Oh no! Now we might have to register fizzy drink bottles!

Romeo Whisky

Fizzy drinks bottle involved in near miss with Airbus!!

Daily Mail article

After all the fears about the Irish and Americans having to register all their models with the authorities, presumably they'll have to register Pepsi and fizzy water bottles next too. And if the knee-jerking bureaucrats have their way, they will want to print the relevant ANO clauses on every fizzy drinks bottle next!

There are dozens of potentially lethal bird strikes every year. Are high-flying geese to be registered next? Is the world going mad?

Advert

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 02/02/2016 17:40:35:

We used to put Andrews Liver Salts in old medicine bottles put a cork in the top and shook vigorously. The cork flew quite high.,

Bet it never made1500 ft and nearly brought down a passing airliner though, Geoff......wink 2

Pete

Ohh - we were much naughtier than that! Take a bottle, put some calcium carbide in the bottom. Add water. Seal the top with two wires passing into the bottle and bury it 3/4 in some sand. Retire to a "safe" distance and connect the wires to capacitor and a 12v battery - wuffff! Sand everywhere! Very dramatic.

Ah - we did have loads of "harmless" fun as kids!

Don't try this at home!

BEB

PS Was the fizzy drink a 74-7Up?

Hey! I thought you moderators were supposed to keep us in order and here's two of you encouraging very bad behavioursmile o

Passing air liners? There weren't many of those passing over Nottinghamshire in the late 1940s and in the early 1940s we would've been commended for downing the odd Heinkel.

Geoff

I find it difficult to believe that any technology is capable of getting a 2 to 3 litre fizzy bottle to the stated altitude. BEB is innocent, in both meanings of the word. That is a hell of a blast, and the velocities involved to rocket it that high are problematic. Can't be done.

Edited By Donald Fry on 02/02/2016 20:22:09

Ok. A rocket made from two two litre bottles - say three and a half allowing for overlap. The thing fueled up (full of water) will weigh over 3.5kg...... and it got to 1500ft! I mean, allowing for it being in the Mail so it is probably ga ga, is that even possible - or are we missing a trick?

It would put launching a glider with a hi-start bungee to shame!

Edited By mightypeesh on 02/02/2016 20:25:01

No problems Donald. Tis the blight of 'cabin fever' that has hit the forum of late. I know it is bonkers, but I just like the idea of a new competition catagory for water powered gliders..... bit like I like the idea of perpetual motion motors made from permanant magnets...... and exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Simon

Posted by mightypeesh on 02/02/2016 20:35:15:

Just had a quick google - world record for water rocket - 2723ft!!

**LINK**

Its not two water bottles but all the same......

From the report here, the record-breaking rocket is 2.68m tall. It produced 550kg of thrust and blasted off to 550km/h in under 0.5 seconds - so as stated, a bit more than 2 2litre bottles!

For once, the comments following the article are quite sensible - many pointing out how unlikely it is that that type of rocket could get anywhere near the altitude claimed.

Posted by Donald Fry on 02/02/2016 20:20:22:

I find it difficult to believe that any technology is capable of getting a 2 to 3 litre fizzy bottle to the stated altitude. BEB is innocent, in both meanings of the word. That is a hell of a blast, and the velocities involved to rocket it that high are problematic. Can't be done.

Edited By Donald Fry on 02/02/2016 20:22:09

Where does the information that the object was made from fizzy pop bottles and powered by water come from - other than the sensationalist newspaper report? All I've spotted that's attributed to the airprox report is that it was a rocket shaped article the size of 2 pop bottles and encountered at 1500 feet.

Could have been any old garbage at 1500ft, anything in a decent boomer of a thermal.

Last year I encountered a balloon (a "toy" latex type) at about 15 - 20 THOUSAND feet on the climb out of Bristol. It was a lot further away that a few hundred feet - I have no idea how far though - and even at that distance the time I had to see, observe, register, identify etc was a fraction of a second and way too short to say "ah, two coke bottles and a piece of gorilla tape, if I am not mistaken". So a closer object would have traversed my field even faster and had even less ID!

Of course, stuff flying up AT you give you a longer period - but they tend to trail smoke! Actually, Ive seen stuff coming DOPWN at me too...and that trailed smoke! (Im not bragging about combat ---never seen combat, thankfully, but I have seen a few things come up and down, one way or another)

Even though I say "balloon", it might have been a sphere or even a small UFO for all I know. Manned by Elvis.

David

The idea that a coke bottle could reach the heights described is clearly rubbish, without ant calculations, relying on experience only.

I recently accompanied one of my grandchildren on a open day at a local school. There were a number of demonstrations and light hearted competitions. One of which is was a comp, on assessing how much water to put in a plastic coke type bottle, which was then connected to a track cycle pump. Which was pitted against a bottle run by the students. The angle was determined by each contestant to determine the max distance that there bottle would fly.

The important bit, getting the student to pump the bottle to the max pressure they were allowed to take it to, with the bottle approx 1/3 rd full, setting the bottle to 45 degrees, our bottle reached no more than 100 yards, which was pretty much the same as the students.

The news report is just not credible.

Edited By Erfolg on 03/02/2016 17:00:26