How do fairy lights work?

Andy48

OK, I know you plug the transformer into the mains and away they go...angry

I bought some icicle lights which work in alternate banks, switching on, off and dimming. Both banks can be on or just one.

Using my simplistic electrical knowledge it would appear that you need 3 leads, a power lead to each bank and a common return.

However these lights only have two leads, just one live and one return, so how does the system activate each bank?

Advert

I strongly suspect it will be two strings of LEDs back-to-back (known as inverse parallel). Apply voltage in one direction and one string will light, reverse the polarity and the other string will light. For effects, the controller is probably generating a square wave ac waveform and controlling the brightness of each string by varying the duty cycle of each half (positive for one string and negative for the other).

Shaunie.

Martin is right... the give away is in the name L.E.D's

Light Emitting Diodes....so if you run all of the LED's in parallel, but half are one way around & the other lot the other, you can control them independently depending on which half cycle of the ac supply you change...

I liked the "old" filament ones in series....you get 240V ac across the faulty lamp...! What do the say " if it didn't kill you it made you stronger wiser!

Posted by Andy48 on 26/12/2016 21:24:42:

Ok thought about that but how do you get both strings to light at once? I wonder if the switching is fast enough to ensure each string remains lit?

You don't need to keep the LEDs 'lit' - just switch them fast enough to fool the human eye into thinking they're lit. A lot of LEDs used in displays are not actually on permanently even when they look as if they are.

Shaunie,

I don't think you can back to back them as the reverse bias current is too small to get the other one to light up. It would be possible to do that with three wires or as I suggested run them in parallel just some facing one way and the others the opposite way.

Of course depending on the applied voltage you could have a string of LED's in one direction and another string in them in the other... that way you could control each alternate string as Andy48 suggested.

Personally I was more concerned that I was at the top of a ladder that my wife was footing while hanging them on the gutters than thinking how they worked...laugh

LOL , I have been ask that same question many years ago, By the bin men, Taxi drivers, or anyone who passed my house

"how do you make you're lights flash like that".

LOL i replied i plug them in.

But in fact i made a opto isolator board and wired it to my 8 bit printer port of my Sinclair computer wrote a small basic program to switch the outputs in sequence .

The eight sets of lights where of course the 240 volt daisy chain type.

I was the talk of the neighborhood with taxi drives often stopping to watch them.

My partner whom i was courting at the time was embarrassed to be dropped of by taxi, so asked that she be dropped off at the end of the street ,embarrassed

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 27/12/2016 01:24:45

Posted by Donald Fry on 27/12/2016 09:07:16:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/12/2016 23:04:44:

Mine have stopped working today.

Can't understand it they are only 30 years old.

That's cos yer fairy has died.

Don't sneeze as well. Every time you sneeze a fairy dies....Tinkerbell told me that!

Posted by cymaz on 27/12/2016 12:45:43:
Posted by Donald Fry on 27/12/2016 09:07:16:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/12/2016 23:04:44:

Mine have stopped working today.

Can't understand it they are only 30 years old.

That's cos yer fairy has died.

Don't sneeze as well. Every time you sneeze a fairy dies....Tinkerbell told me that!

Only if you pass wind at the same time. Something to do with sitting on Christmas trees.