Anyone remember the Tauri?

Trevor Crook

When I first joined a club around 1969 I started learning on rudder only "galloping ghost". Our club secretary was Ernie Strutt, and he built and flew a Tauri, which he generously let me have a go with (at a safe height!). Hence it was the first "multi" I flew. We still go flying together - I've been married to Ernie's daughter for over 40 years - and he still loves building. Hence, a few months ago I aquired a Tauri plan (actually a Super Tauri) and he built it for me:

tauri 001.jpg

tauri 002.jpg

tauri 003.jpg

All is not as it seems - I am a 100% electric flier these days, but I felt it needed an "engine", so I bought a plastic one from Hobbyking! Here's the motive power:

tauri 004.jpg

She flies beautifully on a 3S 400W setup - better than the original on a Merco .29. Causes a bit of amusement in the club, too.

In writing this, I've realised I haven't given Ernie a go yet. Must put that right next time out, I owe him...

Advert

Looks lovely. A club mate has a Hobby King model with the same 'engine' but it's missing either the throttle push rod or the fuel pipe which yours has.

Just wondered how you've extended the motor shaft to extend through the crank-case of the 'engine'. Are there extra bearings in there?

Geoff

IIRC, when the plan was originally published in RCM&E, the photo-shoot was conducted at an airfield (Bovingdon?) where they happened to be shooting "633 Squadron" at the time. Cliff Robertson, the star of the film, came over to chat to the RC flyers, and apparently seemed quite knowledgeable on the subject of models and RC.

I think the encounter was reported in RCM&E at the time. (Showing my age here!)

--

Pete

IIRC the Tauri was the first RC model I saw fly, owned by Rob Davies (he of the Mustang Bale out at Duxford), and I think that had an Enya 19 in it. It was close to the same blue with orange wings and tailplane. The only other thing I remember was the large servos with all individual components inside stuffed in at all angles!

The Tauri was published in Aeromodeller in April 1964 and was updated and featured as the Super Tauri in RCM&E in March 1982. ​I was just preparing some old mags for recycling this afternoon and when I saw the Tauri on the cover I remembered this post. I can scan the article for you if you wish.

Fun Flyer when you say recycling mags I hope you mean to send all really old modelling mags to a proper home!

The 1982 RCME says there are some modiifications to the plan like solid balsa tail and simplified fuselage construction which make it a Super Tauri which is still available from MyHobbyStores

The original kit plan can be downloaded free here

Taurus is a bigger tapered wing design by the same designer.  Plan is here

Edited By kc on 11/08/2016 18:05:14

Posted by kc on 11/08/2016 18:00:30:

Fun Flyer when you say recycling mags I hope you mean to send all really old modelling mags to a proper home!

The 1982 RCME says there are some modiifications to the plan like solid balsa tail and simplified fuselage construction which make it a Super Tauri which is still available from MyHobbyStores

The original kit plan can be downloaded free here

Taurus is a bigger tapered wing design by the same designer. Plan is here

Edited By kc on 11/08/2016 18:05:14

They've had a good home for nearly forty years! You're welcome to them all if you pay the shipping.

But we are trying to save flying sites by flying electric!

But what can be done to replicate the smell of castor for the diehards! Someone might make their fortune by selling an aerosol of 'glow smell' which you spray around the pits area and onto your clothes to replicate the i.c flying experience when flying electric.

I'm on my number 5 super tauri .

It's built from the aeromodeller plan and like many others here , it was my first R.C.plane .Why ? I just liked the look of it .

I maidened No. 5 last week .

I started off with the three channel version with a 25 up the front end .It now has a 46 up the front with separate aileron servos in each wing .I'm getting old in the tooth now so usually fly it on 50% rates and 50% expo until I've got used to it at the start of a new season of flying .

Currently it is my windy weather model and has been for a number of years now .

Best of luck and happy flying .

Geoff and Ken, regarding the dummy motor - it's sold as a spare for the Durafly "Das Ugly Stick" and has a shaft with a bearing at the front and a coupling at the back. The motor was chosen to be as similar as possible to the Durafly original - that wasn't in stock. I had to get one wth the correct diameter shaft and similar kv as I didn't want to put too much power through the plastic engine, which incidentally had to come from the global warehouse. Although I've put air scoops under the nose the motor does get quite hot, fortunately the all-important esc doesn't.

Peter, I do sometimes go "EEEEYOWW" as it flies by, but no sound system. Flying here in the crowded south-east, with thousands more houses going up on our green fields, we certainly can't afford noise complaints. I have been tempted to apply some castor oil "weathering" behind the exhaust though!

My first multi channel was a Tauri with a Merco 29 and using a 10 channel reed set. Managed to fly it on the local golf course without any help in '67, got it down with minor damage to u/c so it must have been pretty stable. Struggled with reeds though, fortunately my father bought me a Digi 5 and I never looked back, excellent trainer for those days

Posted by Trevor Crook on 11/08/2016 20:18:22:. I have been tempted to apply some castor oil "weathering" behind the exhaust though!

Yes, it looks really quite convincing, if a little too clean, and while you have the fuel line and the throttle link, which is great to see, you don't have the pressure line, was this deliberate, as it's the first thing my eye was drawn to (damn you eye.........)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes! I remember it well. The "Super Tauri" was my second aircraft and if I recall correctly it was powered by an OS 40FP glow which was a lovely little engine. In fact latterly I converted it to having flaps too. Didn't need them but I fitted them just because I could and I wanted to see the effect. Happy days!