Whats The Future Hold One Man's Opinion

Mr Brown Cat

What does the future hold for Model Flying in the UK.

Let me start by asking a question:
Is the LMA reflecting the hobby or simply in the business of selling tickets to their air shows and looking after its own interests?
As the non flying general public see it the simple fact of organising public events, the LMA becomes the very public face of this hobby in all its forms.
It's about time the LMA and BMFA join forces, when it comes to demonstrating a clear path, from training aircraft to the beautiful scale models the LMA member bring to shows.
Model flying or what we define as a model is changing at a alarming rate and it is impossible to display all types of flying machine at only one airshow, but when I started going to LMA air shows many years ago there was room for all.
I know Mr Health And Safety has stopped a lot of things and you can only fly the aircraft kindly supplied by talented people but size isn’t everything; a constructive demonstration of affordable equipment flown in a safe way is in my opinion essential.
lets face it, most modellers still love getting back to basics and the shear fun of flying.
The LMA needs to look to the future and be a willing particepant in it, or face the consequences. without a future generation the inevitable will happen.
Drone racing with global stars like Charpu, are stealing the show.
Fpv and proximity park fling, fixed and multi-rotor are proving bigger hits for the video gaming generation.
The following regarding drones was taken from the LMA website "The BMFA are working on having leaflets explaining the rules placed in the box of every machine by the distributors / retailers to both inform everybody who buys one what the rules are, and encourage responsible use."
I can counter that statement with one word: Ebay.
I have watched this industry change over the years and with the development of modern electronics and home 3D printing, the future of this hobby can't be predicted.
The one thing that can be predicted is without a united effort by all modellers working with schools to educate in a fun and entertaining manner, accidents will happen.
Encourage children that only have cheap toys ( RTF ) to fly in a inclusive friendly environment and not be intimidated.
To quote myself, taken from other forums:
"The people that started this hobby with cheap models are now flying expensive models. They have forgotten what it is like to start at the bottom.
Having witnessed for myself at the Cosford show kids buying RTF models for pocket money prices, these are still models and those children are the future of this hobby or left alone its destroyer."
I can hear people shouting if they have bothered reading this far, “what about flight simulators?” my answer is:
1 RTF models are often cheaper than flight simulators.
2 How many people reading this started to fly before the invention of the computer, let alone simulators.
3 Modern children want instant results.
4 With modern electronics and flight computers, it is posable to fly anything using a simple iPad.
Try telling a idiot with a dji phantom he/she needs to spend hours on a flight simulator before he/she takes it to the football ground and flies it over the heads of the crowds.
FPV, Drones, RTF are not the enemy and bad for the hobby, they maybe be the future. maybe, just maybe, its the LMA that is in danger of extinction.
I also wish to remind some and encourage others to sign the BMFA petition to save UK airfields, loosing these sites threatens a number of model flying sites.

**LINK**

If by writing this I have offended those in charge that isn't my intention, my intention is only to create debate and to encourage more understanding and a common policy of education before there is a major incident.

Advert

Alot depends on how you define"the hobby" technology will have a big influence it maybe an rc plane may just become old technology like rubber power and control line models only enjoyed by a few die hards . It is understandable that the LMA promote large models but these are not what a beginner should start with but do they really need to explain that in fine detail at each show. I don't think dumbing everything down with a disclaimer as seems to be the fashion is necessary. There is a natural skill progression in the hobby the has a sort of self policing effect. Ie "people with expensive models started with cheap models" that is true but there is a learning process in-between. As an adult beginner with money enough to buy almost any model I tried jumping in with both feet and go from zero to hero with a wave of a credit card but I soon learned it does not work. I don't think the LMA or new multi rotor type models are a detriment to the hobby. The shortage of suitable flying site in the UK and the pressures of development in an increasingly crowded country is a problem and may mean small park flyers will be you only choice?

No axe to grind. Exactly the opposite I happen to have the upmost admiration for the LMA and its members. I just believe in a full day of fantastic flying by the LMA members a single slot could be handed over to show training aircraft flown in a sensible manner.

The future of this hobby is important one stupid mistake with a model and we all suffer.

Edited By Mr Brown Cat on 08/09/2015 07:50:00

the LMA do a good gob of promoting their shows and there own aspect of the hobby. Just because their shows are successful should that means they should promote all aspects of the hobby. I went to an LMA show last weekend and they displayed some large sky 120 trainers (still not beginners models). There was a BMFA stand at the show that was a sad empty tent with a few leaflets and seemed unmanned for a lot of the time. You cant blame the LMA for being relatively successful maybe it time for other organisations to up there game

Edited By Phil 9 on 08/09/2015 08:05:44

As I pointed out in my original post

"It's about time the LMA and BMFA join forces, when it comes to demonstrating a clear path, from training aircraft to the beautiful scale models the LMA member bring to shows. "

I agree the Bmfa involvement at LMA shows can only be described as is pitiful.

i would be interested to know what motivated Mr BC to set the thread away......seems to concentrate on one subject LMA and BMFA.....i think the future will involve more than them..had a look for BC's profile...nothing in it...i'm always a bit curious when someone comes on to the RCME forum and hide's behind a (name)...

ken anderson...ne...1........ answer BC'S opinion dept.

