DIY servo leads

John Armstrong 2

Advert

I have a set of crimpers that I got from Ashtek many years ago. THey look like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servo-and-JST-Lead-Crimping-Tool-Jst-Sh-With-Ratchet-RC-Model-/291477544640?hash=item43dd6a5ec0

and seem to work really well.

Can't say I've ever really needed a magnifier, just nip the crimp in the crimp tool (those ones lock on), strip the wire to length so that one part of the crimp gets the wire and the other gets the insulation, insert and squeeze.

John, a close look at the plastic plug housing shows that each pin tube/slot has a tiny plastic latch. This locates on a tiny square slot towards the rear third of the pin. Once the pin is pushed relatively firmly in to position there will be a tiny click as this latch catches the pin. If the pin is inserted upside down, the latch doesn't work and you will be able to pull the pin out of the housing for another go! These plastic latches can easily be damaged so align carefully when inserting the pin.

I've been crimping my own connectors for many years now, for my aircraft and for my electronics hobby projects. I don't really see a need for a magnifying glass, or for many years' practice. I've never had one fail on me yet, but I have had one or two rejects where the pins got mangled in the crimper, or they crimped without the wire being in the right place.

For some reason I can't fathom, I've found that the "crimp sockets" I get from RS Components for use with their "crimp housings" are easier to handle than the ones sold for RC use at my local model shop. The housings are available in other pin-counts too, useful for connections in multi-rotors.

I'm also happy to extend servo leads by cutting them in half and soldering in a suitable length of servo cable.

Posted by will -0 on 23/09/2015 19:48:26:

I have a set of crimpers that I got from Ashtek many years ago. THey look like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servo-and-JST-Lead-Crimping-Tool-Jst-Sh-With-Ratchet-RC-Model-/291477544640?hash=item43dd6a5ec0

and seem to work really well.

Can't say I've ever really needed a magnifier, just nip the crimp in the crimp tool (those ones lock on), strip the wire to length so that one part of the crimp gets the wire and the other gets the insulation, insert and squeeze.

I've been crimping my own servo leads for years using an Ashtek crimping tool as well as Ashlok connectors. When Ash Jones packed up his part time business I stocked up on Ashlok multipin locking connectors which I find are excellent. It's not really that difficult and you can make them to the exact length you need and use twisted wire for longer ones.

I do use a head magnifier but that's because my 75 year old eyes aren't as good as they were so I use it for lots of other jobs. I too spent a life time in electronics design and the greatest problem was the gradual reduction in the size of all components. I used to keep a box of assorted value resistors in my bench drawer and had no problem picking out the right value from the pile, now I can't read the value of the tiny ones even with the magnifier

Geoff

I use crimp pliers from Hobbyking, and after a few false starts it has clicked and I get very few rejects.

I have bought ebay leads and granted, they are cheap; but the quality both in wire and connectors is extremely variable.

Also I am as likely to be shortening servo leads as I am making extensions. Having crimp capability allows both.

If you are a real cheapskate like me (or you want save every last gram of weight) then you reuse everything.

Extract the pins, carefully undo the cord grip crimp and break off the wire. Extend the servo wire with solder joints and heat shrink. Finally file the wire crimp down, resolder the new wire to the pin, re-crimp the cord grip and insert the pin back into the connector body.

A servo pin ready to be soldered onto the extended wire.

Servo pin

Its a bit of a 'time no object' exercise but on the plus side the joints are all soldered so good electrical contact, its cheap as the only cost is the extra servo wire. It is a bit fiddly with 32AWG leads. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 26/09/2015 21:55:27