer as sensitive in pitch, or touching the stick. Although little up or down is required to achieve a pronounced change in pitch.

I do not know if it is perception, or true, that very large movements of the elevator on models, have much less effect on pitch, than the first few degrees of movement.

I then flew the Delta, as is usual.

I finished of with my PZ Stinson Reliant. This I came close to piling in on take off, as it left the ground with virtually no airspeed having moved no more than about 1m. I was incredibly slow with rudder to stop the left swing, to the extent, that it was aileron input that primarily saved the day. It seems my attention to the take off and level of skill leaves a lot to be desired.

The fellow club flier flew around without incident, undertaking some mild aerobatics.

Although both of us found the landings interesting with wheeled models, as the gusts of wind caused turbulence on the approcah, over a hedge, then the reasonbly high ground wind, caused models to float a little, as the landing area drops away. The wind was an average of 14-15 mph, with prolonged gusts at approx 20 mph.

Anyway, no repairs today, therfore a good session. smiley

Edited By Erfolg on 10/08/2016 19:56:12

Edited By Erfolg on 10/08/2016 19:57:18

In best “Erfolg” tradition, I thought I’d recount my flying experiences at the field yesterday.

It started at 9am, meeting up with a one of our newer members, Andy, whom I’d offered to instruct using my trusty old trainer. I’d bought the model a few years ago to teach my son to fly but he’s more interested in cars so with a Super Tigre 51 and wild movements it makes a good winter hack; setting lower rates on the slave transmitter still allows it to be used for training. Andy had had a couple of lessons previously and spent many hours practicing on the simulator so was able to fly reasonably consistent circuits with me only having to take over a few times. A few minutes into the 2nd flight, however, the engine cut and I had to make a hasty deadstick landing. Back in the pits, we discovered that the throttle servo had wound over and refused to respond to commands. Luckily it went closed rather than full throttle but, either way, that was the end of the training session.

Next up was the Ripmax Me109. Last week’s attempt with this model ended with the prop assembly flying off the front as I throttled up for launch - the collet-type adaptor had come loose. While fixing that, I discovered that the engine mount had loosened from the ply sides, so a lucky escape and easily fixed. On this occasion, the model got away ok from a slightly dodgy underarm launch but seemed to be a bit lacking in power, with a buzzing noise at full throttle. After a short period the motor appeared to smooth out and produce more power but throttling back in a loop and then opening up again produced the same buzzing noise. I carried on regardless until the timer went and then landed. On the ground, I tested the motor at full power and noticed that the gap between the spinner and cowl increased slightly, at which point the prop assembly flew off, just as before, but this time with the motor shaft attached! Witness marks on the end of the shaft showed that it had pulled through the rear collet (no flat on the shaft).

Saving the best ‘til last, I then flew my GP Cosmic Wind “Little Toni”. Powered by an OS91 four-stroke, I built this model 6 years ago and it still looks, mostly, as new. It’s currently the largest model in my fleet and, truth be told, I find it a bit intimidating and only fly it on a few occasions a year. My club’s site is not the largest, and with high grass/weeds surrounding the runways, I’ve found it a bit tricky to land, not helped by the thin section and highly tapered wing and, probably, a conservative (ie high) idle setting. After a session a month ago where it suffered 2 deadstick landings, I’d replumbed the tank and successfully test-flown it last week. I’d spent some more time setting up the idle to slow things down on the approach and also carried out a stall test to remind me how it behaved. Surprisingly it was very benign and just mushed straight ahead. Armed with renewed confidence in the model, I had 3 enjoyable flights yesterday which all ended with slower, well-controlled landings and no over-runs into the long grass - result!

So, a few ups and downs during the day, but overall a very satisfying flying session.

little toni.jpg