Just ordered one of these for work!

skua.jpg

Its called a Skua and its specifically for FPV etc. We will be using it for some agricultural surveying work we are doing. At 2.1m wingspan its quite a large aircraft for FPV.

OK - it'll win no beauty contests - but it is very practical!

I am consoling myself with the thought that if I'm flying it FPV at least I won't have to look at it!

BEB

... if that 'thing' eventually flies...

... I still might have some luck with the Bella Ballerina...

On the other hand, what about a biplane version, BEB?

Could be even slower and give you the possibility to 'see' the plants GROW?

And of course, you could call it "Gro-Wings Bipe"

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Gro-Wings Control

I really can't defend its looks can I - I can only agree!

But it does have a few virtues - for those interested in this sort of stuff:

1. The dual pods means the upper is used for the radio gear while all the FPV and "drone stuff" (GPS etc) goes in the lower - less interference and neater.

2. Those side doors drop right down so everything can be reached really easily.

3. With a 4s 10,000mAh battery the flight time will be over 2 hours!

The FPV kit will be mainly Fat Shark: (video Tx and Rx) with Immersion RC circular polarised attenae. Sony CCD cam with pan and tilt stage. Fat Shark Dominator V3 goggles with head tracking. The auto-pilot/OSD will be Eagletree vector.

So, it may be as ugly as sin but it will be a very well equiped ugly duckling!

BEB

Dear Professor, if you do not have footage and clips from modeling events, especially the Greenacres.... it never happened... so I welcome your new acquisition thumbs up
Yes you did...  and please go ahead.

Joe

Note:
Information for above aestheticians .... a
FPV models must be efficient..... and beauty is in the third plan...face 1

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 15/03/2016 21:19:58

Well having owned up to it - I thought some folks might like to see it all go together. So, although its really work and not hobby realted, the fact is we don't get many build blogs of large FPV aircraft so here goes.

It all arrives in a big box form HK...

skua_0001.jpg

Nicely packed inside and following a quick stock take we can established that all is present and correct - at least as far as the basic airframe and power system etc. The FPV stuff is coming separately....

skua_0002.jpg

The "instructions" are minimalist - just a picture sequence really showing the main assembly steps. We start with the upper pod which will hold the radio gear and ESC etc. This has the tail attached via a CF tube. Note the blue plastic cradle towards the back of the tube, this holds the rudder and elevator servos...

skua_0003.jpg

Below is a close up of the cradle with the servos I will be using there. These Turnigy S306G servo are very good solid units - metal case, over 3Kgcm of torque, very high speed and metal gears - £16 buys a lot of servo on HK!

skua_0004.jpg

And here are the two servos in place....

skua_0005.jpg

Next we turn to the lower pod that will house the FPV equipement....

skua_0006.jpg

Note the ply hangers built in to the top of the lower pod. These insert into the upper pod and the whole lot is held together via the carbon fibre tubes. The two front tubes are structural - in that they pass through wooden formers in the upper pod. The rear most rod is not structural, as far as the pod location is concerned, as it only passes through foam. Its purpose is purely to help accurately locate the wings....

skua_0007.jpg

The photo below shows a close up of the inside of the upper pod, note the square cut-out in the centre, this matches a similar cut down located under the rear servo cradle - this will provide a conduit along which we will be able to pass the rudder and elevator servo leads along the CF tail boom. The thing about this sort of build is you just have to see things like that for yourself - remember there is little in the way of any instructions!

skua_0008.jpg

Next we can fit the main undercarriage - er, a bit agricultural to put it mildly! But maybe that's appropriate under the circumtances!...

skua_0009.jpg

One of the less impressive features are the "main" wheels - tiny aren't they!

skua_0010.jpg

But we do have a few spares in stock as alternatives!.....

skua_0011.jpg

And here we are with an overview of the progress so far, now the right way up!

skua_0012.jpg

OK, that progress so far. More soon.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/03/2016 23:03:39

A bit more progress today - one of the disadvantages of combining your job and your hobby, you end up "working" on Sundays!

Next up is fitting the aileron servos. Here is the kit they provide "dry fitted"...

skua_0013.jpg

Yuk! Oh dear. Coincidentally there is a thread running at the same time as this on these push-rod style connectors here. As can be seen opinion is divided - some against, some for. I haven't posted but if I did it would be very definitely in the against camp - I just don't trust them, they feel all wrong to me. So, its raid the supplies of spares and accessories and a couple of nice quick-links found and some 2mm end threaded rod. Out with the Z-bend pliers and we have this:

skua_0014.jpg

Which is much better in my opinion. A few more safety features to add to that - but we'll do that in a minute.

Next up we need to deal with the control horns. This is how they are supplied...

skua_0015.jpg

Well good luck getting that to glue securely into the foam aileron - no key. So I drilled two 2mm holes and textured the blade a little giving me this....

skua_0016.jpg

A bit of 5min epoxy - which will flow through those holes - and the control horn is firmly embedded into the aileron.

Now we can run the servo lead and its extension - making a little rebate in the foam at the appropriate place so that the extension connector can be let in flush with the wing...

skua_0017.jpg

The whole of that run is now covered with a narrow strip of tape to hold the servo lead in place.

Now we can add the two more safety features to the aileron linkage, just to be sure; first a plastic tube keeper and second a nut tightened up against the clevis...

skua_0018.jpg

Once all settled a drop of blue Loctite will be added to the nut. The servo is held in on a bed of double-sided tape and then taped over as shown. OK, its not pretty - but this is not a hobby build, this is working aircraft and utility, combined with easy "in-flield" maintenance, is very much the order of the day.

The last job today has been the fitting of the fin/rudder and tail plane....

skua_0020.jpg

This is proving to be a right faff! Basically you have to align three tubes (the tail boom, the fin inset tube and the tail plane inset tube) so that a M3 bolt will pass through all of them - so that's effectively 6 holes lined up! After 1/2 hour of trying - involving lining up by eye, measuring it and marking, using a guide-rod to get the rough alignment etc - but with no success I decided to give up for tonight before I threw the damn thing across the workshop! Tomorrow is another day and I often find that when faced with a tricky, fiddley job like this I often struggle, give up then go in the next day and do it first time like there was no problem! Well - I can hope can't I? wink 2

Looking at the tail plane the elevator seems very large whilst the rudder seems tiny! Given that the nose wheel is not steerable such a small rudder does not bode well for trouble-free straight take off runs! I might have my work cut out here.

So that's it for now. Final sorting of the tail and then start the installation of the c2c (UAV speak - "command and control" what we would call the radio gear - ie the Rx etc.) next.

BEB