Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

I really like the piece Nick, as aero modelling is more than showing of our models, for me at least. It is about the life experience, of meeting people, exchanging our experiences, or tribulations and again for me, the few memorable experiences.

I fear that it can be the frustrations and overcoming them (eventually) that i enjoy the most. Just flying around can be boring sometimes, or even the perfect aerobatics, then again sometimes it can be just flying around and improving manoeuvres and aerobatics.

Taking advantage of zero wind speed My 20 year old Skyways Hawk 70 laser powered was maidened today. The twenty years refer to the age of the kit LoL. Trimmed by the club expert, the model was flown without a hitch. The Laser 61 was faultless. Brown papered covered and painted with emulsion then a splash of varnish to fuel proof model. Thanks to forum members for the know how on BP covering. Cheers

Out today, and what a disaster. First was the test flight of my CS by TH, which resulted in half a circuit, before i piled it in, again running out of elevator and suffering a severe pitch down, combined with an aileron issue. An observer said he noted that a large section of wing covering had peeled back in flight. Which was confirmed in examining the bits. The diluted PVA was no substitute for Balsaloc it seems.

Next up was my Dornier 335, everything was going well, that is until it shed a entire wing panel when running plat out. I will have hundreds of flights with this model, ata £20 investment with BRC hobbies at the Harrogate fair, not bad value.

At this juncture, I played safe and just flew my Delta, very sedately.

The other models staying in the car. As it was a tad windy here and two crashes is enough per session.

Well I had a great day yesterday - didn't look too good in the morning but the murk cleared after lunch just after I got to the field. When I eventually unpacked my car after helping some members with 4 new models I embarked on the main business of the day...

A year ago (or was it 2?), I made an impulse buy at our club bring and buy sale and bought the longest box I've ever seen - containing an untouched generic Chinese 4m Discus - for the princely sum of £50, which seemed pretty good for a fibreglass fuselage and what appear to be glassed wings covered in Oracover or similar.

There were no instructions so I got on the internet and found a lot of negative comments - too heavy, won't thermal, poor design, heavy rear end, limited instructions etc. and it stayed in the loft until a few weeks ago when my thoughts turned to giving it a go. I consulted the club electric guru who came up with a tentative specification for a cheap electric conversion as we're primarily a power club (no-one has a tug set up).

I duly ordered up some electric bits from Hobbyking, sawed off the nose and started the build - modifying most of the (extremely poorly detailed) radio installation and iffy linkages along the way. After casting a massive lump of lead (just over a couple of pounds) I mounted it as far forward as possible, downed a couple of tins of spinach and hoisted the model into the air under my digital luggage scales - only to find it was exerting 4.6 kg of force trying to return to the garden lawn as opposed to the 3.8 kg advised on the box - and the figure relayed to my electifying consultant...

A second measurement of the C of G point allowed me to skim 100g off the lead but it was still way above the weight used in the calculation which was given to me advising it "might" fly it OK so I wasn't filled with confidence once the wings were on at the field. I enlisted the guru to give it a throw, wondering if it could possibly achieve flying speed before the prop blades met the ground, and with the negative comments on the net ringing in my ears selected the longest run on the field in order to abort straight ahead if it couldn't break free of ground effect (the wind "conveniently" dropped as I was getting ready!) and thinking "what the hell, it stands me at less than £100", gave Dick the nod. With a reasonable but not Olympian heave and Hobbyking's finest cheap 12 x 6 carbon folder thrashing the air manfully, it departed in an easterly direction in a stately manner. I held it level and eased into a climb until I had reasonable height to manoeuvre, then pulled it into a more definite climb where it made smart progress to a decent height to try the glide.

Once happy that it wasn't teetering on the edge of stalling and responded well to controls, I explored thermal turns - the internet doom-mongers had warned that it would tip stall at the merest hint of a circle - and found it perfectly well mannered. What's more, it didn't seem to be coming down and exhibited a very flat glide.

The much maligned all-flying tail was tested at higher speed with no ill effects.

The motor pulled an average of around 580W in the climbs so I was very pleased with the performance at an anecdotally inadequate 58W/lb. Approach control was excellent using massive upward deflection of the ailerons as spoilerons (no brakes, flaps or spoilers with my version) with reasonable roll control remaining.

