Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

I went to the field Today , Well this morning as i awoke the sunlight was beaming through my curtains looking outside not a cloud in sight so i quickly put my transmitter on charge along with a couple of flight batteries .

Got to the field for around 10:30 expecting the field to be full of like minded flyers only to find four members their .

was indeed a nice day took my son to have ago of the foam Sipa i had made from the RCM&E plan , flew it 1st just to make sure i was happy handing the controls over to him.

It may of just been me but it felt a little under power so i put it through its paces it needed a touch more down in , but it flew ok loops rolls ok slow flybys ok , then i tried to see how fast i could get it to go by putting it into a dive for a high speed low pass , just then the cockpit popped off forcing the model into a dive SPLAT . so my son never got a chance to fly it . So make sure the cockpit is on tight . I then flew my indoor Sipa several times which was sweet.

My son flew a small flying wing several times and his modified glider .Then i flew my SAS power Thing , nice and fast , then i flew the large trainer that i had made for Paul Loops rolls nice slow fly bys , then it was time for the Atom special or should i say the atom splat i glued it back together several times but each time ended up the same SPLAT.

All in all a very good day out only having to go home when my transmitter started beeping low battery at about 13:30 the result of not putting it on charge the night before .

Steve smiley

Great day at the field yesterday. No wind at all for most of the day, which made it difficult to land the slick racers a few of us had bought along! I maidened my Cermark Alley cat, which was good fun. Need to reduce the tick over a bit and program in some flaperon to slow it for landing a bit though.

Had a great day flying yesterday and also had the pleasure of assisting to rig and help with the pilots maiden of this beautie. 
sop 2.jpg 

sop 1.jpg

Edited By Justin K. on 09/08/2015 08:58:02

Edited By Justin K. on 09/08/2015 09:01:48

That moth is lovely, very nice indeed. Here are a few pics of the planes I flew tomorrow. The Alleycat racer is very fast indeed but I need to slow it up for landing. Dialing in flaperons for next time and checking the tick over is as low as possible. It has a YS fz63-s in it, which absolutely screams on 35% nitro but I don't think I have the low end quite dialed in. It didn't half make me smile at full throttle though!

The little fun-fighter foamie is great fun too. I reckon it hits 120mph in the dive, easily. 4s

20150808_140606.jpg

20150808_140636.jpg

i have just had my first time out for some time. Partly due to the lousy UK weather and secondly having been on my holidays.

On returning to our field, I must admit a sinking feeling, this was due to the challenging nature. This contrast with say France or even Germany, where there are miles of fields, many regions with very small villages. A complete contrast with this, the Northern Power House.

In my case i took 3 models, although boring, my Delta, my PZ Albatross and my trusty trainer, as I always take these. Mainly due to the cramped nature of my car, when carrying non human bulk. On my hols, I hired a VW, totally useless and second rate, compared to my long in the tooth car. I decided i will not be buying one of those (qu hate mail crying 2).

As the sun beat down, something I had not seen in the UK for a long time. How I envy those non deserving French, where the Sun beats down mercilessly, every day, so it seems, with not a breath of wind.

I launched my Delta, which performed like a well honed peice of machinery. Flew the timer out with complete satisfaction.

Then the PZ Albatross, more of an handful, although if flown at a more scale type speed, a nice performer. That is until, it starts to drop, like a stone in a bottomless well. With incredible skilll, a lot of luck I make the field and make a perfect landing, a landing. The Lipo needs changing, although I have bought two Lipos for it, Turnigys, they are to fat, I have now ordered two slim line Zippy. I then prepared my trainer, only to find that the rudder control horn had broken. Further examination indicated that it was embrittlement, so after 20 years, the photons had finally taken their toll. Which reminds me, must check the elevator horn, as that will be a similar age. The ailerons have new arms. So one good flight, an almost good flight and a no flight.

Which brings m back to our field. Today, we have one model in a tall tree briefly, until a cry of timber was heard, and one model safely retrieved. One model lost in the pampas grass surrounding our patch. A mid air with a model thought to be in the river. Oh, for one of those manicured French fields, the size of wales.

Any way i am back home undertaking maintenance tasks, ready hopefully for the next good day.

Edited By Erfolg on 12/08/2015 20:29:31

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 09/08/2015 20:03:51:

Steve, rotten luck with the foam Minijet, is it repairable?

