Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

14th of July in France is a public holiday and the day on which my club holds it's Interclub day at our strip, Forecast of 36C clear skies and light winds meant a long day ahead. Up at 5.45am (4.45 UK time ) and off to the strip to set up all the necessary ready for the visitors at 9.3am - Pete B, my guest, finally finding our hidden gem! A hot flying day in the sun with the wind stronger than forecast and 90 degrees to the 'piste' had to be interspersed with a 2 hour sit-down lunch and copious cold drinks during the day. This was followed by flying until finally sitting down at about 8.30pm to start our 6 course dinner watching the sun set. Got home just after midnight very tired. Some pics:-

dsc_0457.jpg

dsc_0460.jpg

dsc_0465.jpg

dsc_0466.jpg

Here's Pete with his Champion glider - did well did our Pete with his thermal sniffing!

dsc_0474.jpg

dsc_0475.jpg

dsc_0478.jpg

dsc_0494.jpg

dsc_0507.jpg

Here's Pete's lovely Gypsy Moth - just right..

dsc_0509.jpg

dsc_0511.jpg

Let me know if you want to come next year wink

Looks fantastic.. Definately having fun there lads...

Dodging the iffy summer here but doing my bit to shift the glow fuel, two more gallons arrived today and slope soaring this afternoon if the wind does not drop!

Make the most of it!hot

An excellent day, thanks, Terry - and a great bunch of folk at your club!thumbs up

Pretty challenging in those windy conditions but the Gipsy coped with it very well indeed, as did your big Wottie. The Radjet was seen off by the Funjet but I'm not surprised - I think he'd massaged his setup a tad! I had one of those rare events with my leccy CG Cub - a deadstick landing. I heard a bit of a pop whilst downwind but had enough height to get back without drama. A whiff of hot electrics when we removed the pack so, once the car is unloaded, it'll be down for inspection. I'll see if I can cobble together a bit of video of the day...

Pete

Ps - I see you caught my better side!.....teeth 2

Went to the field today more in hope than expectation as it was blowing quite well....

Chairman managed to forget his TX...

Secretary managed to bring two fuselages but only one wing...

Sat around for a while watching a A380 doing a go round again after an aborted approach to Manchester (no idea what happened but nothing on the news so nowt dramatic I guess!)

Finally plucked up the courage to brave the howling gales - and with buttocks firmly clenched took off, few circuits with a downwind leg alarmingly fast! and an almost helicopter landing and I decided taking home a model was preferable to taking home a bag of bits and facing the scorn of SHMBO.......

A pleasant afternoon nontheless......

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 15/07/2015 18:01:50

Posted by cymaz on 15/07/2015 17:48:47:

Is it me , or is it the windiest it's been for years?

I did some interweb digging about and some weather sites are showing that the mean wind speed has increased! Global warming??

Thought about eating less roughage????

Nice Video Pete - you can appreciate the gusty conditions! I spent this afternoon ironong out the wrinkles in the Grob Tutor's upper wing surfaces - thankfully they did come out- phew!

Cymaz - I agree it does seem to be windier generally and I too will cut down on the roughage! disgust!

Bad day crying

Lost my Wot 4 ...coming out the top of a half loop, half roll to fly upright, elevator servo decides its time to die!

Well, that was never to end well sad

Taking off my Giles...somehow I reversed the ailerons...nooooooooooo

At least the firewall and engine box are repairable.indecision

Evening all... hangar duties for me after finger / glow prop trouble during the week.. ouch.

I have use this site for the weather, **LINK** wind is especially good.. plumb in your location and then away you go.. you can tweak the settings and come up with a very nice local forecast.. not been wrong as far as I can remember..

Hope it helps and have fun..,

Edited By Area 51 on 18/07/2015 21:22:04

Edited By Area 51 on 18/07/2015 21:47:39

Well it looks like "Le quatorze juillet" was celebrated in style by Terry, Pete and others. Looks like a good day with a nice variety of models.

That Swiss Lama helicopter reminds me of a summer holiday I had in Switzerland something like 30 years ago. On several occasions we encountered similar (full-size) helis in rather unexpected locations picking up and dropping off stuff they were transporting to mountain locations. Indeed, the full-size HB-XII was first registered in 1979 so it's entirely possible (if unlikely!) that the model is based on one of the helis I saw on that holiday.

Back in the UK a slightly 'mixed' day today. It seemed a bit breezy this morning (we can only fly after 12 noon anyway) but the wind dropped a bit in the afternoon so I went flying. Not many there, most who were were saying how surprisingly calm the wind was - we'd all expected it to be breezier. What wind there was, was at about 45 degrees to the strip and it was sunny and warm for a change!

Then about 5pm the wind picked up, the clouds rolled in and it started to feel chilly. We packed up before the rain arrived.

Had a great day today. Top weather, good crowd at the field and the flying went well. Took five planes, flew them all twice or thrice and they all came home in one piece! Good eclectic selection too, Hobbyking funfighter, Hobbyking EFX racer, BiggerBit, Cambrian P51 Funfighter (irvine .39 mkI) and a Crescent Bullet. Loads of fun.

Got a bit of minor sunburn though! Doh!

kerloch 19 july-1-2.jpgkerloch 19 july-10-2.jpgkerloch 19 july-1-4.jpgWas looking like a washout this weekend, but the rain stopped at lunchtime yesterday and the wind disappeared and, though it was overcast, it turned into an excellent afternoon's flying. Lovely to get out and get some air under the wings.

Only a small turnout but my boy Tim got some decent pictures of the proceedings - very impressed with Derek's Cartoon Cutlass, built from the RCM&E free plan. His Ripmax Mustang flies brilliantly as well, and joined JIm's Ki-61 Tony and Terry's Edge 540 for some spirited beat-ups of the field. For me it was an afternoon for funfighter fun, with my Bearcat and perfect conditions for the E-Flite PT-19.

kerloch 19 july-1-3.jpg

kerloch 19 july-1-5.jpgkerloch 19 july-1-9.jpgkerloch 19 july-1-8.jpg

Just to add another couple of piccies kindly supplied by clubmate Derek, the Aerowatt is what I describe as my most honest flying model - she goes absolutely where you point her and is IMO the perfect flying machine, designed and built by my pal and eflight mentor Peter Wilson. That's not me fllying her, as she exits the knife edge, captured by Derek's ninja-esque camera skills.

aerowatt exits knife.jpg

401 aerowatt camera pass e.jpg

431 aerowatt landing approach e.jpg

Just got back from flying my Bixler 2 in what was (for me anyway) very windy conditions - according to BBC weather approx 17mph.

As a very novice flyer it was very much on the edge of my capabilities, and on one occasion beyond crook. Having said that I had two good flights and came home with a fully intact plane smiley. Well... you have to push yourself to get better don't you? The Bixler handled the wind brilliantly and I won't be put off any longer by 10+mph winds - more opportunities to get on the sticks i suppose yes

Managed to finally maiden my new to me trex 450seV2. Been waiting over a week as it's been so windy. I was at Blyths field for 9am and the wind was between 8-10mph which is a little on the strong side for a little heli but I wanted to do some final setting up so went for it. Put 4 lipos through it all about 6 minute flights. Managed to get all the adjustments done and flew some small figure of 8 circuits on the last lipo but it was too windy to really enjoy it. Hopefully get some nice windless evening flights in before the end of summer:

Baz