Interestingly, I had installed the motor with a fair amount of side and down thrust and after following a recent thread, I had doubts over the fairly significant amount that I'd set by the "wet finger" method. After trimming for the glide, I found that the nose pulled up into a very comfortable climb attitude - and that was with a thrust line only very slightly lower than the wing.

To say I was chuffed was an understatement! There's even some headroom (the motor is supposed to be capable of handling 815W and the peak at launch was 711W) if I feel any need for more power, by fitting a larger propeller. Flying a big glider was a revelation - so smooth - and the energy retention was so much more like the real thing than the occasional smaller glider that I've flown.

I suppose I'll have to start adding some detail now I know it flies - and I definitely need to find a suitable pilot to sit under all that canopy...

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/08/2016 20:15:28

Chucked most of these of a slope yesterday:

230816.jpg

... the models that is, the gaucanos aren't very aerodynamic.

Today was a strange day weatherwise, hot and sunny gave way to grey and quite breezy, made flying these little models quite interesting wink 2:

240816 1.jpg

Tried the Vampire with a larger capacity battery, therefore heavier, flew very nicely and gave me a flight time of around 8 minutes. The GWS Tiger Moth bounced about all over the place and at times in reverse! Still it survived the day.

240816 2.jpg

Still have a lot of catching up to do this year and Autumn is almost upon us, yipes another year is rolling on.

240816 3.jpg

240816 4.jpg

(mobile phone photos, sorry!)

Just got back from a very pleasant day at the field.

Curare ARTF - first out of the car, and the plastic 'tongue' that I cut out of left over cabin glazing last night made fitting the 6S pack dead easy without fighting the velcro. Place the tongue in the bottom of the battery bay, slide in the battery, slide out the tongue and the velcro grips instantly. Getting the battery back out was just as simple, ease the tongue under the battery and slide it back - instant release. Not much to say about flying the model, it's just about perfect from initial roll to taxying back to the flightline - best ARTF ever?

Next came the MiniPanic - now this is the other end of the spectrum to the Curare, guidance is a case of 'that was near enough', but the roll and spin rates are just hilarious.

Finally, a maiden. An older version Black Horse P47 Thunderbolt fitted with an OS91 Surpass. I get all nervous with warbirds, the maiden is usually where I find how badly thought out the retract beam mounting is. Not this time, two flights, masses of power on tap, flaps that really work and best of all both flights ended with the model taxying back under it's own power and on it's own wheels. Nice one Black Horse! A warbird that doesn't want to trip over it's own wheels and that appears to be fit for purposelaugh

Well,

I got a little time out this Afternoon,

alone.jpg

Nice blue skies and no one there to enjoy it but me.

I did catch this Hawk flying though.

hawk.jpg

It was a little windy, although that did not bother me . I had 3 nice full flights with my Guppy.

Getting 8 minuets out of a 4oz tank it is nice to blast the model around the skies full chat without having to worry about batteries or speed controller.

tdyguppy.jpg

It flies really well both fast and slow, Loops are nice and Rolls can be done fast or slow, going where you point it .

I am really pleased with this one smiley.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I have just returned from holiday. Rather disturbingly I did not miss flying or building at all. Almost out of a sense of duty I set of for the field, with four models.

The weather was uncharacteristically good, with a clear sky, no wind which ensured wall to wall sunshine.

As I slowly descended the farm track to the field, i spotted a few rabbits, sitting on the track. Then a young pheasant suddenly raised itself of the ground and started running along directly in front of the car. pretty soon, after 1/4 mile i had the rabbits bounding along the track all of us galloping a log at about 4-5mph. Pretty soon the rabbits leapt into the grass verge, but our road runner just kept on going, right up to the 1/2 mile point where i was just about to turn off, where upon it leapt into the air and flew directly over the car from where we had come.

The last time out, a wing on my Dornier 335 parted at the root. The resulting crash destroying the nose area, both motors flying off. Now it was fixed, up to a point, the fuz now being a slight banana shape. Strangely there was a reluctance for any one to launch it. Nothing for it but do the deed myself, with a degree of trepidation. A quick underarm through and it was away. Flies pretty much the same as before. Now that is a first for me.