Hi Colin ,

Yes it is repairable , i Guess so is The Atom .

I just have not got round to them Yet ,

Atom, well i think i will be better of making a new body rather than repairing it.

As for the Sipa i am a bit undecided whether to glue the bits back together or graft a new part back in , This is more Simon Domain , I may post some Pics of the Wreckage tomorrow ,

It is a real shame for the Foam Sipa as it was flying so nicely too , the nagging thing is, i was concerned about the cockpit staying in place with just one magnet .

Steve

Glorious day .... with a slight breeze that couldnt make its mind up where to blow from, take off due north by the time you are landing its from a totally different direction.... thank god for out club "airsock" (actually a bit of bar with a ribbon in it).... couple of Pioneer flights till the aileron servo decided to strip a gear, HK Slick deadstick (thats now both of the Zippy lipos I had/have died on me) used up all the 4S's I had on the Stick then went home

I have to say that HK Stick 1500 cheap as it is, is a throughly enjoyable plane to fly.....

Oh and took the Maggie down to show off/get a few decent photos of her

field 001.jpg

Stop press ! Yesterday was lovely in Gods Own County so managed a good couple of sessions..........

Local park at Dawn. Flew out all 8 batteries on my YAK UMX and all 6 on my Viking. The Viking is now much quieter than nthe Yak - ironic given how noisy it was when I got it. Started a tad chilly but as the sun came up, it got warmer and warmer. Beautiful. Even the Swallows seemed to be having fun as they seemed to cavort around near the Viking. Only downside is that the grass is too long for ROG or decent landings on the Viking.

Then off to the coffee shop, avoiding the butty show at the end of the road called, appropriately "The FLying Sandwich". No idea why it's called that as there is nithing to do with flying that I can see .......... quick coffee with beautiful wifey then off to work.

Already had a half day booked so home before 13:30 in time to finish recharging the Viking batteries. Then off for another session whilst son rides horses and does other various equine stuff ! Managed another 6 on the Viking (this is a hugely recommended aircraft by the way, and so so pretty), 4 on the C-Ray, 12 on the Explorer. ONly down side was that I couldn't take advantage of the rare outing for the EHawk. Assemble - check. Battery in - check. Controls OK - check. LIft up. Power on. Prop and spinner fly off. Never mind, just need to nip up those little grub screws. Can I find the right allen key ? You know the answer................ "No". Never mind, it had a nice sit in the sun for a few hours

Home by 19:40 with slightlky red face, neck, arms and legs. And loads of midgey bites ........ and still don't get to ROG or land properly as this site is on moorland.

All in all. Lovely day.

And maanged to get a couple in at different park this morning, one where the grass is mowed regularly. Spent 30 mins practicing take off and landings with the Viking. Sweet !

GG

Just as I have a couple of weeks off work, summer seems to have been (temporarily?) suspended down here in the SE of the country...

Monday was quite breezy so I popped over to Colley Hill with a couple of gliders. It started raining just as I arrived. Fortunately the rain was intermittent and I managed a couple of 20 minute flights between the showers.

Tuesday was flat calm. Amazing, I don't remember when I last flew in such calm conditions. A spot of power flying on the Downs was terminated by rain later in the afternoon.

Wednesday was just windy - and blowing straight across the strip. I knew nobody would turn up in those conditions, so I didn't go.

Today it's raining - varying between heavy rain and drizzle. "Thick cloud" is forecast for tomorrow, at least next week's forecast (so far) is looking a bit better!

My recent holiday has had impacts that I never would have anticipated. Having ended up with a VW Polo with a cigarette/charging socket that did not work. Leaving me without a power source for the Sat Nav. More tellingly the gear box was absolute pants, 1/2, being very close to 3/4 and 5 at the other side of the car, and do not get me started on you were as likely get reverse as 1 st, other than a warning bong. Talking to fellow camper dissuaded me from a the latest Jaguars, which look smart to my eyes, rather than the pastiche retro bus that proceded the present so smooth designs, being a company car, he would not spend his own money on one.

So I have purchased a BMW 320d GT Super Luxury, wow, love the title. At the realistic end, I have this morning folded down the rear seats and easily placed 4 models in their with my executive aluminium professional Tx box. Now that I have bags of room, a new for me issue has been thrown up. That is the sound of sliding models as they move about, balsa film, rubbing wings with Poly what ever. I now need a solution for this new issue for me!

