'Sully'

Cuban8

Having seen the current ads on TV for the film 'Sully', and being an admirer of many of Tom Hanks's films, the wife and I called into our local multiplex yesterday to check on the times of screenings.

We're not regular cinema goers, as quite frankly, what passes for much of the entertainment at the 'flicks' these days doesn't appeal, so it's over a year since we saw a film.

I'd heard that cinemas had increased their charges, so on checking the price for an evening screening (billed as premium time), it would work out at a few coppers over £21 for two tickets - a bit cheaper in the afternoon (budget ticket £8.75 each), but that's inconvenient for us. We also have to pay for parking, so another few quid on top - call it £25.

When we noticed that the film is only 96 minutes long, we felt that it didn't represent good value, and given that the screens in multiplexes are tiny in comparison to what they were, we didn't feel the experience was worth the effort or cost.

I have a pretty good TV and sound system at home, so It'll be the BlueRay version for us when it's released.

All rather different to when I recall seeing a main feature and support ( Pathe & Movietone news reels were also still going into the early 70s IIRC) & you could see the film as many times as you wanted, along with a good feed in the local Wimpy afterwards with.............change from a fiver for the whole night out.laugh.

Rose tinted specs replaced in their box.....................

Advert

last trip to watch a film for me the wife and son cost me a total £50 after they all wanted snacks from the cinema shop.

not bad to sit through a Disney film I was not interested in watching. my wife simply refused to believe me when I told her how much I had spent seeing that one film

All films seem to come to the TV in due course so no point in going out and paying money at the cinema.

One exception - a film that has never come to TV as far as I can tell is " Panic in the Year Zero" a Ray Milland film from the 1960's. Possibly the subject puts TV off. It's about what happens when an atomic bomb is dropped on LA. Actually far less horriific than many films now - the people just take to the hills in panic so law and order breaks down.

I'll wait as well, especially as the reviews aren't universally good. I've enjoyed Hanks' films in the past, particularly Apollo 13 which is perhaps a similar genre to Sully so I'm sure it will be worth seeing but not at huge expense.

I remember going to the 'pictures' when there was a newsreel, a cartoon , a shorter film as well as the main feature which gave pretty good value for money. Obviously the newsreel is pointless now but the other parts of the programme would still stand. I particularly regret the loss of the shorter films. There were some real gems amongst them that were really good but didn't justify the longer treatment.

We have a very good small cinema in Belper and we visit occasionally. One thing I appreciate is the no smoking rule. Whilst the wreaths of blue smoke lit by the projector beam were visually attractive my lungs didn't like it so much.

Geoff

I can recall the first time I was exposed to the no smoking in cinemas, it was in the early 60s in sydney oz, I think the film was its a mad etc world and there was a 15 min intermission when the entrance to the place was crammed with people smoking their guts out. Nowadays smoking is much less fashionable thank heavens.

I don't go to the movies not because of cost but solely down to nothing being shown that I want to watch, though the other half is threatening to drag me to girl on a train.

I saw the Star Wars film at the cinema last year - first tome since Terminator 2. Sound and picture weren't exactly impressive. My system at home blows it away in sound quality and picture. I also have a projector, so have a 106inch screen.

With a 7.1 DTS surround system, top end amps - it literally blows u away!

Edited By Paul Marsh on 05/12/2016 07:06:53

ive seen Sully...its ok...in the good old days before tree's were invented we used to go to the "pictures"for 9d (4p) and there was always two films on the B movie and the main film..and don't forget the Saturday morning shows with all your school mate's.....you couldn't hear a thing teeth 2 ...that was surround sound and a half.

ken Anderson...ne..1..... surround sound dept.

The NTSB have complained about the film.

In order to pad the film out, the NTSB are shown as trying to blame Sully for the crash-in fact they were just eliminating causative factors as they have to.

Without this padding, the film would not have much story - apart from the brilliant crash landing, which wasn't enough material for a full length film.

Wow Cuban, you obviously live in an expensive part of the UK! I've just booked at the local Odeon Multi-screen, standard seats were £6.50, I've treated us to the VIP seats at £8.50.

Personally, I like the cinema - I like the sense of occassion - of "going somewhere to see the film", I like watching films with other people, in an audience. So I don't see £6.50 for a standard seat as that expensive these days. Check out the price of a basic low level restaurant meal - or a glass of wine or pint of beer! And remember, the more we all "wait for it to come on TV" the more expensive still the cinema will become - someone has to pay for the making of he film?

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/12/2016 12:46:31:

Wow Cuban, you obviously live in an expensive part of the UK! I've just booked at the local Odeon Multi-screen, standard seats were £6.50, I've treated us to the VIP seats at £8.50.

Personally, I like the cinema - I like the sense of occassion - of "going somewhere to see the film", I like watching films with other people, in an audience. So I don't see £6.50 for a standard seat as that expensive these days. Check out the price of a basic low level restaurant meal - or a glass of wine or pint of beer! And remember, the more we all "wait for it to come on TV" the more expensive still the cinema will become - someone has to pay for the making of he film?

BEB

100% this! You just can't beat a 4K cinema screen and a few grand's worth of audio yes

..and yes, Kodi is of course illegal.

Posted by Andy Meade on 05/12/2016 13:05:54:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/12/2016 12:46:31:

BEB

100% this! You just can't beat a 4K cinema screen and a few grand's worth of audio yes

..and yes, Kodi is of course illegal.

Hmmm.......I suppose anywhere within fifty miles of London reflects higher prices, although I asked my daughter on Skype just now and up in Derbyshire they also expect to pay about the ten quid mark per seat.surprise

Most memorable cinema moment? For me, probably 'Alien' back in the  late 70s...............the whole  audience jumped a foot out of their seats when 'it' sprung out to attack...............great stuff, frightened the life out of us.

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/12/2016 13:39:32

Been watching this thread with more interest than usual. I thought "Sully" was a great movie. I don'nt read anything into I,t I just enjoyed the movie.

My wife and I saw it at $8.50 per seat, which is <5 British pounds, I don't have the symbol on my key board. Ex cluding tucker after, that's a good deal.

One of those movies I will buy when available.

Someone mentioned reviews, I hav'nt taken any notice of them since I read "The Thief, the Cook and her Lover"' , was great movie. I am still recovering from the wrist wounds.

my wife is a big film fan and buys a lot of the movie magazines and follows a few websites that are just full of reviews.

we soon both learned not to listen to reviews. try to think of two recent films you have seen. one you like and one you don't and then go back and look at the reviews and you will easily see what I mean. some of it is just down to taste. but I also believe that reviews in the paid press are not always impartial. If someone is paying you money you are not going to harshly criticise them in public are you?.