why do people feel compelled to build such large models?

Phil 9

Advert

Ultymate, I think this is a discussion about why some people are drawn to very large models whilst others are content with the ones you can chuck in the back of the car in one piece. Large models do have more presence perhaps and can even fly better, although that is not always the case. Personally I like to build from a plan and I simply do not have the time to take on a very large project as it will probably not get finished. From my experience, small models tend to 'bounce' and if they don't then repairs tend to be quick even if that means building a new wing. I do have a yen to fly something a bit bigger some day and a bit 'more scale' rather than the sport jobs I usually fly. To this end I have purchased a couple of RTFs on my travels in the hope that this might be a quick route. One of these models is a World Models 1/4 scale PA25 Piper Pawnee. I even have the choice of two engines for it but unfortunately it hasn't flown yet. Assembly doesn't look too difficult but a lack of time and the extra complication of duel power supplies/Rx not to mention the hassle of the logistics to transport it, has meant that it remains resolutely in its box. Meanwhile I am happy enough to continue to chuck small models in the back of my car to get my flying fix. As they say, size is not everything!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/09/2016 19:29:55

I can see the advantage in going a bit bigger as I get older, although perhaps not above the 22/30cc mark. Very large scale models done well are fantastic for shows when they give died in the wool aerophiles like me the chance to see fascinating aeroplanes that don't fly any more or no longer exist.

Really big stuff like the Gripen needs to be done to exacting standards though, stresses worked out and structure designed with proper safety factors. Although shows are generally well-organised and displays conducted parallel with the flight-line, some kinds of structural failure can cause the plane to veer sharply off-track, so there is a potential risk regardless.

Hats off to those who commit themselves to producing these amazing large models, they have my respect. Both for their skill and dedication.

There definitely appears to be a strong case of one upmanship in Europe and, particularly, Germany where they have been in a war over the last 5 yrs seeing who can make the biggest RC jet out of wood - like this 1:1 scale BD-5 with two turbines.

bd5.jpg

And the glider boys are not far behind.

large eta glider.jpg

And some have "issues" laugh

overcompensatin.jpg

Posted by Martian on 24/09/2016 20:06:27:

Myopia therefore large model easier to see

That may be true but I can't help wondering if a lot of people fly so that the model is the 'right' size to see it. That means smaller models close in and big models further away

I'm building a quarter scale model myself right now but as the full size is only 24' ws mine is still quite manageable at 72".

Geoff

As often as not they are scale models and people build a large model for the same reason as building a small one, for e reflection of the real thing.

I can't see the point in peanut size models but some people can abd that's fair enough. Same as everything, provided there's due regard to safety there's no reason why anyone should be criticised for building whatever size they want. There's room for for everyone.

Each to their own! If you choose to build and fly a large or giant model then as long as it's done correctly and to the regs, then why not?

If people want to build a dedicated workshop, use a dedicated vehicle or only fly park flyers then why not. Personally, I'd never fly peanut scale models because they don't interest me. Equally I'd never own a motorbike because they don't take my fancy.

I don't think ego comes into it in most cases although for sure it exists but most seem to do it because they enjoy the challenge and quite simply they can. Why are some people compelled to climb Everest or swim the channel or anything else for that matter. I would hate to see us all like sheep doing the same thing, how boring. My current models range from less than 1m span to a 4m span glider and 25lb scale petrol model and I enjoy them all for different reasons, as it should be.

Motorbikes and aeroplanes have always been parallel tracks in my lifel. Both fascinate me technically and practically. Riding a bike is a form of two dimensional flying I suppose, driving a car is a practical way of getting places but it's something you sit in and direct. Bikes and planes are an extension of your physical and mental self, totally involving.

It's not because I get a kick out of risk, not at all, but things so completely absorbing put that into perspective as something you accept. That is why I don't think we should condemn anyone for building big models, I love to see them fly. It's just that there has to be a responsibility for ensuring structural reliability as well as flying capability. The only way you can ensure that when you get to sizes approaching the original is to have some form of control regime that is more than just voluntary. Looking at the Gripen incident does make you think it unlikely that a proper inspection of design and construction would have approved it.

Big models flown well, love them. 60" Club flyer flown well, love it.

I do feel there should be a small change in the large model regulations. We all know that most inspections are done over a certain build weight, so why not volume as well?. A large model built very light could be more dangerous as it could be more susceptible to break up, even though it would be under inspection weight limits.

Posted by cymaz on 25/09/2016 07:23:50:

Big models flown well, love them. 60" Club flyer flown well, love it.

I do feel there should be a small change in the large model regulations. We all know that most inspections are done over a certain build weight, so why not volume as well?. A large model built very light could be more dangerous as it could be more susceptible to break up, even though it would be under inspection weight limits.

the problem with that is no matter where you draw the line people will build up to that line in order to avoid the inspection and regulations

I don't know how many remember this but a year or so ago a 6 foot span Pitts Special, flown by a top German pilot went into the crowd at a show in Hungary.

Killed two, injured 4 more.

