Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.

Advert

So.... have used up my last bit of Natural Solartex on the fins, and now have no excuse for not trying the brown paper method.

Tested it on........er................a test piece, and it was the proverbial piece of cake.

So on with the tail plane and elevators, I cut the trim tabs as per rudders. I found that you have to cut the paper quite close about an 1/8th or 1/4 overlap all round, not like the Tex where you can trim later. (probably mentioned before but there you go)

D.D.

Inspiration Media.

img_20170506_112749.jpg

Half done.

img_20170506_131815.jpg

Finished plus a fin, Dry fitted to see how neat my join is.

img_20170506_133006.jpg

These Elevator halves were a bit more tricky but I am getting the hang of it Chaps.

What is motivating me the most is the cost of this covering, which is Nothing (Glue and Paper fer Nowt)...............unless you count a %age of the water rates for the 20% of H2O in the glue mix. wink

The Elevator joiner is also glued in and I braced it with more brown paper

D.D.

img_20170506_152637.jpg

Nice Tail Feathers ,

Did you paint those birds?disgust

Does Bill Oddie know about this ?

I'm starting to twitch ,

It reminds me of my school days. I never had any friends , so my mum bought me a budgie called

Beryl .

Turns out it was a sparrow that had hit the kitchen window, which she revived and dipped in food colouring ,

Probably explains why she dressed me as a girl .

Thanks Richard...............................I think.................cheeky

Funnily enough, the red Canary has to given a food supplement to make it that Red....

I think Gary is a good name for a Boy budgie.

I am liking the Brown paper, and will have a go at the fuselage next, after sorting the wing fairings,

The tail end is all glued up, and working as it should.

It's a shame that Phil (fighter Aces) has limited Stock of Warbird Colours paint these days, Whats the next best thing, bearing in mind my scheme is N.Africa. I have yellow and I have a pint of LW Grey, but whether it's the right grey, I have yet to find out, as thee are three.

The Moth is ready for paint now as well.

Just sent Phil a message re paint, I will report back with the answer.

D.D.

Ive used B &Q match pots ! You can go in there and look at the shade cards , They have every brown from yellow to ebony and the same variation for grey and blue. All for £1.50

I did a Mp1010523.jpgediteranean FW190 in tan and green blotches and my nighfighter Ju88 . Dirt and exhaust is dark grey match pot .

So Brown paper and B&Q match pots , Cheeeeeep as your birds would say ,

Hi DD
I have used the same match pots from B&Q for some foamies too. I used their colour match service and took a sample (tail plane etc) and they mix it for you may not be 100% but darn near good enough. I also used the silk range, water proof already😀.
It's a water based mix and if you want to spray it you need a Isopropanol based thinner some use cheap screen wash! But at 2.50 a match pot you get enough paint to do the whole model and some of the kitchen😛

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 10/05/2017 07:52:24

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 10/05/2017 07:53:04

Well after a few weeks AWOL I am finally trying to get back on track, pain relief really not working so has been difficult to do anything much, looks like an operation is the only way forward but hey ho there are models to be built so priorities!🤣

Dwain when I contacted Phil recently to order the paint for mine and the stock was not there for the warbirds paint he told me he is introducing a range of his own soon so I was going to wait on that, I have to be honest I like the match pots idea though!

It has not all been wasted time, I have been looking at various parts of the build and have decided that I need to make the tooling for the flap and aileron hinge line, I will sand the faces to near scale shape and using probably Robart hinge points or my own manufacture to get a scale like hinge line on all surfaces, I have been doing this for years so it is hard for me not to complicate builds anymore. They will all be removable with a long carbon rod as the hinge pin.

I have made a start on the tail feathers and have gone for the supplied ball link connection and bell crank for the rudders with 2 mm carbon push rods to the rudders and small clevises with separate metal pins, I am looking for some very small ball links to go on the rudders but at the moment the ones I have are just a little too big.

The reason for using ball links is I am OCD about getting play in surfaces, a throw back from my mounded gliders so I have to choose servos carefully and the best linkages I have found has been the ball links, not sure it is so important with this model to be fair but makes all the difference on decent gliders.

I have also been whittling some parts for external aerials etc, so I can start making moulds for them.

Going to try and connect up the sound system today to inspire me to get my arse into gear and work through the pain!

Nige.

Edited By Nigel Dell on 10/05/2017 07:54:29

Welcome back Nigel .

