Horizon Hobbies

Advert

Warranty claims for anything means you should return to the dealer who sold it and expect the dealer to deal with the problem. The idea of returning items direct to the distributor ( Horizon Hobby in the case of Spektrum ) is not really correct although it's convenient and has worked so far.   Of course returning to a dealer is not so handy when buying by mail order or at a show.   In future we must expect to return Spektrum to the dealer and this makes it all important to deal with a decent dealer not an unknown stand at a show.

Edited By kc on 20/03/2017 17:18:01

But in fairness KC, while I broadly agree with you, the extra costs to Germany are not much. I am thinking of buying a DX 6e, and in France it is £120, plus postage. Inwood £97, will get it France for less. And if I wait till a friend travels, I am up 20%. Then the temptation to deal with any seller becomes tempting.

I understand this is a shallow, brutal view of the relationship between buyer and seller, but in 2017, that is the world we live in.

And perhaps our downfall if we keep driving for a lower price, at a better quality.

When you buy goods in UK you need to return any faulty goods to the actual seller to be sure you get full rights under the law. Sending back to the distributor is not the same! If the distributor is no longer in the UK then it seems even more important to retain your legal rights by returning goods to the shop where they were bought.

Frankly HH idea of refusing to receive returned goods at their UK address after 13th March will surely cause lots of agro from people who were unaware of their move to Germany. You would expect them to have goods forwarded for a year at least.

It's very sad that people's jobs may have been lost as a result of these forthcoming changes, I've always been happy with HH products . I remember when I lived near Harlow and was able to pop over there occasionally.

Many years ago I worked for a small innovative family company making various RC model products not very far from Harlow, sadly that closed as it struggled against the competition and we were all made redundant.

On a positive as HH reduces its cost base we may see prices come down as that's one of the reasons (reliability not one of them ) I've veered away from Spectrum to Frsky.

Just got this from Horizon Hobbies

Unfortunately we are closing our UK Service Department on 31st March 2017. Please see information below:

Any items received from Monday 13th March onwards will be refused at our doors and turned away.

Any Faulty items after this date will need to be returned to:

Horizon Hobby GmbH
Hanskampring 9
D-22885 Barsbüttel

Phone +49-40-30061950

Email: [email protected]

Please ensure you mark clearly across the package “FAO Horizon Service Dept. Dealer UK” to ensure your product gets to the right department without any undue delays.

If you have technical queries you can email our Product Support Team [email protected]">[email protected].

It seems unbelievable that a major firm should allow items items returned for service to be " refused at our doors and turned away " from 13th March when they don't even close until 31st! Surely it would be cheaper to just pack them together and send to Germany than even spend time dealing with all the calls about missing RC gear!

Unless the package has the senders address on the outside it's going to be unpacked & treated by parcel staff who don't understand delicate RC gear. I wonder how many valuable TX or RX will be lost completely due to this cavalier attitude?

Edited By kc on 23/03/2017 11:10:58

Posted by kc on 23/03/2017 11:09:20:

It seems unbelievable that a major firm should allow items items returned for service to be " refused at our doors and turned away " from 13th March when they don't even close until 31st! Surely it would be cheaper to just pack them together and send to Germany than even spend time dealing with all the calls about missing RC gear!

Unless the package has the senders address on the outside it's going to be unpacked & treated by parcel staff who don't understand delicate RC gear. I wonder how many valuable TX or RX will be lost completely due to this cavalier attitude?

They could have arranged to have parcels redirected to the new location for a period of a month or two - albeit at a cost to themselves, coupled with advertising in the mags and prominent notifications on the website during that period. A very poor show and rather an arrogant attitude by HH IMHO. Surprised that senior staff at HH would allow that tone of announcement to be released.

Posted by kc on 23/03/2017 11:09:20:

You don't even have to go to the trouble of writing your full name and address, just to put your house number and postcode on anything you entrust the postal system. With that small piece of information you can identify the majority of properties in the UK.

So for me, probably similar for most people, its a matter of 8 letters/digits and you can find my front door.

Having lived in the US for some years, where a return address is required on every piece of mail, it is a habit I've had for many years. Abreviating to house number and postcode makes it very easy to do.

Not trying to be smart, just a suggestion in case some hadn't thought of it.

I can't this policy doing HH's reputation for customer service much good. The matter of actively turning goods away seems rather draconian and unhelpful.

