What's the recipe for growing club membership?

Jonathan M

Posted by Glyn44 on 19/12/2016 08:00:27:

Re Chris B comment

I felt something similar when a newbie. I hated to fly when there was a full patch. The guys would be sitting in a row of chairs watching. I unnerved me. Especially if flying something new. It felt like a critical examination to me. If I saw the caw park was full I often turned around and went home. Silly I know, but that's how it was.

I recognise those feelings exactly. When I was a teenager in the 1970s and still trying to become somewhere near competent with a model, the club that I belonged to could be very intimidating with their banter that wasn't always kind or lighthearted. I realise now that the loudest critics were actually the most incompetent flyers themselves - and it still rankles with me a bit, even forty years later.

Thankfully, I eventually joined another club that couldn't be more different, and with a bit of positive encouragement, soon never looked back.

The row of seated "elders" , most clubs have them, gave me the best compliment I have ever received .As I walked back to the pits after flying one stood up and said

"now the patch is cleared of those Bl*****dy Hooligans, is anybody up for some real flying ?"The other guy flying with me was a national 3D champ ,( I.m only 1Dcertified )

A club must be tolerant of all interests !! and "clique" free.

cheers

Some folk don't enjoy/like flying when there's an heli up, therefore we get the "you can't fly em together" comments, truth be told we ALL have particular pilots who we don't enjoy/like flying alongside, what's being flown is not the problem...how and by who sometimes is...and that go's with all disciplines.

John

Posted by john stones 1 on 19/12/2016 14:24:24:

Some folk don't enjoy/like flying when there's an heli up, therefore we get the "you can't fly em together" comments...

Yup, there are lots of these urban myth "rules" that tend to get embedded in club culture, normally unofficially (i.e. they are never written down). When newcomers transgress them it can feel particularly embarrassing, yet in order to have avoided the situation they'd have had to be mind readers!

Posted by john stones 1 on 19/12/2016 14:24:24:

...truth be told we ALL have particular pilots who we don't enjoy/like flying alongside, what's being flown is not the problem...how and by who sometimes is...and that go's with all disciplines.

+1 - there are 3D heli and fixed wing pilots I'd fly in close proximity too all day long with no fear of an incident occurring, yet a couple of people with Junior 60 type models who seem to magnetically attract accidents...

Some very valid points in the previous posts. Our membership is currently capped at 100 and we lose on average 5 members a year, due to age, death, losing interest or moving away etc. We do generally have a at least 6 on the waiting list, all in the last 10 years have applied via the club's website and had initially found out about the club via the following methods (in order, highest likelyhood 1st).

1, General visitor to our website where we advise new members that we provide training - this is the.by far the biggest draw. NB I'm not entirely sure how they find out about this in the 1st place but we easily show up on web searches if you are in our location or the local model shops know we exist?

2, Friend, family member or acquaintance of an existing member - if these are a novice flyer we promote them being mentored by their sponsor.

3, Visiting member from another club (we hold the odd informal BBQ / Fly-in and invite neighbouring clubs) - this works really well, especially if your club has better facilities is friendly etc

So on this basis, I would canvass existing members, contact local model shops, invite other clubs to fly-ins, get a decent website and offer training.

Also, I understand the BMFA have a club-finder on their website.

Edited By Model Monster on 19/12/2016 16:10:30

I have a feeling the same circumstances exist here in Australia.

I had my interest in the hobby lifted by a work colleague who owns and flies models, discussion came up at the lunch break and I mentioned I had tried many years ago to fly models (control line) and failed miserably. Anyway he gave a few suggestions which I researched on the internet and before I knew it I was walking out the door of a good hobby shop with an apprentice, a simulator and an ear full of very good advice about contacting a club as well as where I could or couldn't fly (plus a little advice on the law).

Anyway I really wasn't keen on joining a club, firstly because of my work arrangements (I'm away for two weeks of every three) and secondly I really didn't want strangers telling me what I did wrong or what to do or not do when the inevitable crash happened as the hobby shop owner advised me would happen 😄. He also wisely said the best way to not crash was to not fly.

About 12 months later after many hours on the simulator and a few good hours of flying time on my own I thought I was doing just fine on my own. By this stage I had also become keen enough to start researching the hobby more, after all I wanted to get better at it and with all things that means a bit of research and study. That's where publications like RCM&E come in. I was reading a magazine on drones in Australia and one article in particular opened my eyes, it was about changes to the aviation laws with regards to drones/multirotors but also touched on RC flying machines in general. Suddenly the advice from the hobby shop owner was again ringing in my ears about joining a club and flying sites. Uh oh, time to find a club before the law found me.

So now I'm joining a club, plus I have another work colleague who is as keen as me and he's joining as well as a complete novice.

