UK government consultation on commercial use of drones.

Mr.B.

Advert

If the use of the word drone in the article implies that those new rules will only apply to drones then that is not totally the end of the world. especially if BMFA membership can be counted as pilot registration and the appropriate tests from the BMFA cover their testing requirement.

While i agree that the dedicated criminal element will ignore the rules, i still believe that most 'incidents' and caused by people unaware of the rules so some sort of testing/education is a good thing in my book and it would help widen the divide between responsible users and those acting unlawfully.

Yes, I heard that.

Well, at least the BMFA should be part of the consultation.

As to how effective it will be is another matter. The morons who fly in such stupid places will simply not register so that won't work.

So long as they differentiate between what are now accepted as "drones" ie. multi rotor types and model aircraft we might stand a fighting chance.

I know that there are one or two pedantic types who will not accept the common usage definition of "drones" as multi rotor devices and will try to get model aircraft included.but hopefully most people will realise that fixed wing models are not likely to be flown in the middle of towns etc.

You are talking about politicians here. The likely definition of drone was not discussed in the article but I can only assume that, as with EASA the definition is likely to include all un manned aircraft.

For the first time ever I think I will write to my MP.

Posted by Mr.B. on 21/12/2016 08:45:02:

You are talking about politicians here. The likely definition of drone was not discussed in the article but I can only assume that, as with EASA the definition is likely to include all un manned aircraft.

For the first time ever I think I will write to my MP.

That would be concerning i agree but again we need clarity. Would a BMFA member with a B Cert in fixed wing and A on Heli's be considered to be 'tested'. I would very much hope so

Posted by Steve J on 21/12/2016 09:33:30:
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 21/12/2016 09:16:05:

I can see this is going to be a very very long Post.

Why? There is nothing new in that article.

Steve

I didn't think registration of aircraft of each unmanned aircraft had previously been mooted in the UK?

Posted by Peter Miller on 21/12/2016 08:31:02:

Yes, I heard that.

Well, at least the BMFA should be part of the consultation.

As to how effective it will be is another matter. The morons who fly in such stupid places will simply not register so that won't work.

So long as they differentiate between what are now accepted as "drones" ie. multi rotor types and model aircraft we might stand a fighting chance.

I know that there are one or two pedantic types who will not accept the common usage definition of "drones" as multi rotor devices and will try to get model aircraft included.but hopefully most people will realise that fixed wing models are not likely to be flown in the middle of towns etc.

The law does not differentiate now between fixed wing and multirotors, so why would it in future? Politicians don't care about model fliers, they are not numerous enough to worry about upsetting/losing their votes. If registration does come it will apply across the board to all UAS I am certain.

Edited By MattyB on 21/12/2016 10:07:43

Just before you get too carried away on yet another thread of "doom and gloom" (God you are a happy and optimistic lot wink 2) can I just point out two things here:

1. This is not an announcement of a government plan - its an effort by a journalist to fill some space!

2. Assuming the UK givernment has more sense than their French counterparts (not difficult even for our politians), nothing significant is likely to happen until the EASA proposals are settled.

So I'd go back to stuffuing the turkey if I were you!

BEB

I'd be very surprised if there is anything significant.

Read the article - it says nothing. The quote from the minister is bland and general to the extreme and is almost certainly just a "library quote" - ie not given in specific response to this article or even this journalist!

The rest is just padding and more of the running around in circles shouting "We're all doomed I tell ye"!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/12/2016 11:31:28

The previously mentioned restrictions could simply apply to unmanned aircraft , our local sports field where we used to fly simply put up a notice board early this year stating that , unmanned aircraft are not legally permitted to be flown here, Is this the future wording that could apply to all model flyers ?

Posted by Peter Miller on 21/12/2016 08:31:02:

As far as I am aware the only "drone" that was video'd from a full size aircraft was a flying wing flying FPV at height. If you look at most online beyond line of sight flight is by fixed wing. The new Horizon Hobbies FPV Opterra is a flying wing. My first FPV flights were with a fixed wing plane and without a spotter it would have been very easy to inadvertently fly beyond LOS.