Mass Build 2016 - Chat Thread for Voting

Advert

Rubber banded on might allow more movement. Gordon Whitehead used a banded on u/c on his Fly Baby plan for RM.

Peter specified 'black fuel tube' as the rear u/c strut on his Turbulent plan from RCMW years ago.

But this is just a sports model for everyday flying we don't need to get too carried away with detail!

I built an Oodallaly shortly after the plan was first published. I used a set of laser cut parts from Braincube. The quality of the wood and the cutting is just brilliant. The model has an ASP 36 in it and it flies just as well as a WOT 4 or Acrowot. The engine is now exhausted and needs to be replaced!!

I understand that Braincube is planning to offer laser cut sets of parts at competitive prices for any of the free plans available from RCME and RCMW (wood and Depron). Multiple sets for club builds would probably get some discount--worth phoning Oliver.

Posted by William Malham on 25/11/2015 18:52:01:

I built an Oodallaly shortly after the plan was first published. I used a set of laser cut parts from Braincube. The quality of the wood and the cutting is just brilliant. The model has an ASP 36 in it and it flies just as well as a WOT 4 or Acrowot. The engine is now exhausted and needs to be replaced!!

I understand that Braincube is planning to offer laser cut sets of parts at competitive prices for any of the free plans available from RCME and RCMW (wood and Depron). Multiple sets for club builds would probably get some discount--worth phoning Oliver.

I think that there could be problems there but I can't really comment.

I normally cut all my own parts out but sometimes if there are a lot of different wing ribs etc I will ask SLEC to cut them out if the design in intended for RCM&E and occasionally I will ask Traplet to cut the ribs out if that is where the plan is going. But then I am lazy.

Hi all,

As I've just taken over the running of the RCM&E plans service and My Hobby Store, I am in the position to be able to give all the mass builders a discount on the plans, CNC sets and Woodpacks of the winning plane. Hopefully this will encourage any who weren't sure of the pricing and make the Mass Build an option for all.

I will let you all know the information and discount codes needed when the winner has been announced and they are available on the site.

Beth

Beth, will it be possible to purchase just a set of laser cut wing ribs rather than the whole precut set? I think there would be far more purchasers of a set of wing ribs than the whole laser cut set. Many people like to select their own balsa for fuselage & tailplane so they dont want these precut. Also there is the saving in postage.and waiting in for the postman ( suppliers of just wing ribs like DB Sport & Scale plan packs manage to post them in small envelopes which go through the letterbox.)

I think my comments would apply to most of the plans produced in RCME . Many people would buy the plan, a set of ribs and the canopy or cowl but don't want the whole CNC set.

If the Ballerina were to win, I personally would not expect any great numbers of wing ribs to be sold, although the cost of the work to create a file for cutting would be minimised by possibly by 90%. Then the cost of the wood and manpower in production remain the same as any model.

I guess if SLEC is the producer of the semi kits, they might as well just sell wing rib packs, even if the numbers sold are low, as the investment in cutting files has already been made.

In my case, on a parallel wing, I cut my own, smileythen again on a tapered wing, I reluctantly do the samesad.

It may not be on topic, but I'm sure it will be of interest to all those who are voting.

I actually asked if it was any cheaper per copy to have 2 sets done. She said it was still £3.50 per copy, and double checked the price on the computer behind the counter. I would imagine that the price list would be the same throughout the country.

On the other hand, the printing service they provide, may be done as a local concession by an external contractor. I think she was wearing a Staples uniform though!

Here's a link to Staples copy and Print services

Just checked a few random stores and online price is consistent at £3.50 per A0 copy

Edited By Gary Manuel on 27/11/2015 17:48:15

Edited By Gary Manuel on 27/11/2015 17:50:34

Edited By Gary Manuel on 27/11/2015 17:56:00

The triangles indicate the edges of a part and if there is more than one part in the same area of the drawing the edges will be marked with black and white triangles as a set.

i.e the black triangles are the edges of one part and the white triangles are the edges of another part.

You're doing it right though. Study the plans for a while and develop an idea of what is going to go where, how and why. Best to spend a couple of hours looking at the plan before you start cutting any wood. yes

The solid black triangles show the fuselage sides. The outline back triangles show the front ply doubler and the small one under the tailplane. Iused a third type of arrow for the one under the taialplane but this has been changed.

On my original there is a note showing what is inidicated by which triangle. THis has not been included on the final plan and I missed this when checking the proofs.

Hi Craig,

one of the things you will get out of the MB is experience in reading plans and starting to "see" the 3-dimensional structure from the 2-dimensional drawing. At first this is tricky and what you are doing - ie studying the drawing - is spot on. But even if you don't quite fully "get it" yet - don't worry. As soon as the first few of the more experienced builders set off and start blogging and posting photos you have that "penny dropping" moment of "Ah I see what that is now". And then you've learned something - that you will remember and the next time you see that on a plan you'll be able to visualise it in your head no problem. It's all part of the process of learning how to build a model from basically a drawing.

BEB