Stashed In The Attic

David Davis

Years ago I bought a very nice Brian Taylor (?) Harvard from an elderly gentleman who lived in Somerset. He said that all enthusiastic aeromodellers were hoarders.

Adrian Norris has put up a post asking for advice on the three kits he has in his attic, it caused me to wonder what I'd got in my attic so I went up there and made a list.

Here it is:

Un-started kits

Fokker D VII, Stampe Monitor, Flying Flea, DB SE5, Supra Fly, ARTF Acrowot, ARTF Foam glider of some sort and a French kit called a Baron. (8)

Complete airframes awaiting engines and radios

DB Auster, North American Harvard, (I have two of these!) DSM Aerostar(4)

Projects or part-complete models

KK Outlaw, Telemaster 66, Peter Russell STOL, , WOT 4, (I have two of these as well!) Majestic Major, Double Sized Tomboy, Roy Scott BE2e, Mick Reeves 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel. (I was given this model on condition that I finished it!) (9)

So that's twenty-one models in the attic.

Serviceable aircraft

SLEC Fun-Fly, WOT 4XL, St Leonard's models Gemini, Stick, Junior 60, Senior Telemaster, WOT 4 Mark 3, WOT 4 Foam-E. (8)

Unserviceable aircraft

Roy Scott BE2e

Under construction

Veron Cardinal

That means I have thirty-one models, plus a wing from a Telemaster 40 and wing and a tailplane from a Super Sixty.

Hoarder? Moi?

Guilty as charged! wink

Edited By David Davis on 23/10/2016 11:45:49

Advert

Quantities as follows;

-7no RC slope soarers.

-1no Free flight glider foam construction

-1 no KK Caprice kit not started.

-4 no. RC Electric power models

-1no Electric power free flight model.

-18 no RC models IC powered.

-3no control line trainers

-1no control line Mercury Team racer

-2no F2E combat models

-1 no team racer kit (Mercury or Veron ?) not started

So I make that a total of 39 models,and to date I am coming second as a model plane hoarder and possibly need medical help?.

The reality is that a number of these planes have been collecting dust for years and have either not been flown or repaired / built. This year i have flown about 5no IC planes, 2no Slope Soarers and I no Electric Plane. I have refurbished my original Junior 60 and E-bay Middle Phase. I have repaired a Ripmax Extreme Lite following a bad cross-wind landing and two Weston Cougars for other club mates. So I now have to select the next plane for building works from the loft.

I consider myself fortunate, that in being single I have kits & wood in the loft, Oily planes in the garage, electric models in the bedrooms and unfinished projects in the living room, as well as in my workshop. All in all a reasonable collection.

I feel sorry for my married compatriots. It's lucky though that women don't do attics. wink

kevinb An English man's home is his hanger.

I'm surprised that kits/models survive in the attic. The one kit that sat in my attic for a long time (Waterhouse & Eley Superfly) ended up with delaminated wings. At the moment, all my stuff is in my shed (getting difficult to move around it without bumping into bits of aircraft!). There are 6 i/c and 4 leccy birds with a futher ic bird in build and one still in its box. Need to finish the build to get the one in the box built! I tend to fly more than I build although building is enjoyable - well, more enjoyable than repairing!

I only have one unfinished kit in the attic - a 1965 Keil Kraft Cessna 170 from their Super Scale series. Everything else are 'relics' from a lifetime of modelling - planes, boats, cars, tanks, trains as well as some serious 'engineering' models I inherited from my dad.

All but two of my 27 operational RC planes (one is in for repair) are all hanging on the wall. Lack of wall space means one has to live on the bench and other 'stands' on the floor on its tail! wink 2

I'm obviously doing this wrong, I've only got one model at the moment, after breaking up my Apprentice for spares after giving it one too many batterings.sad I'm just about to buy another kit to build (yes an actual kit of separate parts) and intend to build all of the bits into this.

Do I put the kit straight into the attic, or should I put it in the spare room for a while first? It's all very confusing, added to which my wife wants to know why I need another 'plane and I don't know what to tell her.

Please help!!!!!laugh

Kim

Posted by Percy Verance on 23/10/2016 19:22:07:

Peter

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the Waterhouse & Ely Superfly. I built one for a chap I was teaching 25 odd years ago, and I wasn't particularly impressed. It had the most fragile glass fibre fuselage I've ever seen on a model. The slightest knock and the surface of the fus would craze and shatter. It was also a bit too heavy to fly nicely too......

Well, that's good to know. My Superfly didn't last its maiden! My instructor was given the job of flying the maiden but my skinflint approach to this airframe meant I used some second had servos. Sadly, the elevator servo gears chose the maiden to strip themselves and the Superfly went in vertically. The fuz certainly crazed and shattered but I would think most others would have done so in the circumstances!

Unbuilt models? Only the one I am working on.

So, one model retired but still serviceable. (The wings are being saved for a very special purpose)

One model probably retired and will be given away if anyone wants it.

10 ready fly. I am sure that I have missed at least one out.

Oh and a ARTF HLG (given to me) which will get finished when I have absolutely nothing else to do.

Posted by Kim Taylor on 23/10/2016 18:21:37:

I'm obviously doing this wrong, I've only got one model at the moment, after breaking up my Apprentice for spares after giving it one too many batterings.sad I'm just about to buy another kit to build (yes an actual kit of separate parts) and intend to build all of the bits into this.

Do I put the kit straight into the attic, or should I put it in the spare room for a while first? It's all very confusing, added to which my wife wants to know why I need another 'plane and I don't know what to tell her.

Please help!!!!!laugh

Kim

Tell her 'Oh yes, that old kit, - had that for ages!' If she doesn't believe you tell her 1) It is more healthy that you vegetating in front of the telly each night with a couple of beers. 2) Cheaper/safer than buying that super bike you always hankered after 3) More socially acceptable to marital bliss than another woman (who doesn't mind the odd kit or three)!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/10/2016 10:21:25

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/10/2016 10:23:28

In the loft I have:

R/C

• Tutor 40 (broken)
  • Puppeteer
  • Magic - classic F3A

Freeflight

• 5 x F1A Gliders
  • 2 x F1H
  • KK Senator

Unstarted Kits