Design & Build FW 200 Condor / Syndicato

Robert Parker

Simon, the wing section is not too thick and the nacelles are also on the small side It was a bit of a squeeze getting the motor mounting plate to fix onto the bulkhead there was no room for a battery in each nacelle.

Thank you Cliff. I see your Connie is coming along with your rebuild.

As we are in for a wet and windy weekend here in deepest darkest S.Wales I might start looking at the wreckage once I've got the wing panel glued on my new project whilst the glue dries.

Regards

Robert

Well with thanks to Graham Legg who checked my CoG calculations, it was found that my calculations were indeed wrong by 17mm rearwards which did not help at all, the CoG needs to move forwards by that amount. So one reason found for the incident.

Today I looked over the wreckage and checked out all of the electrics and servos, all fine and working correctly, so not mechanical failure. The wings only have a split in the top sheeting and no other damage was found even when trying to twist and push and pull on the panels.

I have started repairing the fuselage this afternoon as well as removing two of the servos and will re-position them when I get the flight pack in position and then fit the servos around it as it was a pain to fit the flight pack between the pull pull wires of the rudder.

Onwards and upwards

Regards

Robert

Good to see that you're back to the Condor, Robert.

Very probably a daft question, but wouldn't it be more 'stable/steady' at take off with contra-rotating props? I suppose that in such a case you don't have to worry about the need for possible side?

Keep the mojo...

Cheers

Chris

Being back by 17mm is probably a very significant amount. I know that many will be more concerned by the static margin, which is useful to know, Although as a philistine, I like the easier (at least to me) percentage average chord value. I find it is easier to get a feel of the ballpark pitch sensitivity (although both provide a feel as to how the model will behave).

Whilst you have been at your checks, have you verified the angular relationship between the tailplane and wing?

Given the model is electric the option of opposite or pusher propellors on one side is viable, quite often. Although then a debate ensues with respect as to which propellor should be rotating which way. For my Delta twin, it has conventional props, without any issues. The 110 has handed props, again with no obvious benefits, although no real left swing, when taking of. Perhaps those with proper multis can provide a better insight?

Another good option is to get yourself a good test pilot, they do allow you to concentrate on what you believe is happening, which can be compared to the pilots impressions. Takes a lot of load of you and makes for considered changes to the model easier,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The re-building is now complete with just a bit of painting here and there still to do. I found that the paint "flashed" so I have done a trial taking it back to the next panel line.

I appeared that I was very thorough in picking up all of the pieces only having to make a couple of bit where the prop had struck the fuselage. On the whole I'm pleased with the result, once it is a 100 ft up no one will be any the wiser.

I have just checked the CoG and the flight pack has moved forwards around 3", however, when I retract the u/c the model becomes tail heavy due to the legs tucking back past the CoG position. So I have decided to balance the model with the legs retracted then when lowered the model becomes nose heavy rather than the other way around. The amount is 34mm to 49mm from the former in front of the wing.

I am open to anyone's opinions on the CoG position.

dsc05178.jpg

The dark grey panel shows a lot darker than it does in real life

dsc05179.jpg

Looks good in this light

dsc05180.jpg

Still not removed the mud from the nose. did not find the radio mast.

dsc05181.jpg

The pilots seem happy anyway now that they have been re-united since the co-pilot was ejected on impact.

I had to hand paint the "N" and "D" as they had been made into confetti by the prop.

dsc05182.jpg

Wings repaired.

What I have left to do is move the rudder and elevator servos and fit the battery tray in it's new position and re-check the CoG

Sorry about the picture quality, will take some more at the weekend, may even try to fly again.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Full size and model aircraft usually have acceptable handling characteristics over a range of CG positions that is likely to cover 5% of the chord. If your calculated position is correct this time and you have found the CG sweet spot, then everything should be OK. But to minimise the possibility of another 'upset' why not move the CG to what should be the forward limit for your second attempt (perhaps another 2.5% C forward), and then fine tune its position based on actual flight testing. The worst that could happen if you use up all the of the elevator up trim is that you would need to hold a bit of up elevator on the stick.

As someone said earlier in the thread, too far forward - flies badly. Too far aft - flies once.

Hi All,

I did not get to flying today, this morning was a bit too windy and a cross wind at that, so I spent a little time checking things over and checking again.

dsc05183.jpg

This is the new position for the battery and the servos have all moved to make it easier to fit.

Typical as I had informed my wife that I was not going flying, then the requests for assistance in the garden came and within an hour the wind had dropped, too late to load up and go flying. Still there's always next time. Got to keep her sweet.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Well with the near perfect weather for a maiden I tried again, and it did not end too well.

dsc05831.jpg

All set, final checks.....

dsc05836.jpg

Having got a good bit of airspeed she lifted off and immediately dropped the left wing despite putting in full right aileron she just kept rolling over

dsc05837.jpg

The aftermath the fuselage faired a little better but the wing not so good.

Perhaps the wing was weakened in the first attempt but I did check it, lateral balance was spot on just no clue why she rolled over, feeling sad sad

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I'm gutted Mate. All that hard work.

I have been there tho, Built a DB Baby Ace, kept rolling left..............Hard............ I added more down and Mega amounts of right thrust. I Finally got her to fly after the third rebuild, only to have her stall in on an ordinary upwind left turn. I did not rebuild after that.

Take Care.

D.D.

Thanks DD, we have all been there it's part of the course that our hobby takes us, still bitter when it does happen.

Still looking on the bright side I did manage to get my DB Bi-stormer back on the ground after both aileron horns failed, thank goodness for lots of rudder.

Regards

Robert