Edited By avtur on 23/03/2017 12:31:42

How is it arrogant?

You are being informed quite plainly that you have until 13th March to get a UK service. Clear as a bell.

They could do a whole host of things, including keeping the UK service base open, but they are not.

They have made a decision and as a consequence they may well lose an awful lot of sales due to a reluctance to send kit to Germany for repair.

My local club has two members (possibly rising to three) refusing to go back to Spektrum because of this as they are ditching their Taranis gear (I kid you not we've had more Taranis glitches than anything else here!) and are going to Futaba!

The problem I see is that HH have not comunicated this decision to me.

If I didn't read this forum then I would be unaware of the situation.

How many Spektrum owners read this forum. I have asked two and neither are aware of this.

So tomorrow or in several months they could send their equipment to the last known address in the UK.

I am registered with Spektrum and they have my email adress.

I got fed up with my Spektrum radio gear and ( I will not go into detail why ).I sold all my Spektrum gear and have gone over to Futaba.In my opinion far better and I am very happy with what I have brought and they are in this country if things go wrong which I am sure the Futaba gear will not be a problem With what I am reading looks like I made a good decision It is such a shame H/H had such a good reputation to.It is sad to see!

Being a dinosaur, who has for years derided PR and all that goes with it, I have had my blinding flash of light on the road to Damascus. probably some time back, but i do now see how important communication and PR is to both developing your customer base and also retaining it.

In a sector of the retail trade that sees names come and go, HH seem to be doing all the right things to be yet another name in the history of modelling.

I am surprised that if i can see it, that the HH management do not have the same concerns about the impact that some of their actions could be having on their brands. Many businesses have found over the years that a brand is easy to tarnish, much more difficult to regain the previous lustre.

I now await the big reveal, the mega announcement in April. What ever the message a number will be not receiving the message as readily, if the timing with respect to radio servicing had not been made as part of the big reveal.

i have had two PZ models which I have had good service from. Although due to wear and tear, I have come to realise that these bits of foam have a definite finite life. Unlike the proverbial 200 year old brush, spares quickly become unavailable.

HH seem to have a nice business, it will be a pity to let it go, by lack of UK market support, that is works for both the retailer and us punters.

Well it's arogant refusing packages that are correctly addressed to the service address in the manual which will surely mean they get unpacked by someone who knows nothing about delicate RC gear to find the sender. Horizon should arrange to get them forwarded!

I checked it shows Harlow in my DX6i manual and you should all note the manual doesn't say return it via the dealer, in fact it says your local shop or place of purchase cannot provide warranty or service.   So correctly returned items are being refused!

As for putting the senders address on packages - quite often it get delivered to the senders address in error instead of the correct one!

Edited By kc on 23/03/2017 19:34:29

On valuable packages/parcels etc I always add a FROM: with house number and postcode Avtur suggests. There's little chance of receiving my own package in error.

I'm not a HH customer now though I owned DX6i for a while but sold it once I got a DSMX module for my Taranis. I certainly can't see my becoming one again with what seems to be their high-handed attitude to UK customers. In any case I was always slightly wary of their reputation for customer after sales service - I prefer not to know how good or otherwise after sales service is through not needing it.

Geoff

Posted by tigerman on 23/03/2017 15:45:38:

I got fed up with my Spektrum radio gear and ( I will not go into detail why ).I sold all my Spektrum gear and have gone over to Futaba.In my opinion far better and I am very happy with what I have brought and they are in this country if things go wrong which I am sure the Futaba gear will not be a problem With what I am reading looks like I made a good decision It is such a shame H/H had such a good reputation to.It is sad to see!

Tigerman, you had some gear that did not let you down. You lost confidence in it from what others said. You seem, having ditched the gear, to have joined the stone throwers. And you have had the new gear for less than a week, so less than 20 flights?. Throw stones if you wish, but duck this returned brick.

It`s not that many weeks ago that all the Spektrum users were saying what a fantastic customer service HH provided. Even repairing goods that were out of warranty F,O.C. and free return postage. Lets see if the Germans do it free and out of warranty ? If they do, all good for Spektrum users. But for the UK to do it F.O.C. Head office must have given the go ahead ?

Well no, It wasn't a very high value item, and I use the French post all the time, with absolutely no problems.

Of course you may be correct, but in light of previous experience, and their general lack of concern I doubt it

ernie