2016 Nationals

Cuban8

Advert

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 11/01/2016 22:22:18:

I get the feeling that the RAF isn't very interested in allowing their facilities (or our facilities as tax payers as someone mentioned earlier) to be used for aeromodelling events. The use of Barkston has been quite seriously reduced in the past couple of years.

It isn't the RAF as such, more the incumbent C/O. Let's put it this way, if we wanted to host a Horse show at Barkston, it might not be so much of a problem...

Hopefully, looking at the tenure lengths of Cranwell C/O's over the last 90 years he should be promoted soon...

This is an opportunity for the BMFA to shine. We have had an inclination this may happen for a while now, so hopefully the BMFA are already on the case and come up trumps. A controversial national flying centre and a failed Nats within a couple of years dont make good reading for a national organisation representing the masses. I must be positive, and assume they get it organised. If the national flying centre was to combat this situation..well!!...tut tut

Posted by Chris Jones 7 on 12/01/2016 08:49:36:

RAF Cottesmore - now Kendrew barracks

RAF Wittering

Both have plenty of space and both have only relatively recently stopped flying operations so runways etc will still be in good condition. There's still gliding at Wittering but there's also enough space to work round it.

Wittering is currently one of the busiest RAF bases - it is the home of at least two University Air Squadrons, and more are due to arrive in the next few months.

Woodvale would suit me well! Just 20 miles away. Of course it did host the Woodvale Show very successfully for a number of years, until a falling out with other parties - not the RAF.

But if the NATS becomes just a showline and trade, sadly I will not go. I think that proposal is flawed for two reasons:

1. In my opinion the showline is not the major draw for enthusiasts. Its good for first time newbies and somewhere to park "the family". But for me, and suspect many other core attendees, its the chance to see disciplines we don't often see at so high a standard that is best, things like; the scale line, the IMAC and yes the C/L comps.

2. Trade at shows are yesterday's thing. In the days before the internet they were very valuable. Even if you were lucky enough to have a good LMS not too far away even it would not have everything you wanted. So the trade at the shows and the NATS was chance to seriously stock up. But now, when we can order anything from anywhere in the world and have it in few days, or even less, the presence of the trade, while nice, is simply not that big a deal anymore.

I really hope BMFA rethink this proposal and can hopefully find a suitable venue to hold something more like the NATS and less like "just another show".

BEB

Will the BMFA be asking the RAF if they have any sympathetic base commanders ?

The head of the LMA is some RAF chap isnt he?, perhaps this is a foot in the door to the right persons desk.. alternatively how about the head of the RAFMAA and see if he can provide access to the right person.. The ATC cadets can be used to lend a hand and join in the weekend of fun..

I, for one, cannot believe ALL RAF facilities are unable to support a liked minded hobby over a Bank Hol weekend when most if not all personnel are off base or at home... Unless operational - Bank Hol working will involve overtime and without valid reason, that will not be sanctioned.

Will the University air squadrons not be on "holidays" during the summer recess?

Postive solutions here chaps.. lets have them instead of why it cant go ahead..

Although I am really hoping the comments from EXTRA SLIM above are spot on about Chacksfield House being in the case already and they will surprise us all by coming up TRUMPS..

Thats nothing to do with Donald by the way.. or the last of the sprouts.. wink

Posted by Flyer on 12/01/2016 11:39:22:

One that won't be looked at is Cawdor Barracks ( the former RAF Brawdy base). Ideal access onto the runway from the adjacent road which does not need access to the base. But it's too far west.......... and in Wales.......

we can but dream...secret

I'd love to go there again! I was stationed there, working on Fairey Gannets in the mid sixties, when it was RNAS Brawdy.yes

Posted by Eagle 899 on 12/01/2016 13:19:08:
Posted by Flyer on 12/01/2016 11:39:22:

One that won't be looked at is Cawdor Barracks ( the former RAF Brawdy base). Ideal access onto the runway from the adjacent road which does not need access to the base. But it's too far west.......... and in Wales.......

we can but dream...secret

I'd love to go there again! I was stationed there, working on Fairey Gannets in the mid sixties, when it was RNAS Brawdy.yes

Lived for 23 years 1/2 mile north west of the runway; that's why I have a definite soft spot for the Hunter. (a little too young for the Gannets)......but a by product of the '60's..... wink

I'm with BEB on this one, I can go to any number of shows during the season and see trade and showlines, its all the same. The NATS gives us something we don't see anywhere else and is what makes it special. For me  I would sooner see the aeromodelling action and sacrifice the show line and trade. Either way I do hope they find somewhere to host it as we know it, lets keep our fingers crossed thumbs up

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 12/01/2016 16:34:13

In the present climate Security Issues will be a significant issue for all of the armed forces. I personally do expect that more of the various sites to be used far more intensively, with the issue not only finding a suitably wide window for other uses. Various security issues may well come with access, even with support from within the MOD.

I am not at all convinced that the present types of arrangements will continue. I can almost hear the voices saying, if you only listened to us we would have a NFC, available as needed or wanted.

In my opinion that particular view argument is based on knowing what your preferred solution is.

Our hobby needs more nationwide arrangements, accepting that we cannot possibly afford to buy sufficient suitable sites to provide a nationwide coverage.

The more I read about the Nationals, the less I recognise the picture of a rallying call to all modellers. Most catergories seem to be down to often very small number of entrants. That seems to be true in general from FF Scale to F3b. Moving the nationals to locations in the major regions, could be part of the solution.

In the distant past, i ran BARCS League competitions, which regularly had 60-80 entrants in 100s and Open. Now similar comps apparently will have just a handfull, perhaps 6.I imagine that  I am no different to many other ordinary modellers, wanting our hobby to be vibrant. To achieve this end, where things are in decline, we need to change with the times. It does not make sence to pretend to ourselves that the Zeitgeist is other than what it is.

We are not wanted at Barkston. It probably is not really personal.

Edited By Erfolg on 12/01/2016 16:56:11

If the Bmfa are planning a show line and trade stands at Barkston its obvious the Nats is not going to take place in its current format anywhere else otherwise they would be incorporated at the new venue. I think it will be like the last time the bmfa couldn't get a venue. It was left to the disciplines to organise their own events. They did a cracking job under the circumstances.

Posted by john featherstone 1 on 12/01/2016 16:10:31:

well me old Cuban eight you'd have to do what we do,and book into a hotel,or premier lodge,or even camp,not a 520 round trip for us but hours on the motorway to get there to barkston nightmere place to get to

We actually do take the caravan for the weekend so although the miles aren't done in a single day, I still don't think I'd bother for what is after all a relatively short stay and a lot of driving time (especially towing).

I do fear that we've seen the best of the Nats now and that it's reached it's Zenith over the last few years. National competitions, camping, trade show, show line, bring and buy, indoor flying, flying for the kids, 2.4 line for after hours flying, night flying, free flight fun, evening socializing and a beer or ten if that's what you like - and all on a huge site, centrally situated and easily able to cope with it all. An amazing feat of organization by the BMFAyes.

Can't see any other site coming close (unless it's another nearby RAF station) and I'm afraid a National Centre on the size of what appears to be favoured is going to be a pale imitation. That of course is another discussion and a whole different can of worms yet to be opened fully.