Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

A trip into Manchester could have profound ramifications to my continued flying where I fly. My wife deciding that the city is so alien, that she is determined to move before the suburbs have a similar fate. My view is this what you saw as an enriched society, her reply cannot be written here..

So Sunday coming bright and calm, I escaped to the field. Where the ramifications of the previous weeks rave ripple on, in that there was some concern if another was held. Personally i do not see them coming back, not for some time, on the basis they will not want to much attention,

The first thing of note at the field, was a brand new model based on the NH Cutlass. The wing constructional design, very different design, although much else the same. The initial flight was very hairy, on landing the CG was moved forward, thereafter it was incredible, that is outstanding. Not having seen any other version, i do not know if it is the wing design or just the general model. Whatever the cause, I may build one my self.

As is usual, yet another model went in across the river, demolishing the nose. I am sure it will be repaired in time. Then another landed in the rough, it took an age to find. The grasses and weeds have grown to heights and density, never before seen, in my opinion.

My own flying does not warrant much in the way of comment. That is other than my Albatross will not loop well now. A very close inspection has revealed that a glued joint on the tailplane has failed. So a bit of maintenance with UHU POR is necessary. If this will do the trick is another matter.

Tomorrow I will now be house hunting, I cannot but think, that apparently trivial, every day events can have profound impact on yor life, or not matter at all. It seems I will probably need anew club, and will I be able to get out as frequently as I do now. For me it is a worry.

Saturday was, in my opinion, the best days flying all summer. Light wind, straight down the strip. No turbulence to speak of. Took out the DB Bistormer and my own design G-Wizz.

Arrived at 10:00 and left at 18:45. Very tired but super satisfied. Today, normal service resumed...early rain, high blustery winds.

BiStormer

G Wizz

g wizz

Thanks Area 51.... Saturday was indeed very pleasant.

The following shots were taken on the Saturday with this gorgeous Komet just not quite able to leave behind the short but very soft and draggy grass. It's a proven terrific flier and bravely piloted by it's owner..

p1060478.jpg

p1060493.jpg

Regards

John

Many have noted that summer has eluded the UK in 2015, according to the metrologist, it is now Autumn.

Non the less yesterday, I went with one of granddaughters to fly her Multiplex Fox glider on the beach at Lytham St. Annes, whilst house hunting. Unbelievably the tide was pretty much in, at St Annes that means there was little beach, at Lytham the mud and grass is covered. So about an hour was spent both on the Lytham Green and the Lowther garden. Rather surprisingly my granddaughter knows that model aircraft are COOL.

To day I was of to my local field, with four models. One that I was particularly eager to fly. That is my PZ Albatross, why? Well, I have undertaken some maintenance, I noticed that the tailplane glue line had failed to the body. I fixed this with UHU Por. The question in my mind would the squirming out of the loop be cured?

No sooner had I arrived, the two other members already present were discussing a rather black cloud that was approaching. Would it rain, or pass, should they stay under a umbrella, or retreat to their cars? As the rain started it was decided that the best part of valour required a retreat to our cars. The rain hammered down, to the extent, that the one member under a umbrella, predicted that this was a good half hour downpour. We unanimously decided to go home. I drove home through massive puddles that lined the roads on both side, right to my front door.

Half an hour later, the rain had gone, the sun shone. A decision was made to go back to the field. One other club member had also made the decision.

As is usual I flew the Delta, landing as the clouds gathered. I decided to risk the Albatross, I had to know had I improved the model? The answer was quickly discovered, the elevator trim was now all wrong. The model positively leapt of the ground, like a scalded cat. Leaning on the stick, to ensure a more modest and reasonable climb rate, I feed in all the down trim available, every last beep of it. Conveniently, on half throttle this did provide almost level flight. The next question was had I cured the loop issue. The answer was quickly discovered as no! No amount of attempts changed the situation, it squirmed out significantly on every attempt, requiring aileron to get back on line. By now the first drops of rain were peppering my hands and the Tx. I quickly landed, gathered my stuff, hobbled to the car like a sprinting tortoise. This was just as another optimistic member arrived. We both waved bye bye, and left him to it, as the rain commenced to hammer down again.

The session has left we with the knowledge that my flying will almost certainly be curtailed in future, as I now live 1.5,and 2 miles from my club fields, which allow me to pop out at a moments notice and have a short 30 minute or an hours session. I winter I fly a parkflyer on the golf course behind my house. Moving will change this for ever.

An other aspect that surprised me is that I am poles apart from some peoples idea of what is acceptable and safe, compared with my own. At a meeting of the BMFA, on the same night of my flying at Lytham, the very idea of doing what I had done was condemned as reckless, had they seen me and granddaughter? I have also flown my Albatross of the beach, at about 200 or more yards out from the promenade. The very idea of flying toys and RC foamies, does not have universal approval, when on greens and the beach. Which made me conclude that there is no future for aero modelling if children with their parents cannot fly toys in empty common spaces. Oh well?

Well, Summer has actually finally arrived here in he Northern Powerhouse. I am even in a good mood.