For those that want simplicity , just buy the cheap match pots . I simply diluted them with water although no doubt Paul's method is better , Hey try simple first , Also try this : buy a cheap touch up gun on ebay (£13)as far less fussy and difficult to block than an airbrush , Chuck in some watered down match pot grey and then connect the hose to your car tyre (or the spare) that will give you enough pressure to paint the plane .

Just play around on some cardboard for a few minutes and you will soon feel good to go.

Most people stumble at the paint stage so lets keep it grass roots for the masses and tune us all up as we go .

Its great to see the leading players doing fancy stuff and it inspires us all , but for those who are a bit nervous , its best to do some basic experimenting to get going , I guess a bicycle tyre will also provide a good enough reservoir .

Thanks Guy's, it is about time I got going on this!

Richard the tyre reservoir reminds me of many moons ago and doing some paintwork on my first car, my Dad told me of this idea so being an impatient sod I did not await the delivery of the secondhand compressor a friend was selling me I used this idea, no one told me you should take the wheels off the car to do it, but I did have 5 (including the spare) to use, I obviously did not think it through to well as we only had a foot pump in those days and it took an age to get Road worthy again!😂🤣😜😳

Edited By Nigel Dell on 10/05/2017 08:34:03

When it comes to paint its good old humbrol for me. I will use the flair spectrum as well, but their batch variation is huge. The hobby flight paints from kings lynn are also really good but they sell out of popular colours quite quickly

The German stuff is so random in the way its painted and there are so many variations , you cant really get it wrong.

The big danger (I hear this all the time on the phone) is that when people try to do the first "paint job " they understandable think that if you buy the most expensive gear it will be the right thing to do . That means a dual action airbrush of around £100 , then a compressor etc. The problem is that those things are fussy and they were designed for Airfix kits which are about 12 times smaller .

I would rather people start with simple and cheap , You will be amazed at what you can do and all the more fun telling people , when they compliment your finish , that you used £3 of paint a car tyre and some sharpie felt pens .devil

I fuel proof as normal with Deluxe 2000 or aerokote . But my Ju88 is not fuel proofed at all . I simply dont leave it in the rain . It looks fine after two years , If youre flying electric , why bother ?

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 10/05/2017 09:01:40:

The German stuff is so random in the way its painted and there are so many variations , you cant really get it wrong.

The big danger (I hear this all the time on the phone) is that when people try to do the first "paint job " they understandable think that if you buy the most expensive gear it will be the right thing to do . That means a dual action airbrush of around £100 , then a compressor etc. The problem is that those things are fussy and they were designed for Airfix kits which are about 12 times smaller .

I would rather people start with simple and cheap , You will be amazed at what you can do and all the more fun telling people , when they compliment your finish , that you used £3 of paint a car tyre and some sharpie felt pens .devil

I fuel proof as normal with Deluxe 2000 or aerokote . But my Ju88 is not fuel proofed at all . I simply dont leave it in the rain . It looks fine after two years , If youre flying electric , why bother ?

Agreed 100% if I did not need airbrushes for my ceramics restoration years ago I would not have bothered with half of the equipment I have, really needed them for that, they are good for adding detailing but for the basic painting a touching gun as you describe Richard is what gets used the most and does basically everything you need if you feel the need to spray at all.

First off.....Hey Nigel, good to see you back Buddy, I can see it now, a beautiful model, and a car down to its rims......laugh

How funny was that, I'm still Chuckling here at Dibley Towers

Second, Yes I totally agree that we should stay simple for the masses, but I have all that gear from years back, airbrushes and the like, a little compressor and a million tins of humbrol etc.

It is tempting to have a go at the match pots, but my OCD is telling me Nooooooooooooooooooo...frownindecision

I think the next model will be the one to experiment on, could be the big LA7 ????? or another twin, what you reckon Richy Baby ????

I certainly don't want to put people off the paint job, so if you are unsure go simple, dulux and some phuff from a bike tyre....( I got 110 psi in my tyres) or even hand paint. Even tho I have all the gear, that's what I mostly do, but I do invest in good brushes, as they will last an age if you look after them.

The important thing here is to have fun, and don't over think or stress yourselves out, it's only wood. (going for catchphrase status here) wink

Hey Paulo, there are some very good lighting kits to be had for night flying Dood........laugh

Keep a straight guys and you will be laughing !!

D.D.

P.S.

For those interested, Phil says he has a lot of German colours, the the Brit and USAF colours ( more popular) are the ones that are low. He has the Sand colour. YAY !!

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 10/05/2017 09:43:12