Trying to predict the future of model flying, certainly beyond a few years hence, is impossible. Who knows what outside influences might affect our freedom to fly our models, perhaps environmental concerns, security, legal issues, legislation,an unexpected huge rise in insurance or the cost of equipment?

All we can do is operate with what we have and be open to change as it manifests itself in order that new ideas are not stifled at birth and we welcome new ways of enjoying the hobby. Not everything 'floats my boat', in particular the craze for drone racing, but if it gets people flying and raises our profile in a positive way, then that's great.

I don't know much about the LMA v BMFA issue so will not comment other than to say that both organisations appear to operate for the common good of the hobby and are successful in how they go about their business.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Posted by Cuban8 on 08/09/2015 10:06:38:

Trying to predict the future of model flying, certainly beyond a few years hence, is impossible. Who knows what outside influences might affect our freedom to fly our models, perhaps environmental concerns, security, legal issues, legislation,an unexpected huge rise in insurance or the cost of equipment?

All we can do is operate with what we have and be open to change as it manifests itself in order that new ideas are not stifled at birth and we welcome new ways of enjoying the hobby. Not everything 'floats my boat', in particular the craze for drone racing, but if it gets people flying and raises our profile in a positive way, then that's great.

I don't know much about the LMA v BMFA issue so will not comment other than to say that both organisations appear to operate for the common good of the hobby and are successful in how they go about their business.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Totally agree!

I'm not sure what the OP is aiming to achieve having no other threads of his to review; but it does seem odd just to pop up and bang on about something that is functioning well; I enjoy both LMA and BMFA events, I'm a member off both as I believe my subs help support what I enjoy!!

As for the future; I wont be watching "drone racing" that's for sure... but each to there own.. I immediately head for the trade stands as soon as anything with "rotors" is spotted at any show! But that is my preference

Posted by ken anderson. on 08/09/2015 09:35:42:

...i'm always a bit curious when someone comes on to the RCME forum and hide's behind a (name)...

Thats right Ken, it looks very much like Mr BC's account was registered to anonymously create this thread. Thing is, thats not how it works. Any of the mods will know perfectly well who it is from their source IP.

Cheers
Phil

I can't comment about the BMFA presence at LMA shows other than Elvington where the stand was manned all day both days and the simulator trailer had a queue of people wanting a go all day both days too. We were very busy!

As for watching drone racing, reserve judgement until you have watched it, the FPV racing flightline at the Nats was very busy on both days and was probably the most vibrant there, not only could you watch the racing live, you could also watch the video feeds on large screen and there were plenty of sets of goggles that you could borrow to go along for a ride.Excellent commentry too.

The saying goes "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time" It does perhaps need an extra line though, something along the lines of "You can't please some of the people, ever!" Thankfully thats a very small number of people though.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 08/09/2015 11:27:27

I thought your first post was to introduce yourself to the forums - so er - hello Mr Brown Cat

Seems to be a bit of an essay with added issues! It a bit confused too, He seems to be for drone racing and multirotors but then calles somebody who buys a DGI Phantom an idiot. Also is he for or against technology? On one hand he is saying the future of the hobby is with computer gaming kids and then is knocking simulators seemingly on the basis that they did not exist in the old days and people still learnt to fly without them.

I myself found my Phoenix sim invaluable when starting out but must admit that multirotors and those other things with just the one spinny blade on top leave me a bit cold - if I cannot glue screw or fix it with a knife and a hammer then I am not interested!

But that is the thing about this hobby - it is so varied and if you like the high tech wizardry then now there is the ever expanding world of gizmos out there - if on the other hand you like gluing sticks together until you get some thing that flies (or not) then there is room for all.

In our club we have fpv drones, large scale warbirds, helicopters, old diesel gliders, high starts, more wot 4's and artf's than you can shake a stick at and loads of self builds both electric and ic. Without fail if somebody has a problem then help will come from all angles regardless of what you are flying.

And thats just it. We are all interested in flying as a hobby - how you get your flying fix is up to you.

Happy flying, Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 08/09/2015 11:37:24

In my mind the Hobby has at least 2 sides

there are thems that make planes and fly them ! and then there are thems that go to watch planes fly .

I used to got to shows to see what was available and see the skill of the guys flying them .