So good I am singing the praises of both the Bickershaw Model Flying Club and the BMFA. Some one quick, please pass me the smelling salts.

Today I went to a place called Bickershaw, even for a northern lad, it is a place I have never been, almost mythical. A place associated with coal mines, slag heaps and cotton mills. Now having gone there, non are to be found.

I went to the Bickershaw fly in, where all are welcome. An event supported by the BMFA local area, by entering into some support for toilets and perhaps a few other things I know nothing off. Will this event be reported in our Mag?

What about the flying field? Well it is of such a size that all of my club were envious, not only that it is flat, that is smooth and closely mowed. Surrounded by countryside on three sides with some housing in the distance apparently 0.-1 mile distant.

How about the models? I was in awe, good quality scale jobbies, big 3d types, numerous jets, a few large impressive foamies.

Flying is what bothers many people, there was a lot. Did I fly? Well no, I had four models with me. The reason, the standard of flying had me in awe, messemerised, to the extent I never got round to flying myself. Even though I was clutching my "A" cert, the minimum requirement. Our clubs youngest and most recent holder of the cert was not phased, he flew a few times with his foamies as many others did. I helped in getting a big (to my eyes) Lancaster ready and watched as it gracefully cruised the sky.

Perhaps what we need in the regions are more fly ins, as they will be more relevant to the average and pretty experienced fliers than the NFC will ever be. The club and the BMFA have to be praised in an excellent event. To me set in a mysterious inter land between the A580, M6 and M61 it is worth exploring and I will certainly go again if invited.

Now if only I could take a decent photo.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgBetween getting back from the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix in the Isle of Man last night and leaving at 06-00 tomorrow for 4 days in Ireland, I managed to get in a few hours at the SCRCAC combined scale day and electric fly-in at Fradley. Took quite a few photos which hopefully can be down-loaded onto the club web-site later this week. I couldn't resist sticking in here a snap someone took of me at the Gooseneck on the TT course on my new Honda VFR800X (!) not going fast, enjoying the scenery, but also a small number from today. I took the XB42 and managed to squeeze in a really good flight, I'm getting fond of this plane, it is a great flyer and really feels like something different. Sunlight was very bright and breeze stiff at around 10 knots, but all in all, a good flying day.image.jpg

a glorious day down here in the south - so much so that I went & had a fly at all three of my clubs!

I also summoned up some courage & maidened my Parkzone Extra 300 (I usually wuss out & get someone else to do the honours with a new plane.) however, after a few initial nerves getting it trimmed out, it proved to be an absolute hoot to fly & has become my new favourite plane

Went to the patch today weather was marginal for my only airworthy plane being an Balsacraft Extreme, the blustery conditions were not pleasant coupled in with the turbulance from the trees so I had one flight landed safely and called it a day. I had two other planes which I intended to maiden but decided not to day.

Better luck next time.

Looks like summer's gone - maybe it's time for an autumn flying thread?

Anyhow, having been washed out yesterday, the reconvened ADS Slope Day did get at least a few paticipants, albeit with quite scratchy lift in parts of the day as the forecast 17mph S wind turned into a 10mph SW wind. Got a few fights in though, and was mightily impressed with some nice models - Derek's Dash 7, a lovely big scale ?ASK-13? which gobbled up the light lift and soared to the heavens and a neat little electric soarer with a cute fold-away prop on a pylon.

cairn slope day-19.jpg

cairn slope day-3.jpgcairn slope day-21.jpgcairn slope day-27.jpgcairn slope day-28.jpg

Although I have been down to club No.2, perhaps Yesterday was a little more interesting.

Most Fridays I fly with my club mates, where I have been a member for some 20 years, the last stint being 5 years, or thereabouts. A flat field gliding outfit.

My drive there takes me down what were quiet country lanes in my youth, now increasingly more akin to a cross between a racetrack and motorway. As I tootalled along at a steady 40mph, impervious to those who were determined to do +70 mph, I could not but notice that the signs of Autumn are here. The fields that once were redolent with swaying stands of wheat, rape or grass being grown for silage, have all now gone. The fields laying bare, nude, the brown earth showing through in patches.

At our present field, I parked on the grass verge, opened the boot took out a model, collected my Tx case and walked to our field. Yes, this is the back end, the grass had been cut, now the farmer using a tractor and two giant rotating, great wheels of something similar to a circular Dutch Hoe, was sweeping the grass into neat rows of grass, to be scoped up later. Speaking with the farmer confirmed that there was no issue with me being there.

!00m into the field, I opened my camping chair, and sat down taking in the hot sun, as the puffy clouds slowly traversed the sky.

It has stuck me there are fundamental differences between the sport power scene and glider guiding. Flying gliders is all about you and the surroundings, observation, and understanding what you are observing. Ther is no switching on, hitting full throttle and climbing into the sky, into a thermal, then cruise to the next. Without being one with your environment, ther will only be the occasional lucky thermal.

