Do you think some sort of registration system would protect the hobby from rogue flyers?

Beth Ashby Moderator

First of all let me offer my sincere apologies because I have just re-read my previous post and to me? It comes across rather sarcastic which wasn't it's intention.

After considerable thought what I should have pointed out is this:-

Generally most law abiding citizens comply with rules & regulations of the land. That's why we have order in our society. But, those who chose not to abide by the laws of society do so for whatever reason.

To over regulate our laws only makes it more difficult for the law abiding. Whereas those who choose to live outside the laws will carry on as normal.

Look at our gun laws for example..... because of stiff regulation it's easier to get an illegal firearm than to follow procedure to get a legal firearm while these regulations designed to stifle the law breakers will just continue as normal.

Do we want our wonderful hobby to be come over regulated and go the same way? NO!

O

• 2 weeks later...

Registration, especially as set out by BEB would be the end of pretty much anyone pursuing the hobby outside the world of club flying fields, if only because it would be impossible for them to gain these A or B certificates. I wonder how many would therefore leave the hobby.

Think also about the affect on the market. Presumably there'd need to be import controls to stop unregistered flyers buying from overseas, then there'd be the reduction in sales of RTF and similar models. These are going to push up prices even for the qualified club flyer, which might in turn reduce even their numbers.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 21/03/2016 15:59:53:

Registration, especially as set out by BEB would be the end of pretty much anyone pursuing the hobby outside the world of club flying fields, if only because it would be impossible for them to gain these A or B certificates. ................................................

Not impossible at all, as you don't have to be a club member, or even a BMFA member to do the tests. Quoted from the BMFA handbook:-

“The Achievement Scheme is run by the BMFA as a National Scheme and it is open to all model flyers. However, non-members of the BMFA must produce evidence of Third Party insurance in the sum of not less than £5,000,000. “

I believe that they will now even give you insurance for the day to cover that last bit.

The handbook, tests, and guidance docs are all on line, so even that is no obstacle.

Dick

Posted by Dickw on 21/03/2016 16:24:53:
Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 21/03/2016 15:59:53:

Registration, especially as set out by BEB would be the end of pretty much anyone pursuing the hobby outside the world of club flying fields, if only because it would be impossible for them to gain these A or B certificates. ................................................

Not impossible at all, as you don't have to be a club member, or even a BMFA member to do the tests. Quoted from the BMFA handbook:-

I say impossible, because you could only pass such a test, even if you had an eligible model, once you had already learned to that standard, and under the proposed scheme that learning and practice would be illegal.

Personally I would think it ludicrous if we end up with more regulation around flying a model than there is around flying a full size hang glider - including a powered HG, or taking a boat to sea even on international trip.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 21/03/2016 18:37:04:

I say impossible, because you could only pass such a test, even if you had an eligible model, once you had already learned to that standard, and under the proposed scheme ...................................................

Which proposed scheme?

Dick

Posted by Dickw on 21/03/2016 20:14:12:

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 21/03/2016 18:37:04:

I say impossible, because you could only pass such a test, even if you had an eligible model, once you had already learned to that standard, and under the proposed scheme that learning and practice would be illegal.

Which proposed scheme?

Dick

Posted by Erfolg on 21/03/2016 20:34:54:

Dickw I take it you have seen this thread and read the link?

He's already posted in it so I think it's fair to assume he knows a bit about it! The scheme I assume he is querying is one that precludes learning to fly!

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/03/2016 21:21:11

Posted by Erfolg on 21/03/2016 20:34:54:

Dickw I take it you have seen this thread and read the link?

Yes, I have read that thread (and posted on it), and I have read the link, plus I have also read the actual BMFA guidance documents on their website relating to the new Proficiency Certificates.

However, as Martin has already pointed out, none of this relates to the question I asked about "which proposed scheme" would make learning to fly illegal.

Dick

Yes, sorry guys my post was unclear, my use of the word "proposed" has clearly come across as meaning it is something that's been formally proposed by some authority and governing body.

I was actually referring to is the scheme suggested earlier in this thread ..

"1. I think all pilots of UAVs (that includes models) should be personally licenced. The scheme could be operated by the BMFA with the current A-cert being a basic class licence to fly aircraft upto 7Kg and the current B-cert being an endorsement on that licence that covers you to 20Kg."

Maybe those who don't read that the same way as I did could explain how it would apply to someone who teaches themselves to fly outside a club field, and therefore by definition needs to do so before holding the A certificate.

I can imagine a big negative impact on the hobby if such ridiculous stuff is brought into force.

