Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

Advert

As the weather today was as good as it's been for quite some time, I took the opportunity to have an hour or two at the field.

Flew my Soar 40, currently powered by an ASP 46 - excellent performer and a steal at the price from HK - pity it's not still being sold.

Having got a feel for it, I then maidened my CAP 20.

cap 20 maiden photo.jpg

It's from the Peter Miller plan, increased in size by 12% to 56" wingspan, and powered by an Irvine 46 with a Just Engines Pitts exhaust.

Well, it's certainly lively! I was a little nervous, worried about having enough runway to gain sufficient speed for takeoff. In the event I opened the throttle and it took off in no more than 6 feet! Plenty of power then!!

I initally used a 3 blade 10x7 prop. I thought the engine was revving quite fast and creating a rather annoying noise - the exhaust didn't help being rather louder than the original. I tried a 2 blade 11x7 and then a 2 blade 12x6. The 12x6 certainly seemed to suit it better - might try a 13x6 next time.

Altogether though a satisfactory day. I shall consider the CAP build to be my tribute to Peter Miller as I didn't get involved in the mass build this year.

GDB

I was flying today but not for long. 90 seconds into my first flight of the day the port wing parted company with the rest of the fuselage, this was half way through a bunt.....messy....very messy

This is what happened to one of the batteries

giles crash1.jpg

giles crash2.jpg

This is the damage to the engine. The carb was ripped from crankcase, leaving a rather hole..

giles crash3.jpg

I don't know if it will buff out...what do you lot think?

remaidened my hk 89 inch sukhoi 26 today after a engine change and a two year lay up,fantastic flyer,stuck a dle copy engine from hk in it which was new in a box 2 or 3 years ago ,ive not touched a needle and now its had nearly a gallon through it it has not missed a beat,a windy day but you wouldnt think so the way it handled the wind.

then against my better judgement i bought another model,a 65 inch topflight mustang,tatty and could do with a recover but just wants a rx to fly,1526494_1380587505531394_1697913662_n.jpg though ive got a mintor22 petrol i might put in it as im not a glow fan these days,the list of planes to sort as ust got bigger.

Posted by AndyD on 17/07/2016 21:36:43:

remaidened my hk 89 inch sukhoi 26 today after a engine change and a two year lay up,fantastic flyer,stuck a dle copy engine from hk in it which was new in a box 2 or 3 years ago ,ive not touched a needle and now its had nearly a gallon through it it has not missed a beat,a windy day but you wouldnt think so the way it handled the wind.

then against my better judgement i bought another model,a 65 inch topflight mustang,tatty and could do with a recover but just wants a rx to fly,1526494_1380587505531394_1697913662_n.jpg though ive got a mintor22 petrol i might put in it as im not a glow fan these days,the list of planes to sort as ust got bigger.

Giz a go my favourite aerobat wink

Another superlative day at Winchester flying the Sputnik (mainly elec mod but I fitted a SC 52 FS although it does say a 20 ts is ok ) did take a little getting used to as I have been flying the old Bipe for so long.smiledscf6366.jpg

Best day of the year for flying , warm , sunny , and calm conditions

With a day off today and a chance to get out to the field for an hour or two around midday I could not miss the opportunity to enjoy myself seeing the models against a blue sky ( I love that ) and also practice some aerobatics where shortcomings could't be put down to the wind !

Posted by Colin Carpenter on 18/07/2016 18:45:01:

Out flying in this heat ? Are you all nuts ? 😁 Air conned car for me and I will be in Asda tomorrow all day standing by the fridges . Colin

Well I am an Englishman so am expected to do these things along with mad dogs!

Pit area was well shaded by a big tree and I wore a hat when venturing to the flight box

hot

Crikey Cymaz, I guess that ruined your day. The good news is the back end is fine and i hope the wing is usable? A new front end and all will be well with the world, once again.

Talking of good news, I have found another way to my club, which does not involve dealing with speed crazed motor cyclists and car drivers, re-enacting the TT or some other event. My new route has lots of speed cameras, well one in reality a set of traffic lights and a 50mph speed limit. Even though the road is totally rural, once was a a 4 lane road, the origina markings can be made out in places. Now a massive cycle lane either side, then a a cariage way before a very wide central area painted on the surface. Non the less this suits me better. With just abot 2-3 miles on a narrow twisty lane.

Back to flying, this week my education continued when I saw a large Extra type model, with an inbuilt electric starter. Now that is posh in my book. An arming plug to enable the whole system. If I were not a meany i would be so temped to have such a petrol model. No need to go near that propeller, the thing that frightens this pussy cat. There was only 3 of us flying on Saturday, all the rest at Cosford, very relevant to this club of large models.

Sunday was different, initially there were just the one of us, on my lonesome. It seems that I am one of those people who benefit from flying on different sites and i am a slow learner.

I have found that my habit of holding some up in on the elevator, is to be avoided on this field. As the model will leap into the air. Even on the tail draggers, open the throttle, a little right rudder and quickly release, ease in some up and the model is away, in a nice climb.

My second lesson is that my memory is not reliable enough to assume that I charged my Lipos. As my trainer type, had the power die just 3 minutes into my flight, whilst I attempting a knife edge, when no one was about to laugh at my pathetic attempt. My thoughts were, well that is another set of 4S 2200 * 2 on a "Y" lead that has died. Another great thing about this field, it is so open, i just turned around, went into a descending turn and landed. Not a single tree or forest to negotiate. So easy in comparison. It was only after undergoing a ohms check on the cells, going to sleep, that I woke up, I was thinking it is not the Lipos you idiot, you have not charged them.

More good news whilst building my data base of reading of Lipo and their cell readings, I realised i have another set for this model. I am finding the cell tester very good, in that I can be confident that a high reading for a cell tells me that a cell has gone down, or a set of generally high readings, the pack is like me, past its best.

As for the actual flying, at this site 15-20 mph wind speed is not much of an issue. Other than the landings tend to be rocky (when I make them). At my previous club, wow, 20 mph was a turbulent stomach churning experience some times.

Posted by Alan Thorpe on 19/07/2016 23:31:34:
Sorry quote function didn't work...
meant to quote Stephen Jones maiden!!

pose1.jpg

Hi Allan,

Very well,

Was a windy day not the sort of weather conditions i normally fly in let alone maiden a model in, but then again that would explain why no one else was their flying.

But as i Had designed the model to fly in windy conditions i had to bite the bullet so to speak, as their was no one to help hand launch it for me it performed very well and very stable .

I am well pleased with it so far, i have to correct some minor issue with the Cog and thrust line and when i have sorted that, i should have a very stable acrobat.

Cheers Steve