I decided to sit down and hopefully await other club members arrival. Whilst I enjoyed the warm sun and mild air, I watched the tractor with all its equipment trundling along on the far side of the field. I contemplated that this field is almost exactly 1/2 the size of the proposed LLF. To me its a big field, to our FF members, the field is much to small. I thought FF must need a really big field for competition, as as a kid, my mates and me made do with much less. I briefly thought that this idle was not as nature intended, but man managing the environment. Then my mnd drifted to how i had read that very day, the ice caps were far more extensive than for some time, rather than as shown on TV, and that this was the result of El Neno, thus verifying..................... I breifly thought of Deep Thought, Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, my own dealings with our companies R&D and how everything had become a means to keeping them employed.

At this point two other club members had arrived. I flew my Delta, as I do every week. For a change I had brought my Pushy Cat, which i flew, deciding to land between the lines of hay/grass, I slid into one of the long threads that went across the field. Only to see my model apparently disintegrated. Shocked I examined the remains, and was much relieved to find that my Nylon wing bolt had sheared and the balsa locator broken. Should not take much to fix was my thought.

Relaxing in my chair i watched the clouds drift by, contemplating the cumulous that was growing. After some tome the depth and height had turned the white towers into black to purple moving mass. This seems a good time to bring out the 2m Sagaitta. The plain was selected on the Tx, the model armed. It is perhaps worth mentioning that not only was I conscious of the warm air, but the cold inrushes of air,f from time to time. I launched in a lull, one of the other members commented as to is that an out runner you are using, as the model clawed its way vertically into a speck in the sky. After a minute I replied, no. Its an inrunner of low Kv. Another member commented, that the nose was far to pointed and narrow for an inrunner. I moved the model to a point which appeared to be under a distant black thunder cloud. I was pleased to see it sucked up, then very concerned, as it was probably a mile away, now a speck in the cloud. One of my problems was that it was built to a set of rules where no airbrakes were allowed. The model made its way back towards us, when i felt the cold wind of thermal infill. Thank God I thought, as the model steadily lost height. I was joined by other models, and I kept on flying in a similar way, frequently feeling the cold infill as thermals rose to the very heavens. After some 20 minutes, my Tx alarmed, I had flown my designated slot time. My arms not only ached, but some muscles were semi crammed. Landing was without note. I then thought, how electric power had transformed a class of model from quite poor, when compared to a 100s Sagitta or a open class glider, into something that could stay up for half an hour at a time with little effort or real skill.

Sitting once more i my cahir, talking with my club mates, my mind drifted once again. I concluded that my spot=rt flying is akin to a video game. Whereas thermaling is almost semi religious, the contemplation of your immediate environment, the reading and consideration of what is happening, from the Buzzards starting a thermal flight, where anty swallows are, what they are doing, what path is that Gull taking. Although both RC, but spiritually and intellectually so very different in their nature.

Hi All,

Went to the patch today and what a surprise just one other flyer all day, must be something to do the the rugby.

Made the most of it in the not so perfect conditions. Managed to maiden two aircraft plus fly my usual hack.

dsc05240 (800x533).jpg

Took the photos just before packing up just me left at this point

dsc05241 (800x533).jpg

Maidened my Jet Provost made from the Galaxy Models kit and powered by an Irvine 0.46, came in too fast and ripped the wings off, repairable.

dsc05242 (800x533).jpg

My second maiden, my Flair Astro Hog with RCV 58 up front, flew well just needed to add a lot of down trim on first flight.

I had a little trouble when my power panel started smoking and the glow plug part was red hot. Have get a new one.

Still had a great day with lots of flights and some company as well.

Regards

Robert

Had a good day yesterday, notwithstanding another failed maiden flight with my Mosquito. The conditions changed throughout the day, with little wind early on and growing intensity through the day, but with time enough for plenty of sports and sports scale flying, as well as a bit of thermal hunting, spectating and generally having an very enjoyable blether with a bunch of nice folks. It's a lot of what makes this hobby so alluring and fulfilling.

Highlights of the day for me were clubmate Jim Jamieson;s lovely Chipmunk, which was thrown around with aplomb and Sandy's Fun Cub - nicely finished in blue sunburst scheme which was pulling off some very impressive harrier style landings.

Unfortunately there were ups and downs as well - Kenny had a successful maiden of his large P-47 Thunderbolt, but a later flight resulted in a heavy crash and substantial damage when the balance weights departed from the cowl and caused the model to go in vertically. Whilst she was flying though, the Jug had real presence and a nice sit in the air.

kerloch 2015 sept fly in-13.jpg

kerloch 2015 sept fly in-17.jpgkerloch 2015 sept fly in-22.jpgkerloch 2015 sept fly in-25.jpgkerloch 2015 sept fly in-5.jpgkerloch 2015 sept fly in-65.jpgkerloch 2015 sept fly in-8.jpgkerloch 2015 sept fly in-53.jpgkerloch 2015 sept fly in-52.jpgkerloch 2015 sept fly in-50.jpg

Been out again, over the past two days.

With my new car I am able to take more models, so have flown my Delta, Pushy Cat, HZ Albatross, HK Arcus and still had room for my trainer, and canard which I did not have time to fly.

I even had time to fight my way through the local jungle, in search of a fellow modellers model.

Happy Days