The problem of new cars for me is all the bings, bongs, intermittent buzzing. That is just me getting out of the drive, warnings that I am passing the gate post, that I have exceeded 4 mph, that I need to immediately need to make a "U" turn. BMW must be advisors to Futaba, as everything now controlled from the same sort of whirly wheel, nudges and presses. I have now arrived at the club site.

What surprised me is that other modellers notice more than i do, as i just got out the car to be greeted with, I did not know that BMW did a fast back coupe. I patiently explained all the positive features as far as i am concerned missing out all the things I do not grasp and probably do not use.

So what about flying, well, I did manage to fly 4 models, without incident, well that is other than the HK Firenza that I stuffed in earlier in the week. I had complained about its lack of duration, finally bit the bullet and increased the Lipo capacity by *2. As so many USA threads had suggested this transformed the model, into totally useless, with a incompetent pilot, always being flown pretty much flat out. Now it would not loop well. Starting at some 50 feet up, I started the loop, and pulled out smoothly at minus 2 feet. This simple incident ripped out the UC, bending the unit like a knitting needle, which ripped the fuz into two parts and also snapping one wing panel at the mid wing, just where the CF tube finished. Now it is junk, awaiting the salvage department to remove useful bits.

Perhaps more interestingly what did others do. A big petrol model was most impressive, yet its presence and capability is matched and possibly surpassed by two electric models. One a big Extra, the other a Pitts Beast. Both being flown incredibly well. One manoeuvre, has started me on trying to mirror it, that is I believe is what appears to be a simple Cuban 8, not so simple and not so 8 when I try and do one. Both prop hanged, both then accelerated from the hover, at will. At the other end of the Spektrum, the issue of the crashing models has been found, apparently the RF board had failed and was replaced under guarantee. So that club mate is now much happier and no doubt any self doubts remeoved.Auto gyros flown, a fleet of Vulcans flown. Perhaps the most frightening model was a Turnigy Fx Pylon racer, that seems to be going at a warp speed. In my capable hands, it would enter a black hole possibly a few seconds after launch.

The club continues to attract potential new members. Rather annoyingly our one junior member, who passed the enhanced "A" test of his third outing, is now flying scale models, inverted across the patch, and doing inverted circuits.

After a few hours, I casually returned to the new (that is to me) car, and watched gloatingly as the tailgate raised itself, I have now temporarily joined the posers club. Threw my models in casually, let them rattle about, as they settled on the flooring, no more careful arranging to get less models in. As the advertising says "Uberstreichen die gleise is verboten", I settled back and let the car find its way home being a Automatic, well it is isnt it?.

Erf, throw a travel blanket over the lot & tuck them in!

Todays entries should read "who's not been flying today"

Spent 10 minutes chasing a Pup and an Eindecker around the skies with my Magnatilla! When one of the Eindeckers elevators came off we fought the Pup with a Neiport instead!

Also ran were the Dawn Flyer and Atom Special, a kind of RCM&E demo flight after congratulations for the Mass build and photos in the Mag from other members of the club.

After nearly everyone had gone home Old Phil objected to fighting his Pup in round 2 with my FW190 so I let him fly solo!

Busy day, batteries need charging again and the fuel is getting lower and lower!

What a great day for a bipe. Had 5 flights with the Rothmans Stampe. Loads of stall turns, inverted flight, Immelmanns, split s.....all safely taken home at the end of the day....oh joy!

Many thanks for Truro Club hospitality again.

Well at least the weather here this weekend was a slight improvement on last week's. Saturday saw a small number of us turn up under grey skies and with a 10mph wind blowing, for once, straight down the strip. I had a decent number of flights with my old Pushycat and a new (to me) PA Katana.

Today started well, but weather-wise it was an afternoon of two halves. To start with, flat calm, reasonably warm, but with rather grey skies. And a decent turn out from the membership. Later in the afternoon the wind picked-up suddenly, though like yesterday more or less straight down the strip, albeit from the opposite direction. But with the wind it turned a lot cooler. Silly me, thinking that tee-shirt and shorts was suitable attire for a summer's day in mid-August! I retired to the car park and drove home as the drizzle started...