"1. I think all pilots of UAVs (that includes models) should be personally licenced. The scheme could be operated by the BMFA with the current A-cert being a basic class licence to fly aircraft upto 7Kg and the current B-cert being an endorsement on that licence that covers you to 20Kg."

Up to 7kg, so kid who received a tiny £15 Silverlit heli or plane for Xmas ought to get a license which could cost them club fees and so on, maybe £70 or more ? To my mind that's pretty bogus and totally impractical.

Personally, I'm not interested in being registered and neither am I interested in achieving any certificate level of skill. I don't like to fly in even slightly busy public places an will avoid it if I possibly can.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of points. 1) A rogue is always a rogue 2) In days off yore we had to be licenced to fly R/C but never once was I asked for my licence 3) needing a licence never stopped some people flying without one. 4 ) ref a name for what people call a drone .Why not have the word (s ) rotor and or copter ( s ) in the title . Especially in relation to craft with POWERED rotors as opposed to Autogyros. ` I exclude Autos as they can't hover usually. for very long .Am I talking from the back of my neck or not ?

I missed a bit .Flying in public parks is governed by local Bye Laws and generally allows gliders and some rubber up to a certain size or weight. Most preclude powered flight wether i.c. or electric. Some don't allow anything even chuckies However try and find the relevant laws in the council offices.I mean do try and find them as you could be doing yourself out of bit of gentle flying if some is alive.

Posted by Percy Verance on 08/04/2016 21:16:07:

onetenor

Some Local Authorities don't have a clue regarding whether they allow model flying in parks or not. This was the case with my own LA when I enquired on behalf of one of our members. The female clerk I spoke to hadn't a clue what I was actually asking about until I spent a few moments enlightening her. I'm still awaiting her reply several months on...........

I had much the same run around with Manchester City Council - they were trying to steer me to fly in a park the other side of the city rather than actually answering the question "can I fly in my local park" - but I was persistent and eventually they conceded that there actually were no by-laws to prohibit any type of flying as long as the ANO regulations were adhered to0 and that "if requested by the police or a council officer" I would have to cease flying

In the end I never actually bothered flying there but it did show me they generally dont have a clue!

Perhaps it is worth taking the view that if any issue is not high on the priority of the LA and its officials, lets keep it that way.

My own LA, does not explicitly ban model flying, although it has the powers to selectively prohibit anything, it seems. On that basis one of my clubs operated on a local parkr for years, without hindrance.

In our case we were then totally silent flight, which became silent and quite flight. We have always recognised that it is noise that annoys. Many, if not all locals seem to either be indifferent to our models, through to having a passing interest.

In previous years I have flown electric park flyers in the park and on the golf course directly behind my house, both owned and operated by the LA. In my case I keep out of the way of people and animals. I have not flown there this year as there has not been the intense lows that bring still air.

In general, it is best to let "sleeping dogs lie",

Edited By Erfolg on 08/04/2016 22:36:22

Hi all , not sure where this thread is going but my view is that I wanted to get back into flying I needed A to fly solo so joined a club and got my A. So in my view did this for fixed wing so why not do the same for heli and drones etc.

Whatever discipline you chose pick the corresponding BMFA and go for it , it's it's not difficult just experience that basic standard of flying.

B next so best swot up on the latest requirements , if I can do it at 64years young then best remove the finger lol . By the by just joined ukcaa now that looks time a fun place and a cool place to learn sone aerobatics without any pressure.

Paul.

Chose

• 2 weeks later...

I agree totally with Tony Harrison and one or two others , NO way should we have to be registered , anyone up to no good wouldn`t bother anyway , and if you saw a drone flying somewhere it shouldn`t be , then how the hell are you going to trace the pilot of it , who could be a mile or more away , and let`s face it , if you`re up to no good you`d have the top range equipment which can be programmed to return home and land at any destination . As for registration of the actual model , so long as Joe Bloggs sees some kind of registration on a model he`s not going to question it`s legitimacy !!! No way could any such scheme be policed / checked / monitored , call it what you will . If the do gooders don`t stop poking their noses in , then we`ll eventually loose another of our great hobbies ! There`s always some one or some group of people who don`t like what others do , or don`t follow the same line of thought . Me personally I don`t like football , infact I hate it with a passion, but I don`t want to put restrictions on people that do like football . Leave us genuine modellers alone , keep your big noses and unwanted meddling fingers out of our pastime. All the legislation in the world hasn`t stopped gun or knife crime , and neither will it stop terrorism or any other idiot uses of model aircraft by those who do not wish to comform . WE WILL LOOSE THE HOBBY IF RESTRICTIONS ARE BROUGHT IN BY THE GOVERNMENT , people just won`t want the hassle involved just to fly a model plane . It will also have a knock on effect amongst the local model shops .