So what's the secret to growing club membership? I think it's awareness. Thanks to a good, responsible hobby shop owner (whose advice I almost ignored) and a magazine publication I have been made aware of my responsibilities as a model flyer and in order to be a better pilot you need peer advice, therefore clubs are a must. The hard part for clubs is putting their banner in the face of prospective members, I think that just comes down to advertising in whatever form that may be. Websites, magazines, community events....... whatever it takes.

Best of luck to all clubs.

TP

Posted by Pete Willbourn on 19/12/2016 13:54:06:

The row of seated "elders" , most clubs have them, gave me the best compliment I have ever received .As I walked back to the pits after flying one stood up and said

"now the patch is cleared of those Bl*****dy Hooligans, is anybody up for some real flying ?"The other guy flying with me was a national 3D champ ,( I.m only 1Dcertified )

cheers

At my club, I can guarantee that if I make a mess of something, I'll be subject to a barrage of some of the most scathing, pithy, derogative - and usually hilarious - comments from my mates...and I'll give as much back!

But there is a massive difference when something unfortunate happens to someone with a bit less experience or of a sensitive character when the mood will change to one of sympathy, encouragement and advice. Club members make or break the atmosphere of a club but it's so important that those looked on as senior members set the tone - it will be followed.

Posted by Martin Harris on 19/12/2016 23:50:31:
Posted by Pete Willbourn on 19/12/2016 13:54:06:

cheers

At my club, I can guarantee that if I make a mess of something, I'll be subject to a barrage of some of the most scathing, pithy, derogative - and usually hilarious - comments from my mates...and I'll give as much back!

But there is a massive difference when something unfortunate happens to someone with a bit less experience or of a sensitive character when the mood will change to one of sympathy, encouragement and advice. Club members make or break the atmosphere of a club but it's so important that those looked on as senior members set the tone - it will be followed.

"least said - soonest mended".

Posted by Tipsy Pilot on 19/12/2016 23:20:30:

I have a feeling the same circumstances exist here in Australia.

I had my interest in the hobby lifted by a work colleague who owns and flies models, discussion came up at the lunch break and I mentioned I had tried many years ago to fly models (control line) and failed miserably. Anyway he gave a few suggestions which I researched on the internet and before I knew it I was walking out the door of a good hobby shop with an apprentice, a simulator and an ear full of very good advice about contacting a club as well as where I could or couldn't fly (plus a little advice on the law).

Anyway I really wasn't keen on joining a club, firstly because of my work arrangements (I'm away for two weeks of every three) and secondly I really didn't want strangers telling me what I did wrong or what to do or not do when the inevitable crash happened as the hobby shop owner advised me would happen 😄. He also wisely said the best way to not crash was to not fly.

About 12 months later after many hours on the simulator and a few good hours of flying time on my own I thought I was doing just fine on my own. By this stage I had also become keen enough to start researching the hobby more, after all I wanted to get better at it and with all things that means a bit of research and study. That's where publications like RCM&E come in. I was reading a magazine on drones in Australia and one article in particular opened my eyes, it was about changes to the aviation laws with regards to drones/multirotors but also touched on RC flying machines in general. Suddenly the advice from the hobby shop owner was again ringing in my ears about joining a club and flying sites. Uh oh, time to find a club before the law found me.

So now I'm joining a club, plus I have another work colleague who is as keen as me and he's joining as well as a complete novice.

So what's the secret to growing club membership? I think it's awareness. Thanks to a good, responsible hobby shop owner (whose advice I almost ignored) and a magazine publication I have been made aware of my responsibilities as a model flyer and in order to be a better pilot you need peer advice, therefore clubs are a must. The hard part for clubs is putting their banner in the face of prospective members, I think that just comes down to advertising in whatever form that may be. Websites, magazines, community events....... whatever it takes.

Best of luck to all clubs.

TP

Good post Tipsy

Our club has a nominal limit of 70 IIRC but we currently have around 73 members at the moment. So we must be doing something OK.
I only joined a couple of years ago (long time country member of BMFA) as I already knew the Chairman and at least one other member. Nevertheless I still got the "stopping of conversation and turning heads" effect. Took a while to break the ice, then it was absolutely fine, now I love the friendship and banter.

Now I realise we are mainly a group of grumpy old men gathered together to fly our toy planes but,  and this is important, when a new member arrives at the patch feeling as nervous as hell about flying and feels he is amongst a group of strangers who he feels may be judging him, his plane and his skills, then in this situation it is important to be friendly, to talk and listen, make the new member feel welcome, you may never see them again otherwise. Then he may go home having had a great day and talk to all his mates about it, presto, more prospective members.

Hope that make sense, been a trying day.

Shaunie.

Edited By Shaunie on 20/12/2016 19:30:00

Shaunie, read psychology papers with keywords, male dominance. Humans do not lock antlers, show anus decoration, and the rest. But we do male dominance behaviour, just like the rest, to procreate.