I then decided to fly my delta, again a positive underarm throw had it skimming to the ground. Perhaps i should mention that the wind was a cross wind at 90 degrees. Picking the model up, a check for damage, then a up wind throw towards the out of bounds, a 90 degree turn had it flying well.

Onto the PZ Albatross, well, nothing to say, it flies itself.

Fianally I flew the Turnigy Arcus. i am reacquainting myself with it again, as i have barely flown it since moving. Again it flies itself, preferring a degree of speed, or the tail hangs down slightly.

I endured a bit of ribbing about my flying packing materials. As I said I am not ashamed of them, although I do prefer the plastic bases from frozen pizzas. Which i brought a suitcase of them back of holidaysmiley.

After a bit of banter I drove of home pondering the future, post Brexit. I was slightly reassured that it appears that the EU masters, are saddened by our Prime Ministers resignation, as this woman, is not one to be be messed with according to a number of Italians and Germans. Yes I do much prefer to be sitting at a bar with a good wheat beer, looking out over a lake as the sun beats down, as i languish in the shade. Hmmm, it appears if all goes well the Danes will join us and the Swiss want a new deal to. The big question is will i still be able to get my Wheat beer?indecision

Edited By Erfolg on 09/09/2016 20:36:03

"Summer's here...Who's been flying ?".....well not me this week!

Mrs Cymaz and I needed a well earned holiday. So I'm writing this from HERE. Very pleasant. Though, as it's adult only, it's very quiet. Lots of Germans and Spanish too!

Went into Huelva by bus yesterday. Then hopped on another one out to La Rabida. This is where the university is and there is also a monestary where Columbus spent several years raising money to fund his sail venture off the edge of the world. We went wrong a couple of times during the day, ( we had no bus times, apart from those bleached badly by the sun at the bus stops. Only the most basic of guide maps but a few kind Spanish bus drivers and a very helpful man at the museum at Huelva and we were off !

Word of advice ....most museums ect are shut on Mondays this time of year. Still, back to the pools ( they're sooooo cold ! ) which are very refreshing when it's 30*c

Welcome to Spain cymaz, albeit for just a brief stay.

I've been here for 9 years now belong to a great club. The weather is very advantageous for opportunities to go flying. However, when it's 35 - 37* for weeks/months on end it can be a little too much and an odd day of cloud, some showers and more British type temperatures are a very welcome relief.

Enjoy your stay.

Steve.

The Bonanza had its first flight this w.e. Roy Pine up the club did the honours for me. It's a bit of this and a bit of that design , in that I took various aspects of two plans on Outerzone .One was by Dan Rice the other by Mark Frankel . Both had foam wings originally but I decided to go with a built up version .Not easy with 5 degrees of washout to be built in .

The steerable nose wheel was moved into a more correct position and thanks to the input from the Forum I managed to get it to work with my 6 channel Futaba T.X.

After a few circuits it was all trimmed out and as Roy said "it flies like an Arisingstar trainer " .

All that is needed now is to add more flap movement and to make them variable , so it's now on to the Futaba 14 SG .! ! !

So I'd like to thank Roy and the Forum for a very successful weekend .

A bit more info ---it's approx. .one sixth scale and is powered by an S.C . 60 .

As an aside does anyone recognise the registration ? ? .

033.jpg

Yep...".the day the music died". Or ,so I believe ,from "This day in Aviatihave"

If it had been mine , I would have been daft enough to put "NCC-1701D"

Lovely model too !

Edited By cymaz on 20/09/2016 17:23:03

Edited By cymaz on 20/09/2016 17:23:58

It was a nice day to be up the field, and variety was the order of the day. At one end of the scale I flew my Little Stik, 20" span, 2S, 3 channel, at the other end was the Acrowot XL, 38cc petrol four stroke. In between were the ancient electric MiniPanic and a 1.20 Supass powered Focke-Wulf TA152. I need a bigger car!

Not that bad Percy!

20160924_152347.jpg

Maidened my Graupner 3M ASW15 this afternoon and although the wings were bending quite a bit in the 30+ mph wind once out away from the slope she was quite nice to fly.

20160924_151549.jpg

Had 3 flights and a couple with my PMP Wannabee before dark clouds arrived and I called it a day.

Edited By Chris Barlow on 24/09/2016 18:25:02

• 9 months later...