Low power output on 4-max (purple power) 595KV

Jason Hyland

Hi all,

I'm building an AcroWot with this setup from 4 max

It's essentially a 595KV motor running on a 4s with a 14x7 APC e-prop. My last test was to see the power output via the watt meter. With a fresh charge I was getting just over 600W, roughly 50-60% of what I was expecting.

I'm not sure if I've done something stupid, but I'm confused. I can't seem to calibrate the throttle range on the ESC as it doesn't seem to need it - first time I've come across that, but I wondered if that was the problem?

Any suggestions please!?

Regards, Jason

Advert

Posted by FlyinBrian on 13/08/2016 14:46:27:

The motor specs say 5s to 8s batteries, perhaps a 4 cell pack just isn't enough.

Hi, thanks for replying.

It's a bit weird, the specs do indeed say that, but they also say this for the motor

Prop 14x7 - 4S LiPo
13x6.5 - 5S LiPo

Also, the "kit" was supplied with a 3300 4S

Part Number Description Price Qty
Acro Wot EP/GP (Balsa)
(airframe only)
Acro Wot EP/GP
(Balsa) (airframe only)
(RRP £139.99)
£125.99
Acro Wot EP/GP (Balsa)
(electric conversion
kit A-CF007/ELP)
Acro Wot EP/GP (Balsa)
(electric conversion kit)
(
RRP £19.99)
£18.99
Acro Wot EP/GP (Balsa)
Power Set
Motor PO-5055-595
ESC PP-TESC60AU
Prop APCE 14x7
(RRP £111.30)
£99.99
LiPo Battery 4 cell (14.8V) 40C rated,
3.300mAh LiPo Battery
£43.99
Servos 4x Servo XL-38HMB £41.96

I have emailed George at 4-max, so hopefully he can put me right.

Edited By Jason Hyland on 13/08/2016 14:55:01

I'm with iqon here.

100w per lb would be very anemic for an Acrowaot. I fly a Spacewalker which weighs in at just under 5.76 lbs. On 4S it gives 700W at 45A which = 121W per lb. This is just about adequate for general flying but not sufficient for aerobatics.

I would consider 150W per lb a minimum to do justice to, and to make the most of, a model such as the Acrowot.

Steve.

Good grief how times have changed. It wasn't long ago we only dreamed of 100w/lb. Then it became a really good rule of thumb. That was using brushed motors and really heavy batteries where the drive train was at best 60℅ efficient.
Today we have lighter systems and much higher efficiency. 100w/lb is plenty. 200w/lb is unlimited vertical and 3d territory.
I think you'll be fine on that setup, although I think I'd be looking for more battery capacity for longer flights.

We cannot rewrite the "needs" chart to suit what we have. 100 watts per pound has worked fine up until now, so beware newbies reading that 200 watts per lb is the target.

Also, 6.2 lb seems quite heavy for such a small model/missile

I think a good target for the model would be 4 - 4.5 lb

And in that case, Georges/4 max set up would work fine

Just run through a similar kv motor and that prop on a 4s battery on ECalc and it says 600 watts, so with that combo there's nothing wrong with your system, also says around 3 kg (6.6lbs) static thrust, so you've got 1:1 static thrust, probably not good for pulling out of a prop hang but it won't be lacking for normal flying.

Thanks for the replies, all useful. A couple of things spring to mind.

First 6.2 llbs is the weight of the assembled ARTF, plus battery, esc, motor, rx and servos. There is nothing special about these, so I can't see how a comparable mk2 kit would come in much less ? I'm not sure exactly what I could do to lighten ? Any suggestions where to look - perhaps the motor is quite heavy (303g) ?

I guess until I fly her, I can't really tell if 100w/llbs is enough. Doesn't feel it from what I've read, but I will defer to those with the experience I'm worried what I'll have in the "tank" towards the end of the flight - at about 3.8v/cell I got about 450watts !