Its all different now , the aerial display is by "professionals" using planes you cannot actually buy from LMS,

( Cannot afford one anyway )

It is a True "Smallish " aircraft flying display , and is brilliant to watch , very entertaining .

This year at the Nats I met a well known pilot and forum member and I asked when he was flying on the show line , his reply was that he had been turned down as he did not have any plane with enough "Bling " to draw the crowd . ( nuff said )

So I see the Display Side as a separate thing and not actually "a hobby "

If you sometimes think when you are at a show," I would rather be flying" Then you must be a true aero nut !!

cheers

Posted by Mr Brown Cat on 07/09/2015 20:52:06:

The one thing that can be predicted is without a united effort by all modellers working with schools to educate in a fun and entertaining manner, accidents will happen.

Oh dear! Another one who thinks all the world's ills can be solved by covering it in schools.

Sadly today schools already have a very overcrowded curriculum which is dictated directly by government. Expectations on pupils and teachers is huge these days, and the time, even in after school clubs, to do such things as modelling is very limited if non-existant.

There is also the point that teach something in school and you've got it cracked is wildly flawed. Even if you did educate pupils, accidents will still happen. After all, all young people take driving lessons and have to take a test, yet these young people still have the most driving accidents.

Posted by Mr Brown Cat on 07/09/2015 20:52:06:

The LMA needs to look to the future and be a willing particepant in it, or face the consequences. without a future generation the inevitable will happen.
Drone racing with global stars like Charpu, are stealing the show.

The LMA is by definition for Large Model Aircraft, they (looking at the web site) do not proscribe it has to be fixed wing, large helicopter or large Multi rotors would under CAA definition come under their umbrella....

Each individual member (or group of members) decide on their own what type of "Large Aircraft" they wish to build... if one of the felt the urge to build a huge multirotor then they (I assume) would be free to do so within the existing CAA inspection and test flight scheme of things

Maybe its just that Multirotors are relatively new that the desire to go large hasn't manifested itself... yet

But I am pretty sure at some stage we will see one - there may be technology and/or safety issues that prevent this as yet I don't know - But one day I am sure we will

I assume the LMA would adapt to that aspect of their (witch) craft and do the required to enable it - it may well be a bit of a nightmare for them as there isn't a pool of experts readily available for inspections etc but I am sure they would try their hardest to assist the builders

The point of this ramble? That is isn't for the BMFA or LMA to direct the hobby in any particular way or direction, the hobby will continue to explore new areas on its own - thats the very nature of the top class builders - the role of the BMFA and LMA is to represent us within the CAA etc, to provide us with safety advice based on considered opinions from the hobby and external experts, and all the other things they currently do

I think it's related, but shows like weston park are not just LMA, but a mixture, same for a few others. BUT what I have noticed is, gone are the days of waiting for the YT slot, or weston UK slot, ALS etc so you can see what you are thinking of buying, flown!...most of the demo machines are beautiful and impressive but I suspect more of a spectacle than reality for most modellers.

Not sure whether bringing back time slots like "trainers", "sports aerobatic" "scale" , "super machines"... Would be worth a go....the shows are getting a bit repetitive, nice but, not a lot different...always open to change...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...but I wouldn't criticise any organisers for trying.

Sorry, I read post #1 twice and still wasn't sure what the message, (if any), was.

As someone who actually was involved in a model plane group during school time, (part of a 'Craft' lesson), way back in the 50's, I could see the logic at the time. It was cheap, (no RC), pupils learned a bit of hands-on skill, (not everyone was a potential artist), plus it was an excuse to go a try the models out in the play ground, or at a sports field, and who wouldn't want to do that.

But times change, along come other things to do that are seen as more important in schools than making model planes. Schools don't teach how to make model planes, but are more likely do get involved in building some robotics, or even a UAV including the electronics and programming are more likely to appear as part of school project.

The LMA is just one specific arm of the modelling followings, same as slope soaring, free flight, helicopters, aerobatics, jets, etc etc, it's just that they want to do things bigger. I like bigger model myself, but competitions and clubs don't particularly interest me.

So who teaches the 'new modelers' ?, we do, But now it's generally via the modeling forums. It picks up the many beginners who buy first and find out second, and often find out enough to continue in the hobby. For the many Internet savy people of today, a forum is easier to find than a club. Plus now, forums are probably doing all the work that the many local clubs used to do, and possibly better as people often get a near instant reply to many questions, (with pictures included  .

Pronlem ?, what problem ?

To mis-quote the OP, - '...face the consequences..' ?, '...the enivitable happening..' ?, it already has, the hobby is probably doing better than ever, but it's just happening more at an individual level, not at club level.

Edited By eflightray on 08/09/2015 19:03:00

Edited By eflightray on 08/09/2015 19:03:24