Only half as many batteries to charge tonight as yesterday. And today was supposed to be the better day of the weekend if you believe the weather forecasts.

Forecasts for next week seem to be getting worse. Last week, next week was looking good. Now, next week is looking so-so. Ho-hum. No doubt the weather will suddenly improve when my 2 weeks leave is up and I return to the office to look out of the window at sunshine and calm air...

Edited By John Privett on 16/08/2015 22:11:09

Well what a nice day`s flying today ,

I flew My Fantrainer which i dragged out of the far corner of my loft which had been forgotten about ,.

fantrainer2.jpg

it was nice to give it a airing once again ,

my son trainer also given an Airing , he enjoyed flying it Via Wireless buddy link .

pauls.jpg

Also Flew my SaS Thing ,Mini Sipa 200 , Mini Delta and a foam glider ,

Paul was very happy he managed to fly around inverted do bunts rolls and loops with the mini delta ,

All models take where flown and all returned home safe and sound .

Steve smiley

Erfolg Hi

Congrats on your new car, I'm sure it's a beauty.. I however, would disable all voice commands. I would get the dealer to do it if not I would cut wires if necessary. I detest the warning sound alertling me of seatbelts.. a machine does not tell me what to do and when to do it! This started off in the US where car drivers need to be instructed on the basics for everything. If a car cannot have the seat belt warning de-activated then I simply would not buy that car no matter how nice it was.

As for non-slip material.. try the perforated rubberised sheeting used for lining kitchen cupboards.. that would stop slippery models from moving about.

Ash

I have been out flying over this weekend, i also hope that many more have been.

I must again brag about my new car, for the first time from selling my Porsche, i can again take a wide selection of models with a degree of ease. I will also state that i do like my car talking to me, One day I will invest in a Tarnis so that my Tx can talk to me. I find this mode of communication very natural, and I do envy Spektrum owners.

Being a F1 fan, it was late when I got to the field on Saturday. This was rather a waste of a good flying day. Although i only took two models, my ever present Delta and my new fw 190D which is based on a Balsacraft kit or design.finished1.jpg

My competent test pilot was roped in to fly it, after he discovered that the rudder was wrongly set, it was up and away. I know it was correct when I set it up. Now I need to sort out what I am doing which looses the settings during the set up processes.

The good news it flies very well , although there are trim issues which I need to fix. The bad news is that it is tricky to launch. I am now thinking of a trolley to assist the take off.

Today was another day, again a car load of models. Still playing with all the cars Gizmos,in particular the Sat Nav.

At the field the car park has a suspicious large van and a badly parked car in the car park. I eventually find out there was a rave by he river the previous night, As generators and mountains of speakers are dragged to the van. It must have been a good party, as by the river they had hundreds of balloons, now littering the ground, I thought only kids liked balloons!

As for flying, all appeared quite calm . The trees swaying back and forth suggested that higher up things could be different. So flying the Delta did suggest that there could be some issues, a loops were blown down wind, rather the beginning and the end being co-incident. Although I landed without incident. The next model landed at the far side of the field, the flyer complaining of the wind. The third model was forced down into a massive bramble , something or other. Retrieval was quite an issue involving a metal brush cutter. My second flight with my PZ Reliant, was teetering on the brink. The landing was influenced by a massive downdraft, although I did land where i intended, about 15-20 feet in front of me. Then a model went in on take off, a little later a model lost its canopy battling through the tree curl over. My final flight was with Nitro Models Dornier 355, which, I can only say, tumbled through the air. I decided to abort the full flight and land . This I managed with no difficulty, once on the right side of the trees, a non event.

At this point I was mentally focussed on Spa, I had to go.

The whole event did convince me that in most wind directions, the curl over from the surrounding trees can be an issue. Where I went wrong with the 355 was flying low over the trees. Either side or high up, I would have experienced little in the way of issues. In the case of landing, come in hot, and then mess up the efficient flying and landing is no issue.

A finishing note, a neighbours son, 3 doors away, is a test driver for Jaguars. I have lusted over a number of cars in the drive when he visits. On Saturday he assured me that the present ( the pretty one) saloon, is much better in all respects than earlier ugly models, in both looks, drive ability and quality of build and inspection. Now I think i have I bought wisely?