I will weigh her again - I did have one set of scales tell me it weighed almost 20llbs - needless to sat those aren't being used any more!

Regards, Jason

I wonder whether this sudden reduction in the effectiveness of Watts is due to the size/weight of what is perceived as a normal electric model? I too remember when 100 W/lb was regarded as rather spirited and "expert" territory - and it wasn't all that long ago! However, models were typically in the 40 inch range and constructed with great regard for lightness. As we probably all know, as size goes up, so does acceptable wing loading and power required increases consequentially.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 13/08/2016 20:18:58:

Just run through a similar kv motor and that prop on a 4s battery on ECalc and it says 600 watts, so with that combo there's nothing wrong with your system, also says around 3 kg (6.6lbs) static thrust, so you've got 1:1 static thrust, probably not good for pulling out of a prop hang but it won't be lacking for normal flying.

Thanks Frank, I did find a chart which showed a 4s on a 550 kv giving almost 3kg thrust so I figured it would be enough. Didn't know about ecalc, one to investigate!

Posted by Jason Hyland on 13/08/2016 20:27:06:

Thanks for the replies, all useful. A couple of things spring to mind.

First 6.2 llbs is the weight of the assembled ARTF, plus battery, esc, motor, rx and servos. There is nothing special about these, so I can't see how a comparable mk2 kit would come in much less ? I'm not sure exactly what I could do to lighten ? Any suggestions where to look - perhaps the motor is quite heavy (303g) ?

I guess until I fly her, I can't really tell if 100w/llbs is enough. Doesn't feel it from what I've read, but I will defer to those with the experience I'm worried what I'll have in the "tank" towards the end of the flight - at about 3.8v/cell I got about 450watts !

I will weigh her again - I did have one set of scales tell me it weighed almost 20llbs - needless to sat those aren't being used any more!

Regards, Jason

I've bought a set of hand-held digital scales sold to weigh luggage - presumably for flying (in a full-size aeroplane of course, not the luggage on its own ). I find it invaluable for weighing medium sized models with sling round the wing. You can even off-set the weight of the sling and it can be set for either metric or imperial units. They were pretty cheap and remove the problem of trying to balance the model on the scales in such a way as to allow the read-out to be visible.

100 watts/lb is perfectly acceptable for reasonable aerobatic performance. If you want to prop hang then you will need more. It'll certainly fly well enough for you to assess the performance and take appropriate steps. My one reservation is the battery capacity. As Pat says, duration will be limited.

I anticipate my Ballerina to weigh about 4.5/5 lbs (just over 2kg) and the current set up on 4S draws 30 amps on a 12x6 prop ie roughly 450 watts. As the motor is rated at 50 amps and the esc 60 amps I have plenty of headroom to get more power with a bigger prop but I'll probably test fly it with the 12x6. It's approaching test flight time so I'll soon know.

Geoff

.Jason the 600 watts you are getting sounds reasonable time me for. 4s although I have not closely looked at the spec of the motor. You cannot get a quart out of a pint pot. you suggest you are expecting 1000 to 1200 watts. If you were to prop it to achieve that you would be looking to draw Iro of 80 Amps The esc would not like that nor would the duration of the flight be that long. All of the parameters of the motor must be within limits not just max power. The answer lies in speaking to the motor supplier and taking their recommendation re battery prop etc. You may even need to go to 5s I am sure the acrowot would fly on the set up you have try it and decide later if you need more power

there will always be those that tell you that you need 1200 watts to fly an aw they are probably the electric version of those who insist they need a 90 or 120 glow

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I thought I'd report back after a few weeks flying the AcroWot.

This setup works like a charm. I regulalry get 7-8 minutes of flight that includes it's fair share of full throttle.

It required a little lead on the tail to get the balance right but other than that I feel I have pleny of power, certainly for my standard of flight ! I can happily receommend the 4-max suggested setup and I'd also like to thank George over a 4-max.co.uk for all the help and patience he showed during my build.

Thanks everyone for your help !

Jason