Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build

Ady Hayward

5 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

@Chris Walby- yes Chris mine will be I/C with twin SC 52s that I bought a couple of years ago with the intention of putting them in the BF110.

The good old magnetic building board has come out again, complete with the larger magnets (I had forgotten I had them!) and the sides have been joined and doublers added.

IMG_6008.thumb.JPG.ed2f2e2c3743b9dfde887fae754221fc.JPG

IMG_6009.thumb.JPG.d236f63bf2f422e8e70ad20f5344a7ae.JPG

I'm working most of this week so progress will be bits and pieces as I grab time in the evening (and if work is quiet shhh, don't tell anyone)

Very "Attractive" Ron . Who doesn't like a permanent magnet ? You always know where you left it ......

OK seems like there’s a N-S divide so back on track

Formers stuck to the 2 piece crutch, combination of squares and magnets to make sure everything is straight. 

07D4877B-31DF-4B3A-8856-9AFDA5258A1F.thumb.jpeg.e544bbc1d90746a2108cf4c149be0abe.jpeg

Just to show that I use other holding devices here are some pins put to good use on the stringers 

940634B3-BE4D-4274-BB10-D369CF5C3311.thumb.jpeg.22bef50133c9cbcf50c03a08b126cd84.jpeg

And good use of tape to stick the bits together for the fin and rudder, lots of carving and sanding to come later!

2E428C03-F517-4268-BC34-717EE260E865.thumb.jpeg.e03edba9fc9e89f9c12d23026968af81.jpeg

And then it was clamping time, crutches to fuselage sides 

C7ED7244-B92B-4C1E-8045-74DBDA5F5AA1.thumb.jpeg.ad90487ee0bd51b170a78c55db31864f.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Ron, I have been using Gorilla off white glue for a while now and thought it OK . I have an old Kyosho Spitfire with fixed U/C one of the blocks on top to anchor the leg came off. I cut a hole in the top of the wing and cleaned it up then stuck it back with Gorilla PVA, I clamped it up and left it over night second landing it came off, only the glue had separated. I re glued it using original Gorilla brown glue and it has been OK since.

At the rate you are going the Ju88 will be in primer by next week end.

Ron, Following with interest and have a minor request, shock horror. Could you if possible clearly identify where you change things from the standard build for a couple of reasons, firstly it should prevent the elecy crew changing something they shouldn't and secondly help are dark siders (IC) pick up on the mods needed for a couple of oil spitters! (really tempted but no Lasers of the correct size available) + not had much success scaling things up ?

PS - IMHO might have been better starting a new thread rather than newbies having to wade through 16 pages to get to your build, oorr that sounds like a grumpy old git talking...might need therapy and just have to put mine on the building board list ! 

8 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Hi Ron, I have been using Gorilla off white glue for a while now and thought it OK . I have an old Kyosho Spitfire with fixed U/C one of the blocks on top to anchor the leg came off. I cut a hole in the top of the wing and cleaned it up then stuck it back with Gorilla PVA, I clamped it up and left it over night second landing it came off, only the glue had separated. I re glued it using original Gorilla brown glue and it has been OK since.

At the rate you are going the Ju88 will be in primer by next week end.

Interesting Eric, I do think that the brown is a stronger glue but will have to watch the white on stressed parts in future.

Chris, I would think the only changes would be in the nacelles and the leccy flyers would read through the previous pages for their build.

I would think hard about going IC as the cowls are only just over 4" diameter, a lot of engine sticking out (good for cooling) but unsightly plus having to move the bulkhead back quite a way and shoehorn another servo in for the throttle. I am happy to sacrifice a few mins. duration for the ease and reliability of the electric set up. I do prefer IC but not for multi engine set ups.

33 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Ron, Following with interest and have a minor request, shock horror. Could you if possible clearly identify where you change things from the standard build for a couple of reasons, firstly it should prevent the elecy crew changing something they shouldn't and secondly help are dark siders (IC) pick up on the mods needed for a couple of oil spitters! (really tempted but no Lasers of the correct size available) + not had much success scaling things up ?

PS - IMHO might have been better starting a new thread rather than newbies having to wade through 16 pages to get to your build, oorr that sounds like a grumpy old git talking...might need therapy and just have to put mine on the building board list ! 

Thanks Chris, you are probably correct, on both counts. As I said in my original post, I was planning on only showing where my build is different from what has already been posted and in particular bits to do with the I/C powered version. The only reason I’ve shown the early stages is because of my use of the magnetic board but maybe a new thread is the right way to go?

4 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Chris, I would think the only changes would be in the nacelles and the leccy flyers would read through the previous pages for their build.

