John's Ballerina Build

Advert

I rarely weigh anything and I don't scrimp on glue, though I do try to avoid oak grade timber. I'm usually surprised by how little if any extra weight I build in. The exception is my Eros where I experimented with poly-c/glasscloth and paint for the finish and had problems with the paint used, it is probably at least a pound overweight as a result.

My conclusion is - follow the plan, don't go overboard with paint and it'll be fine.

Yes can't see anyone having weight problems either.

Started on the fuzz, mine's lecky so I altered F2 for lipo to fit, then I added a couple strips of balsa to put some strength back and a bit of birch ply for the dowel hole (my lite ply feels a bit weak) I've opened formers out as well, servos are going in tail.

Johnb29 005.jpg

b29 006.jpg

Posted by Chris Barlow on 21/01/2016 01:26:53:

Quite a bit lighter than mine then!

20160121_001430.jpg

Still got the leading edge to fit as well!

I reckon my wing will weigh about 450 grams bare including the undercarriage blocks and servos but not the undercarriage itself. It's just under 360 right now with a bit more sheeting to do on the second wing and less 40 grams for the 2 servos.

I was wondering just why the wing was taking me so long until I did a mental addition of all the different bit of wood that need cutting out glueing together - it comes to around 200! Still, nearly done now and then I can get onto the interesting bit - the fuselage. I find wings a bit tedious but also a bit stressful because it's so important to get them right which is why I always get them over first. Good job I like sticking bit of wood together even though I make a lot of mistakes.

Geoff

You shouldn't stay that long in the workshop, John.

I normally stop bashing things in 'La Grotte' right on time for the evening's meal apéritif(s)...

... otherwise my pics quality would start to decrease highly as well. wink

Two questions though > 1/ what is the reason that you're only gluing F1 & F6 at this time? 2/ When I glue my plybox together, should I use epoxy or aliphatic?

I was thinking of using aliphatic all around & only epoxy for the 6mm ply motormount.

Still following your blog with great interest.

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pictures Control

Working late because I had company Chris, and only glued the two because clamps got in way of F2, rear formers will be fitted when other side is added, I use epoxy on motor mounts and former where the wing dowel go's for strength, your ply box will be fine with Aliphatic.

John

Edited By john stones 1 on 23/01/2016 09:19:38

Has everybody got old alarm batteries floating around to use as jigging blocks? I have used spare motorcycle batteries for this and for ballast when pressing doublers down etc., up until one got knocked off the bench and sprang a leakblush

Remember kiddies, lead acid batteries make a mess of the carpet so don't do this at home!