Do you keep a log (book) ??

Advert

Hi David,

Yes, I have done ever since I first flew, back in 1997. Yes, I think it is useful to keep track of how often I fly, which models, conditions and what I did / practised. I also record wind conditions and number of flights at each session. I have a 'chapter' in the note book for each model I own.

I also find it immensely useful to keep track of trim changes, C of G alterations and any other modifications I make to the model memory (mixes, throws etc.) I am a relatively infrequent flyer (I haven't flown since July last year, due to family commitments) so it is very useful to recall where I am with each model.

David. I use an app on my I Phone called T3chDad. A log of aircraft flights , notes of anything you wish , plus batteries. Cost a couple of quid. It's useful for an accurate use of the model and batteries and for the sake of argument I cost a flight out as a quid on a nominal basis. Can't even get a coffee for that ! Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 01/03/2017 12:17:38

I keep a log (actually an excel spreadsheet) of fligths and dates on each aircraft I own (not actual minutes though).

It's most useful for when SWMBO says "You are always down at the flying field". I have facts and figures, "....well actually, on averagre its only once a week, and I haven't actually flown since last Thursday...."

Its also really useful to know how often you have flown a particular model, and to know how long since you last flew a particular one. Its amazing that some of them havent flown for over a year and some models quickly rack up a hundred flights. I also note the weather in broad terms.

Tim

Posted by Tim Cheal on 01/03/2017 12:15:32:

It's most useful for when SWMBO says "You are always down at the flying field". I have facts and figures, "....well actually, on averagre its only once a week, and I haven't actually flown since last Thursday...."

I hadn't thought of that. You are a far braver man than I...

Yes, I keep a log of each model in the form of a simple spreadsheet. Each models sheet is inserted into an A5 sized folder which I take to the field. I am the only one to do so in my club and I get constant ribbing about it.

"Los Ingleses, que estranjo eres"

I used to record almost everything; weather conditions, location, etc but now I simply concentrate on flight No and the battery used. All my lipos are numbered for reference. I fly 100% electric and I use the log to record which battery was used with each model. At the end of a flight I tick the appropriate box. Then, when the battery is recharged the amount of charge then gets recorded in the appropriate space in the log. This allows me to both monitor (albeit crudely) all the batteries over a period of time and keep track of which battery was last used in which model.

I also record basic info of each model on the sheet. Name, weight empty and AUW, CofG plus the date of the maiden. I also include control throws and rates along with details of any mixes used in the Tx along with which switches are used to control any additional features, etc.

Is it beneficial? For me absolutely! I think it must be a form of OCD.

I have over 20 flyable models all of which are powered by lipos of various sizes. Of course, some of those lipos are used in more than one model. Without my simple flight log I would be totally lost as to which battery was used in which model, etc. Additionally, I find it interesting to look at a log of a particular model and note that the next flight will be flight number 300 for example, whereas another model might have only a few flights to its name.

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 01/03/2017 13:03:48

Edited By Steve Colman on 01/03/2017 13:04:46

I started keeping a log, on an Excel spreadsheet, mainly to record lipo usage. I use my TX timer to give flight times per flight and record against each model. I add some general notes about the days flying, any lessons learned or good and bad flights. So I know how many flights and times per model and in total.

One handy thing you learn is about cost per flight. My favourite plane cost me about £250 but with 360 flights that's only 69p per flight, a bargain!

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 01/03/2017 15:07:19

I've kept a log book since 1991, recording aircraft flown, fuel used, weather conditions and any mishaps on take off and landing and of course any terminal arrivals. Also, in the my early days I also used to record what instructor taught me that day.

Looking back it is suprising how many aircraft I have flown / built and repaired.

Regards

Robert

Yes I do & very much in keeping with others above. I have one spreadsheet file with different worksheets but same layout for each model. I record the build date, the date / location / duration of flights, including taxiing, note any maintenance problems, describe the weather in general terms and note the kind of flying I do. I summarise the number of flights by model / year. The main benefit as I fly mostly IC is to keep a log of engine running time in readiness for overhauls etc.

It is interesting for me to note trends but of no practical value to anyone else. In a similar vein I keep a spreadsheet record of my fleet and associated field equipment etc with the technical details / costs. This is for insurance purposes but I keep that file well away from the prying eyes of SWMBO 😜

Jon

Posted by Donald Fry on 01/03/2017 17:42:51:

I don't, and I wish perhaps I did. I have nowadays kept a notebook with a section for each aircraft, for notes on set up, cg movements, and anything else I think relevant.

Me to...I wish I had started one but it's too late now.

David,

I keep one - an Excel spreadsheet that logs flight time, weather conditions, landings, trim changes, modifications and any other remarks that are worthy of note.

I started a number of years ago just to see how many hours each airframe flies and was quite surprised by the interesting data. Useful to know what gear is fitted so you can keep a track over the fleet and as a diary when my wife tells me I am always at the club. No sure whether it is my OCDs getting involved or my full size mindset but it works for me.

Rob

I keep one, started 7/8 years ago, just a short log. Date, which plane, how many flights and brief weather info. Also any damage picked up, changes made. If nothing else its proved to me that weather systems have changed over the years. Certainly last years number of windy days. But im sure I must be Ocd as well!

We've kept a hand written log book, now several hand written log books since we started in 1992. They are just normal A5 hardback notebooks.

Date

Model

Number of flights in the session

Rolling total of flights

General comments about weather, good/bad landings, scuffs or bumps

Technical comments if necessary, eg servo replacements, prop changes.

Its very useful, particularly if looking for specific changes to set-up, radio etc, the age of engines, radio, batteries and of course the model. Its amazing how you remember particular events and recall them being more recent than they actually were.

CB