Imperial to Metric Conversion

I went to the local model shop in Switzerland today with the Chapter One wood list. No problem with getting 3mm balsa sheet for 1/8th inch and 1.5mm for 1/16. but what about 3/16th? I can only get 4mm or 5mm not 4.5, I suppose 4mm will be fine for the tailplane and rudder. But the plan calls for 3/8th square leading edge which calculates to 9.5mm. I can only get 8mm square or 12mm. Does anybody think it it would be a problem if I slim down the front of the wing rib template by a millimetre or should I just accept that I will have to get the 12mm square and sand a lot more off?

Having looked up the Chapter One plan I see the LE construction - a 3/8 sq stuck on the front of the ribs and then shaped. An alternative and probably better way is the 'false LE' idea used by Philip Kent & lots of other designs.

Basically a 3mm or 1/8 sheet is first stuck to the ribs then the 1/16 top sheeting overlaps this. Later on another layer or two of 3mm / 1/8 is added and shaped. These can be a bit narrower to save sanding or planing saves money and makes a stronger job.  It avoids the use of imperial sizes too in this instance. Strips like this can be cut with just a scalpel and straight edge.

My picture shows a typical false LE from another thicker wing, but the same principle. Ask again if this is not clear.

Edited By kc on 27/08/2016 18:35:43

kc, OK it will be 5mm for the tail end, and I like that idea for the 'false LE', I will definately incorporate that into the build.

Martin, I must admit that I did not check the size, I was just going by the descriptions next to each rack, but I have just checked the sheets I bought, they are definately 1m long and 100mm wide, not 4inches.

The problem with ordering from the UK is the delivery charges, I would like to have ordered the CNC wood pack for Chapter One, GBP 55.25 seemed like a good price, but the delivery charge was another 74.99

• 3 weeks later...

Living in Switzerland myself, I can only confirm the outrageous shipping charges. I was interested in some Tony Nijhuis woodpacks, but interest quickly waned upon discovering the shipping charges were much higher than the cost of the wood every time! The PSS Skyhawk in comparison was quite reasonable - about £30 for kit costs of £55.

As for the leading edge, you should be able to get a 10mm plank or even 10x10mm strips quite easily, even Coop Bau&Hobby carries both.

Lorenz

Hi David, Wood sizes are not too difficult, especially with a decent wood stripper.

But beware, beware Thread sizes.

Its not always easy to know if you are dealing with metric or imperial. I strongly recommend that you bin all imperial stuff, and invest in a whole bundle of everything metric

ernie

• 7 years later...

I've contemplated using a balsa stripper to save money, but she kept getting splinters when she undressed. But seriously, can someone recommend one because many folks have told me some are not up to the job? But wait, a new topic, or perhaps I should go search for an old topic. Sorry to interject. 

I tried the blade type but the problem is that as soon as the cut goes wrong as it quite often does due to the blade wandering in the grain, you can't use that edge as a reference any longer. I have used a scroll saw but now I use a band saw or proxxon mini table saw. These are expensive options but so is balsa these days.

The SLEC stripper with a long aluminium channel works well.   For thicker balsa a shallow cut followed by deeper cuts is the best way.   Cutting spars might be best done with a circular saw as you probably need hard balsa.  

• Like 1