Horizon Hobbies

Advert

Not sure how it will all pan out, the current HH website seems to default to a .co.uk address at the moment and seems a bit of a dog's dinner. Now that HH Europe have embraced the American model of dealers and direct sales time will tell.

E-FLITE UMX P3 Revolution direct from HH for £58.79 with some UK retailers still selling it at up to £125.00 could be awkward.

Still don't see the big new beginning hyped by them yet. No mention of aftersales support on the website yet and an enquiry by me via email still unanswered after a few days.

All a tad confusing for me.

And in the specials they have some clearance items which is all non Horizon Hobbies stuff, so I guess that Staufenbiel will become another brand just like E Flite, Hanger 9, etc and the Staufenbiel retail shop is effectively gone. On the plus side I've ordered a MPX Rx for a good price, shame they Jeti DC16 they had listed at £0.00 and 100% discount was out of stock I would have ordered 2 laugh

I see what you mean Frank, Staufenbiel has been completely erased by HH. I guess their value to HH was an established logistics/distribution asset to enable the big plan.

Is it a case of the emperor's new clothes, Spektrum DX20, over £1,000 no hall sensor gimbals or class leading screen and I can't see that much more useable functionality over my Taranis.

I have bought a few HH products in the past but they seem to be moving in the wrong direction on pricing looking at some of their stuff or maybe I'm just not their target market any more.

I thought Staufenbiel were the one's who bought into HH and not the other way around?

Either way like everyone says, the new site is just a huge revamped online store with no where to go for service or customer care. The pricing is all messed up for sure, more so in the UK, £139 for a BNF Radian XL yet nerly £200 for a pnp?

Reading comments on the FB looks like a lot of UK people are without their radios after they got sent to Germany for service/repair or without their online orders and getting no response from HH Germany.

Could just be teething trouble during the move, but it's currently not looking good.

Posted by I_AM_MARKEVANS on 07/04/2017 10:19:16:

I thought Staufenbiel were the one's who bought into HH and not the other way around?

No, HH acquired Staufenbiel in 2014 - they used to have it in the news section of their site (see link page 1 of this thread) but that page now seems to have been pulled down in the website consolidation. It is still documented on other websites though.

Posted by I_AM_MARKEVANS on 07/04/2017 10:19:16:

Either way like everyone says, the new site is just a huge revamped online store with no where to go for service or customer care. The pricing is all messed up for sure, more so in the UK, £139 for a BNF Radian XL yet nearly £200 for a pnp?

Reading comments on the FB looks like a lot of UK people are without their radios after they got sent to Germany for service/repair or without their online orders and getting no response from HH Germany.

Could just be teething trouble during the move, but it's currently not looking good.

Completely agree - there is no way I would buy a Spektrum radio at the moment until the situation became clearer. This could also  have a major effect on the already ailing model shops of the UK. Love 'em or loathe 'em, HH products must be amongst the biggest selling at most shops. Those LMS' that can no longer source them must be going to lose a fair chunk of their revenue.

List of HH dealers from the HH EU website...

The Modelshop (Leeds)
Sherwoods, 88 Crossgates Road
LS15 7NL Leeds

Al's Hobbies
28 Stratford Road
MK12 5LW Milton Keynes

Gliders & Racing Models Ltd
NG24 2DE Newark

Western Valley Models
1 Crescent Road
NP11 6GJ Newport

TMK Trading Ltd
Superior Cars
NN1 1TB Northampton

Pegasus Models Ltd.
88 Catton Grove Road
NR3 3AA Norwich

Geedee Models Ltd
19-21 Heathcoat Street
NG1 3AF Nottingham

M.B. Models
Oulton Hall Grounds
LS26 8ZF Oulton, Leeds

Totem Timber Ltd
St.John's Road
PL4 0PA Plymouth

Wireless Madness Ltd
Unit 2 Brookfield Street
PR1 1NR Preston

Radio Controlled Shop Ltd
DUBLXXX Rathcoole, Ireland

Rother Valley Optics Ltd
21 Station Road
S26 6QP Sheffield

DMS Racing
418 St Albans Road
WD24 6PJ Watford

Edited By MattyB on 07/04/2017 10:35:32

Now that is an interesting list.

Whilst Rother Valley Optics look a terrific seller of all things optical , I would love one of their big telescopes, I couldn't make the link with RC stuff unless they plan on incorporating drones in their inventory.