I would think hard about going IC as the cowls are only just over 4" diameter, a lot of engine sticking out (good for cooling) but unsightly plus having to move the bulkhead back quite a way and shoehorn another servo in for the throttle. I am happy to sacrifice a few mins. duration for the ease and reliability of the electric set up. I do prefer IC but not for multi engine set ups.

You are correct Eric, the majority of changes are in and around the nacelles not least of which is the additional strengthening.

Is this a suitable I/C candidate? Well I believe that it is, sure the pots are going to stick out of the sides of the nacelles somewhat and there will also be the silencers too but it’s surprising what the eye doesn’t see not only in the air but also on the ground. But for me the main reasons are, because of the sound and because I can.

On the sound front, as you know my BF110 has got Richard’s sound module in it and it is absolutely fine, without it the BF is just too quiet (see my maiden flight video) but it still is missing that unique (non scale) twin 4 stroke sound that I hanker after.

Ron, I think it's what the eye wants to see, I bought the Kyosho Spitfire off someone who was giving up flying it had spent most of it's life in a loft and had never been flown. It was the early one and did not have provision for retracts. I did think of fitting them but it meant cutting through the main spar. I find you only see the silencer when in plan view and the wheels are not noticeable all the time, its great fun on an OS 46fx. One of the flyers at the field said it does not look scale with the wheels hanging down, I said it does when its landing. Many years ago before reliable? retracts I built a Pilot kit Fw190 and painted the undercarriage wire, wheels and tyres a very light grey. it looked awful on the ground but in the air against cloud the wheels were barely noticeable. I too love the twin 4 stroke sound but not when one of them goes quiet.   

32 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Ron, I think it's what the eye wants to see, 

It really is strange, I often point out things that are obvious to me on my models yet other observers haven't spotted! I think that a sticky out cylinder and silencer will be seen but then ignored. I should also say that the cylinders won't be vertical so they will be somewhat hidden but we shall see, or not, as the case may be!

32 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

I too love the twin 4 stroke sound but not when one of them goes quiet.   

Which is another reason for choosing the JU as an 'ideal' I/C fit, with that huge tail it should be able to fly on 1 engine. I found that out with my Tigercat (vid on here somewhere) as on its 'maiden' flight one of the Laser 160vs stopped (ran out of fuel - my fault) but I was somehow able to keep it in the air for an emergency belly landing (no damage). I put that down to the fact that the TC has a big fin and rudder so controlling its progress with a combination of throttle and rudder seemed to work. I should add that that was also my first twin I/C 'plane so a baptism of fire, or lack of it! My only disappointment about the I/C thing is that the model really is too small for a pair of Lasers, which are always going to be my engine of choice if at all possible.

Now if the whole I/C thing goes to rats then all is not lost as I can always convert it to leccy, after all, the cowls are just bits of drain pipes! (thanks Richard).

Edited by Ron Gray

I totally agree with the IC 4 stroke twin bit although for me a pair slightly out of sync is the best for me! I went the Dual Ace (cheaper airframe) before committing the engines into the SG Mosquito. I had not found the Peter Miller Grumpy Tiger Cub at that time or I would have gone electric and practiced "one out" with that which I will be doing anyway. 

I can see where Richard is going with the twins, electric, cost, ease  of flying and build time and it will hopefully bring more flyers into the fold of twins. There will of course be those that will/can go IC and build off plans only, but I don't think that's the point. I built the Ta 154, one other person has an electric version and I very much doubt anyone else will follow me with another.

Whilst various bits were drying I started to look at the work needed to accommodate the SC 52s. The first is to move the firewall back, the shot below shows where it will have to sit to keep the nose in the same position 

2FAD45BB-4320-4E84-9442-C7A5013F3B1A.thumb.jpeg.01e470cfee5a57293b7701c9f77510a1.jpeg

Transferred to the nacelle sides you can see the first problem

5CBF9B81-0EA3-4FC4-9953-82EDE308E369.thumb.jpeg.527fa8a2ec2127e08f2e475eae43f7cc.jpeg

The firewall is designed to lock into the side pieces but with the lightening holes this won’t be possible when the firewall is re-located.

EC143D2F-EAE6-4089-A881-48415BC2C282.thumb.jpeg.23afa0ed9bc21b4c2a07ab73be77da2a.jpeg

Whilst I know that the firewalls (designed for leccy) will be fine I’ve decided to make new ones from 6mm ply (the circle in the middle was drawn before I realised that there was a saw cut! - I hate waste)

03EAA4A8-3278-45D7-9314-7F73CDCA7B25.thumb.jpeg.e234922d9562516e30a431fff046dbe9.jpeg

Edited by Ron Gray