Kit builders, what would you like???

Advert

After 25 years of shovelling the proverbial up hill , I have got to the point with my "creations" (especially the laser cut Spitfire) that I feel , you simply cant make a better kit . It has evolved over ten years and with the latest lasers is about as good as a wooden kit is going to get ,

If we had all been given such a kit 25 years ago , we would have been blown away ,

So to make something out of Depron instead of beautiful quality balsa wood is not within my capacity ,

If I were 30 years younger , maybe I could accept the change ,

The bottom line is , all my contemporaries ,bar two have quit and that speaks volumes.

If I want to make beautiful wooden kits , I am better off changing the kit to fit the bigger gene pool rather than trying to make people climb into our diminishing one .

People think they have less time now and less skill . On that basis I will create something for the people who cant build , but can put lego together , But it won't be an aircraft .

Ron's point above is quite heart warming , but while he was re discovering his passion for traditional modelling most of the companies like mine had starved to death ,

Thats not a jibe at Ron , but more the case that it is a familiar tale .

What I do find weird about the modern Flyer(non builder ) type "modelller" , is their willingness to fly in any weather , If the wind is howling or its snowing they still go and stand in it rather than retire to a nice warm workshop with a coffee and radio on hand ,

Blimey , they must really hate building to go to such extremes , Then they say " I dont get time to build " .

In my world , standing in a field in the snow or a gale is about as wasteful a time as I can imagine .

Still that just me . angel

Belligerent of Chelmsford.

@Joakim, it really is part of the reply to the OP's question but in answering it there are many associated issues that have also to be taken into consideration.

I have already stated my lust for the LA7 and / or the JU88 and or the 110 but equally if Richard had a non warbird scale 'plane of a Reno racer (from any era) then I would fill my boots with that too. I like flying in all weathers, I see it as a challenge especially cross wind landings, and I like flying scale-like. With a Reno racer my thirst for speed would also be satisfied thus killing 2 birds with 1 stone (if I only wanted speed then a Weston UK demon machine powered by their 52v2 would be enough, but I like scale).

As I said in my previous post, most of my club members fly sports types, the Reno racer would cover both sports and scale.

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 10/08/2017 09:10:40:

Both Colin and Matty are correct in their assumptions . But we at the mighty Warbirds have witnessed another aspect .

Cloud models produce a 48" DH mossie which is easy to build and flies really well . The rear decking is convex as you can imagine , so my good friend Phillip made the rear deck in ABS which was a perfect fix . Or was it ?

When he showed me the prototype (uncovered ) I was very enthusiastic about a mossie but wrinkled my nose at the plastic deck .

There is no logic to this of course, but the few times I have added say pink foam instead of balsa or abs instead of sheet balsa , the traditionalists have been less than happy ,

Perhaps the reason we alll like traditional kits , is because we all lie in the past . That is probably our undoing but I have to admit I'm happy here in retro land .

Doesnt solve the problem though does it?

Richard

I have to take issue with you Richard about foam. Foam has used as wing cores, foam decks, glider wings(as in the phoenix 100(blue foam) since I started building models in the 70's. Foam and obechi vaneer must now be regarded as traditional materials.

Graham

Ah well Graham , I see your Issue .

And I raise a new issue teeth 2

When that God like creature Mick Reeves ( may the lord bless him for bringing us the Gangster ), introduced foam wings in the 70s he was regarded as a heretic . "What was this foam rubbish ?"people shouted in the street .

Sir Mick could not go out for a fortnight , and when he did he was disguised as a Rabbi . Terrible business .

So maybe Matt's vile and heathen mention of Depron is not so outrageous.

Although I, and my loyal followers will form an inquisition to rout out this foam induced fettish .

On reflection , maybe that was the point you were making ?dont know

Posted by Ron Gray on 10/08/2017 17:27:57:

And if said Sea Fury were capable of being powered by a v twin then I'd place another order with you Jon! I can imagine the sound now, on over-run after a fast (ish) beat up the runway. Oh yes!

Something around 72 inch would take a 160 with ease. and as the 160 revs like mad if you ask it to that would sure work for a reno jobby

It was Summer today and about a dozen of us were playing with our toys in the sunshine up at the flying field. The guy next to me pointed out that we were the only ones flying models we'd made ourselves. He had a Flair Eindecker he's recently converted from 4 stroke glow to electric. I had my newly completed Fugly (only just counts as it is a very quick build) and my electrically powered DB Tiger Moth. We both had foamies too.

Another point is that all the aircraft were electrics. The only glow engine was a small RC car which made an unholy row as screamed round the tarmac when no-one was flying

Geoff

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 10/08/2017 13:40:04:

...What I do find weird about the modern Flyer (non builder ) type "modelller", is their willingness to fly in any weather , If the wind is howling or its snowing they still go and stand in it rather than retire to a nice warm workshop with a coffee and radio on hand ,

Blimey , they must really hate building to go to such extremes , Then they say " I dont get time to build " .

In my world , standing in a field in the snow or a gale is about as wasteful a time as I can imagine .

Still that just me . angel

Belligerent of Chelmsford.

Nothing puzzling in that really. If you are time poor as most of us are, then what free time you do have tends to be in a "fixed" slot, woven in around work and family commitments. That means if you want to fly waiting for ideal conditions is not really an option, especially given how infrequently that happens in this country!

You therefore have to fly in lots of different types of weather, and IMO that is a good thing - it makes for a more rounded and accomplished pilot in the long run. If anything this also pushes people more towards ARTF and PNP foamies, as they do not want to risk more complex kit and plan builds in the less optimal conditions in which they often fly. In the end though this comes back to the fundamental point that the vast majority of modellers today prefer flying to building, and to change that is an extremely challenging uphill task.

PS - As someone who grew up learning on the slope I love it when it's windy - that's when you get the best lift and most exciting flying!

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 11/08/2017 00:27:37:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/08/2017 21:14:40:

Another point is that all the aircraft were electrics.

Geoff

Stop it! you will give me nightmares :'(

Never mind, Jon. I shocked a few people when I mentioned I'd bought a Laser 80 to fit in my Warbird's Hurricane but most appreciated my desire to experience a Laser before it was too late

One topic was one I've mentioned before was the difficulty of acquiring glow fuel now that model shops are so thin on the ground. Although with the paranoia about Lithium battery instability posting batteries may get more difficult than it is. So powered model energy supplies may be harder to get all round.

I just hope kit/scratch building sees a resurgence. After all, even Hobby King are selling kits now. I got a lot of satisfaction from test flying my Fugly, interesting (in the Chinese sense) that it was initially. Sorting out the problem is part of what we do. Flying my Moth in as a scale a manner as I could was a delight.

Geoff

" the difficulty of acquiring glow fuel now that model shops are so thin on the ground. "

Can we please put this myth to bed? Off the top of my head, Model Shop Leeds, Elite Models, Fastlad, Weston all ship fuel for reasonable postage.

Now that lipos are courier only, they are as expensive to post as glow fuel...