Curiously I found I could import an E-flite model from the HH American site, including shipping and taxes, cheaper than I could buy from some UK retailers.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 06/04/2017 21:01:19:

And in the specials they have some clearance items which is all non Horizon Hobbies stuff, so I guess that Staufenbiel will become another brand just like E Flite, Hanger 9, etc and the Staufenbiel retail shop is effectively gone. On the plus side I've ordered a MPX Rx for a good price, shame they Jeti DC16 they had listed at £0.00 and 100% discount was out of stock I would have ordered 2 laugh

Oooooh - WotsWot are £125 and Acrowot £105ish - including delivery! I guess that I will shortly be the proud owner of a spanking new WotsWot ARTF. Time to finally retire my mid 80s Acrowot and re-purpose the hardware face 1

Seems that list has changed already!

**LINK**

Fast Lads Performance Ltd
Unit 6-7 Wortley Court
S75 3LS Barnsley

Wheelspin Models
Unite 9 Cedars Business Park, Avon Road
WS111QJ Cannock

Kings Lynn Model Shop
Clenchwarton Road
PE34 3LW Kings Lynn

Apex Models Ltd
182 Dukes Ride
RG45 6DS Crowthorne

TJD Models Ltd
83 Main Road
DA4 9HQ Dartford

Slough Radio Control Models
241 Green Street
EN3 7SJ Enfield

Model Heli Services
Belltrees
DUBLXXX Ennis, Ireland

Blade Hobbies Ltd
The Sanderson Centre
PO12 3UL Gosport

Midland Helicopters Ltd
Unit 11 Newton Road
LE10 3DS Hinckley

Penn Models Ltd
134 Moss Grove
DY6 9ES Kingswinford

Model & Hobby World (Skerton)
7 Owen Road
LA1 2AW Lancaster

Freeprawn Racing Co. Ltd
Moorhouse Avenue
LS11 8HA Leeds

The Modelshop (Leeds)
Sherwoods, 88 Crossgates Road
LS15 7NL Leeds

Al's Hobbies
28 Stratford Road
MK12 5LW Milton Keynes

Gliders & Racing Models Ltd
NG24 2DE Newark

Western Valley Models
1 Crescent Road
NP11 6GJ Newport

TMK Trading Ltd
Superior Cars
NN1 1TB Northampton

Pegasus Models Ltd.
88 Catton Grove Road
NR3 3AA Norwich

Geedee Models Ltd
19-21 Heathcoat Street
NG1 3AF Nottingham

M.B. Models
Oulton Hall Grounds
LS26 8ZF Oulton, Leeds

Totem Timber Ltd
St.John's Road
PL4 0PA Plymouth

Wireless Madness Ltd
Unit 2 Brookfield Street
PR1 1NR Preston

Radio Controlled Shop Ltd
DUBLXXX Rathcoole, Ireland

Rother Valley Optics Ltd
21 Station Road
S26 6QP Sheffield

DMS Racing
418 St Albans Road

It seems to me that HH is making a misjudgment, in transferring all of its eggs to Germany.. In many respects to similar mistakes made by a number of UK business trying to establish themselves in the USA. In that they think they know the markets and understand how it all works.

Germany may apparently seem to be good location due primarily to their non-tariff barriers to trading, that they erect. I can only imagine that HH believe that their products sell proportionally better in Germany than else where. Perhaps believing that customers will be happy sending or receiving goods via Germany. Even HK recognised their mistake and quickly relocated to Holland. Germany is a high cost, high non tariff barrier place. Even with high customer loyalty, many German modelling companies have gone under or become foreign owned.

I am of the opinion that they will loose a great part of the UK market that they presently have. Many either becoming Frsky customers or returning to their original RC supplier, such as Futaba.

Time will tell though.

From observation the repair/service facility is significant for a number of Spektrum users. It can be argued that the sets experience a higher need for this service as they represent a significant proportion of those in service in many clubs. Yet it is the reputational damage that occurs when the service is less convenient.

A good part of the success of Spektrum is associated with both the bundling of kit and RC set and the extensive use of Spekrum systems in third party models. As you suggest, both do rely on sales outlets, be it the Internet and MS. How these changes will affect some aspects of the market dynamics, time will tell.

Of the three clubs I have recently been or remain a member, Spektrum has not enjoyed a wide spread endorsement. One club has a no fly Spektrum corner, another had a do not go near electric fence, all have had some reliability issue. Having strained one of my models through a hedge, I realised this was due to my not checking the Nicad properly, it did not hold a charge, otherwise there could have been a Futaba hedge, that sucked Futaba models in. The problems with Spektrum could well be that they seem to be used predominantly by new fliers, lacking the experience of having crashed many models, due to the operators fault.

A UK presence I am sure would enable sales and customer satisfaction being maintained.