The day a really big model goes into a crowd in this country the doo doo is going to hit the fan in a big way. IT will make the drone kerfuffle look like a squabble in a kindergarten.

As the "inspiration" for this thread, here's my view.

I was thinking my are people compelled to big the monster models, half scale - that sort of thing.

The guy who has 100" Lancasters - well I do not consider those to be large.

Personally, when a model is weighing over 100 Kgs and costing tens of thousands of pounds, then that is a step too far. I'd rather learn to fly and buy my own aircraft!

But hey - each to their own - but it certainly isn't for me.

There is the 'structural scale factor' to take into account as well.

At small sizes it is practical to build in enormous reserves of structural strength so the chances of anything getting aerodynamically overloaded are small, apart of course from a crash!

The bigger things become the harder it gets to achieve the same strength to weight ratio.

At the moment the fact no human is carried allows a more relaxed approach to design criteria but should this still be the case where the plane is used in a public display.

So this raises the question at what scale and type of a full size prototype should true structural stress analysis & testing be undertaken?

large models in my opinion are ok you know each to their own so to speak 5that is untill i went to a giant model show and tried to buy some thing for a .61 merco the guy look at me as if i had just crawled out of a sewer or some thing very rude as well as for the pilots i think it,s a case of look at me arnt i clever and you don,t have one swo sit on the side and watch mem bla,bla,blaq.to be honest i have met with a lot of money distingtions it seems to me the deeper you,r pockets more peaple crouwd round you and want to be you.r new best mate any way i am babling on too much now all model flyers what ever they fly are exebitionists it all comes down to that in the end ,

Edited By Bernard Koussoulos on 25/09/2016 14:10:25

Not too sure what the OP wanted from this discussion, I have not read all the way though the thread but find myself more than disappointed by some of the posts that I read. With only about around 40k model aircraft enthusiasts in the UK we are already a minority group and don’t need to further fractionalise our hobby/sport.

After 25 years of building and flying all types of models I too have found myself gravitating to ever larger models. My fleet ranges from heavyweight 90g F3p to 120cc 3D models. I am currently researching and saving for a 170cc 42% model. This is not down to EGO, a fat wallet or any of the other demeaning comments made. Instead it is the continuation of my journey to find the model that suits my personal needs best.

Cost: What does it matter what any hobbyist spends on their hobby. We each have budgets to live by and should not decry those that spend more or less than us. Some lucky folk have huge budgets to buy what they want when they want it. Others spend years building a model to spread the cost, while others buy dozens of models over a year which could fund what they perceive as an expensive model! I will not even touch on modellers who pursue competitive RC flying in its many forms as their commitment in time and money typically reaches a whole new level.

Fun per £ and satisfaction. A great and fairly easy concept, but again marred by our individual preferences and circumstances. , I find that small foamie electrics and 40 sportsters/funflys deliver the best fun or laughs per pound spent. I can have a lot of fun and really do not worry too much if I pile them in. They are a quick fix or instant high, they do not however give me any great feeling of satisfaction. For satisfaction I look to my large scale aerobatic models and the pursuit of a perfect flight. Each modeller gains satisfaction from different aspects of the hobby. Each to their own .

EGO: A most insulting term used here to describe those that want or have something another does not. It is human nature to strive for more or better, I could live in a rented 2 berth touring caravan on a farmers field but choose to live in bricks and mortar on my own little piece of land. Is that EGO or personal preference? Seems like sour grapes from where I am..

Safety and large model crashes: mega models (Over 20kg) are regulated and controlled way more than our average models, both the build and flight performance is witnessed and inspected with further checks required after any change or modification. There are limits on what can be classed as a model aircraft which limit the AUW and size, after that point you could still do it RC but would have to follow full size practice.

In summary, if you are happy floating around with a Bixler, or tearing up the sky with a 120 sized spitfire please continue to do so and most of all have fun. If others want something different, don’t berate or insult them but rather enjoy the diversity available in this hobby.

Err, Simon, the fin came off a 100 kilo model and then it luckily disintegrated. I am happy to enjoy anything, but I am not impressed by that level of competence at a public display. At the same event, a pilot of another fast, big, high energy model continued to fly it when he a a clue as to structural problems, when half a wing fell off. Enjoy please but where does stupidity start.

As the Royal Yaghting Association states regarding training, send an idiot to be trained, and you get back a a trained idiot.

MMMM, Well....... If you need a bigger model to see it well enough to fly it then you should not be flying AT ALL.

I have personally experienced several times over people having "accidents" due to building far too light and weak to keep "within weight regulations", I have no doubt the LMA weeds this out of their sphere of influence effectively, but its the people "avoiding the break point" that potentially are a danger. Who police's builds below LMA level? How about a 10 foot span 50cc 3D model fitted with single Futaba S3003's to large surfaces? Safe??

In principle I tend to avoid those with large "club" built models because they rarely seem to be built that well and the owners far too often show little care about the impact they make, fail to meet noise regs, and their sheer size means they get flown further away creating a bigger noise impact zone. But that's urban flying for you in a crowded locality, it simply does not fit with large models, yet some will not be sensible.