Mode 1 or Mode 2

Former Member

Having arthrytis these last 10 years, I would drop the Tx if I used finger and thumb, and I fly by rolling my thumb around the stick, ably with all manner of models. A close colleague, with reduced movement in 1 arm and both legs, fly's mode 3 from his wheelchair. The model does not care what mode we are, and as always the pleasure and mental agility is immense.

Advert

Pete M., I believe that mine was the Boomerang, ECC90 or something or other hard valve if I remember correctly. Such were the days when a single flight would be very satisfying. Now we are discussing where to put our thumbs, perfect operation being taken for granted.

I would personally think that using a tray and finger and thumbs may be the best way to start out, whichever mode you choose. I bought a tray once. Stood on the runway with the model ready and chickened out at the last moment. Guess that even that long ago I was too old a dog to teach new tricks to.

My first proper competition radio was Prestige using very heavy Orbit sticks which were none too accurate compared with later gear. To apply a little elevator or rudder I just used to lean on the stick a bit to take up the centre play. I later used Simprop/Multiplex/JR which all have much lighter sticks and it took me a very long time to get used to them.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/02/2017 10:37:40:

It may seem blinding obvious to one person that a certian arrangement is bound to be better - because they found it better. But I'll lay even money that for everyone of them there is some one else who will swear by the exact opposite!

And to obligingly proove my point Martin and Denis post in th next few minutes after that post, doing exactly that! wink 2

BEB

Oi BEB - I resent that scurrilous accusation!

"I'm not sure that I follow this logic, Robin - the stick is in exactly the same place whether a finger is in contact with the stick or not...and I find that using a pinch grip restricts my freedom of movement - something I've utilised on occasional diversions into helicopter hovering."

The first part simply expresses my opinion that the end of my thumb never leaves contact with my body and therefore I don't have a problem knowing where it is...others' experience may vary.

Where have I pronounced that any mode is better - these are all statements about my personal experience. Far from dismissing pinch mode, I've given the reason why it doesn't suit me for my general flying and how I find it useful in a specific situation.

Dennis has also given his personal reasoning for his preference and actually made the point that mode choice is a personal preference!

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/02/2017 17:01:01

Martin -I think you are misinterpreting my post! No criticism was intended of either you or Denis.

I was merely reinforcing my point to Robin that it is not possible to take definative views on this matter. I said that as soon as you do - someone will (in my view quite legitimately) cite a contary experienece. Because what works for one - doesn't necessarily work for the other - as we know.

You and Denis then basically did excatly what I was hypothesising was the case! You gave evidence (quite reasonably) in support of a different view to Robin. Thus making my case for me!

As i say - no critism meant just pointing out that it confirmed what I said. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

BEB

What might matter is if you are the "odd one out" in a club or group. Being trained or training others becomes more difficult, trying out someone else's model (either way) likewise, maidening a model (either pilot or "sponsor" also.

Individually, there's nothing in any format and you pays your money and takes your chances.

I can fly Mode 1 or 2 fixed wing but I try to avoid Mode 1 helicopters unless its a fairly benign one. I fly thumbs but can fly pinch, though I find it limits available throws when not using a strap (and I don't use one)

I have been in the situation of having to refuse test flying a Mode 1 set up model leaving someone unable to fly.

I have also swapped round a model to test fly, bound to my Tx, then swapped back, hardly ideal but needs must when there is no better option at that time.

Posted by Dave Bran on 10/02/2017 19:19:40:

What might matter is if you are the "odd one out" in a club or group. Being trained or training others becomes more difficult, trying out someone else's model (either way) likewise, maidening a model (either pilot or "sponsor" also.

Agreed and that was the point I made at the opening of this thread. I'm one of, I think, only two Mode 1 flyers in a large club of Mode 2 flyers. Is it a problem? Not really but you are on your own when testing new models!

Stu Z, I am in that situation too, only two of us fly mode 1 in my club. I am an examiner so it is sometimes difficult to take over a model if I want to demonstrate how things should be done to a candidate. I moved from the Midlands to Bucks. and was surprised that virtually everyone was on mode 2.

Some confusion here as to which Martin people are referring to.

Another can of worms I seem to have opened again!

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/02/2017 20:46:11:

Stu Z, I am in that situation too, only two of us fly mode 1 in my club. I am an examiner so it is sometimes difficult to take over a model if I want to demonstrate how things should be done to a candidate. I moved from the Midlands to Bucks. and was surprised that virtually everyone was on mode 2.