But, seriously, just back off a bit with a newby. Cut him some slack. When he transgresses, especially so, guide with a light hand, and a especially avoid smugness. His machine does not represent much risk. Live with the risk. And when you think, right that's it, give him another chance.

You will get the odd dead brain example. But I bet, we drive more potential world champions away.

Hi Donald, really not sure about your first paragraph, read it several times, makes little sense to me.

With the rest, I'm not sure if you are criticising or complementing what I am trying to say.

Backing off is what there seems to be too much of, with newbies standing on their own while little cliques chatter around them, I am not saying be pushy, I am saying be inclusive and welcoming, what is wrong with that?

Life is full of risk, risk management I am familiar with.

In our club the brain dead may of course be amongst the established members, not the newbies, I couldn't comment smile d.

Shaunie.

Having run an adult education course for a couple of years, in which I taught people the skills to build and fly R/C models, two things were apparent:

1. Lots of people buy or are given a model, which they start and either don't finish through lack of knowledge, or don't fly for fear of crashing it.
  2. There is a resurgence of interest when the children leave home, giving the time to pursue a hobby again and having the space in which to do it.

If would be flyers don't know where to find you, then you have to go and find them. As you said, all the nausea of child protection rules out the younger end of the potential recruits, so you need to find the older ones.

Do a bit of brainstorming of groups who may appreciate a visiting speaker. A few examples could be the British Legion, the Civil Service retirement fellowship and full-size aviation groups. Try and persuade the most charismatic member of the club to do the talks, and cover as many of types of model as possible. You never know, even members of the Women's Institute may be looking for ways to get their husbands out of the house....

Local newspapers are always looking for interesting articles to fill the pages, so an article about the club with the offer of hands on flying of a buddy box equipped trainer should bring some potential members out of the woodwork. Offer a few alternative days, as some people, particularly those with families, may have standing commitments at weekends.

Robin, you are so right about going out to find members.

We have a continuous Ad placed in a couple of local free monthly newspapers. It's been going for 9 months and had our first new member from it last week.

It costs nothing to place and needs no looking after, it's an easy option.

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 22/12/2016 02:22:23:

... If would be flyers don't know where to find you, then you have to go and find them. As you said, all the nausea of child protection rules out the younger end of the potential recruits, so you need to find the older ones.

Do a bit of brainstorming of groups who may appreciate a visiting speaker. A few examples could be the British Legion, the Civil Service retirement fellowship and full-size aviation groups. Try and persuade the most charismatic member of the club to do the talks, and cover as many of types of model as possible. You never know, even members of the Women's Institute may be looking for ways to get their husbands out of the house....

Local newspapers are always looking for interesting articles to fill the pages, so an article about the club with the offer of hands on flying of a buddy box equipped trainer should bring some potential members out of the woodwork. Offer a few alternative days, as some people, particularly those with families, may have standing commitments at weekends.

Robin, thank you for a whole roster of very useful ideas! There is evidently much we can do to raise our profile at little real expense or effort. Its not a question of some ambitious plan to double in size, but one of 'feeding the hopper' now, so that in x years time we don't suddenly find ourselves with too little critical mass to remain viable.

Jon

A balsa basher here - not a flyer yet - not a club member yet, i searched the internet for a local club and was directed to the BMFA site where i found a club near me. I studied this clubs website and reading through their rules it stated that guests were allowed ONE (in capitals) visit and thereafter a £94 fee was payable.

My idea was to turn up at a few meetings as a spectator, introduce myself, talk to a few of the flyers, and see what goes on etc. That was about 9 months ago and i never did go down to their field cause i would have felt very uneasy.

I've been left with the impression that this particular club is not very welcoming wanting a joining fee on a second visit or have i got it wrong?

John

Posted by John Stephenson 2 on 22/12/2016 16:43:46:

A balsa basher here - not a flyer yet - not a club member yet, i searched the internet for a local club and was directed to the BMFA site where i found a club near me. I studied this clubs website and reading through their rules it stated that guests were allowed ONE (in capitals) visit and thereafter a £94 fee was payable.

My idea was to turn up at a few meetings as a spectator, introduce myself, talk to a few of the flyers, and see what goes on etc. That was about 9 months ago and i never did go down to their field cause i would have felt very uneasy.

I've been left with the impression that this particular club is not very welcoming wanting a joining fee on a second visit or have i got it wrong?

John

I think they mean one visit of flying. They should not charge for spectating . The fee normally includes bmfa membership and therefore provides you with insurance

John

I wouldn't worry too much about the ONE visit thing, which is probably (based on their experience) aimed more at deterring casual fliers from accessing their patch for free than putting off genuine prospective members. When the weather improves, mosey on down a few times and chat to the people doing the actual flying - mostly ordinary, welcoming folk just like you and me.

Jon