Some confusion here as to which Martin people are referring to.

Another can of worms I seem to have opened again!

Martin, I have helped Mode 2 flyers that were asking for models to be "maidened" but only where their models were of the vintage BB type. I have tried to practise on Mode 2 for experience and can manage on a simulator but again only slowish trainer types. I still feel more comfortable with Mode 1 and don't really feel the need to change. Not sure why Mode 1 started to disappear, perhaps because model shops stock Mode 2 kit and RTF planes are all Mode 2?

Posted by ron evans on 05/01/2017 10:29:47:.

I wonder if deep down mode 2 users are frustrated full size pilotswink. Not mode1 users of course, I can only think of one full size mode 1 aeroplane.....the Wright Flyer.

I have heard that all the early flyers were mode 1 until Bleriot invented mode 2, so it has a good ancestry. I find the claim of equivalence to full size flying dubious, and will continue to do so until I see the Mode 2 lot working the rudder with their feet.

I learned to fly Mode 2, carried on with it for the next 7 years, then moved from East Anglia to the Southwest and joined a Mode 1 club where I was persuaded to try converting. A buddy box helped, and it did not take long. At a halfway point when I was equally at home with either mode I had no doubt that Mode 1 suited me better and I am still with it today, though I can still fly Mode 2 and take over from someone who is having problems.

Not being frivolous, I think trying the other mode is worth a serious try, but calls for genuine determination and the abandonment of anti-mode prejudice. With a bit of persistence it’s possible to master an alternative mode. Only after doing this is it really fair to think of pronouncing one or other mode superior. Even then the old arguments will probably never die out.

Posted by Clive Hall on 10/02/2017 21:16:53:
Posted by ron evans on 05/01/2017 10:29:47:.

I wonder if deep down mode 2 users are frustrated full size pilotswink. Not mode1 users of course, I can only think of one full size mode 1 aeroplane.....the Wright Flyer.

I have heard that all the early flyers were mode 1 until Bleriot invented mode 2, so it has a good ancestry. I find the claim of equivalence to full size flying dubious, and will continue to do so until I see the Mode 2 lot working the rudder with their feet.

I learned to fly Mode 2, carried on with it for the next 7 years, then moved from East Anglia to the Southwest and joined a Mode 1 club where I was persuaded to try converting. A buddy box helped, and it did not take long. At a halfway point when I was equally at home with either mode I had no doubt that Mode 1 suited me better and I am still with it today, though I can still fly Mode 2 and take over from someone who is having problems.

Not being frivolous, I think trying the other mode is worth a serious try, but calls for genuine determination and the abandonment of anti-mode prejudice. With a bit of persistence it’s possible to master an alternative mode. Only after doing this is it really fair to think of pronouncing one or other mode superior. Even then the old arguments will probably never die out.

Clive, as you say it is possible to become "ambidextrous" for want of a term, I think though you have to be able to mentally stay aware of where the controls are. That's why I have in fact 2 simulators so I can practice both. (One cost me a tenner at a model show). Mode 1 however is still my dominant mode and was where I started 30+ years back.

I have been a mode 1 thumbs flier since I was taught around the age of 7. I did try and change to made 2 for fixed wing in the early noughties, but I never felt 100% confident so went back after around 18 months. Weird thing is when I started flying the odd coax heli and multirotor indoors a few years ago they were all mode 2, but I had zero problems! Go figure. The only explanation I can think of is that that I pinch the sticks on all the rotorcraft which must be enough to remind my brain what I'm flying and which control does which.

Edited By MattyB on 10/02/2017 23:32:47

Mode 1 for me for the last 45 years and I can't think of any reason why I'd need to change. I have tried mode 2 as an experiment, and although I can manage to fly that mode with extreme concentration on a simple model, it feels totally alien and would end in disaster if I tried aerobatics. Heli? No chance whatsoever. What is odd though, is that I have no trouble flying a full size computer flight sim with a single joystick, either with cockpit view or ground based as if flying a model.

Drifting marginally(?) off topic, as I have driven a large range of historic heavy commercial vehicles with just about every difference in control possible, from reversed gearbox, reversed side gear change, reversed pedals, clutches on the gear lever, sequential, gated, epicyclic, all crash, preselect, multi turn tiller, wheel, lever, and don't consider myself exceptional, I'd say most if not all people could fly any mode with a level of determination and concentration.

Once its burned in I had no trouble at all going between vehicles (my record being 17 very differing types in one day), even if it was months off one type.