Traplet

Tony Bennett

Advert

According to Danny Fenton in his Hawker Fury thread Traplet are in trouble. He wrote earlier. ..

"I am not sure of all the facts but I heard that Traplet went into receivership this morning, so where that leaves us with regard the plans and parts we have ordered I do not know. I have not received any of my order yet.

As soon as i hear more I will let you know. It is shocking news, the modelling mag industry is having a hrad time indeed, but I didn't realise Traplet were so vulnerable.

Cheers

Danny"

Edited By David Ovenden on 19/07/2017 22:28:19

I thought the writing was on the wall recently when RC MODEL WORLD went over to only having free plan bi-monthly. I wrote Kevin Krozier, the editor, to register my concern that it might be thin end of the wedge for that particular publication, pointing out that that was exactly the way it's sister publication Quiet and Electric flight went! His reply was that QEFI closed due to poor advertising revenue. It didn't occur to me that the whole company may be struggling. If that is the case it will be a great loss!

If Traplet are in the hands of an official receiver, then at least there is the possibility of the company being restructured and trimmed down into a leaner and more relevant entity than before. As far as I'm aware they have quite a footing in the huge USA market, so maybe something can be saved there, although what good that will do UK modellers, I'm not sure.

I don't buy magazines of any type, so I and many others like me are part of the problem for publishers (excluding the BMFA offering, where we have no choice) but browsing those in the supermarket, many titles appear to me to be very much aimed at the older (and naturally shrinking) age range of the market. Just off the top of my head, I recall seeing mags on woodworking, patchwork, classic cars and motor bikes, caravaning, motor homes, various historical titles..........I think you get the idea.

OK there's the gaming magazines and weekly celebrity gossip dross mags that sell in droves to younger types, so perhaps going down-market is the way to go?crying .

Just as building your own models is regaining in popularity after the ARTF mania, we find a major supplier of plans and parts has its future in doubt. A big set-back for our hobby, and a position that will do no us no good at all, whether one flys models for fun or earns a living from them.

One of the worries is that Traplet has the vast majority of the back catalogue of British model plans now since they have all the old RCME, RM, RCSQ,etc as well as their own RCMW etc. The majority of all the plans ever published in England!

( I think ADH can still supply AMI, RC Flyer plans and the modern Aeromodeller may supply their own plans too )

I would expect that if this is indeed a major problem requiring 'restructuring' , the odds are good that the plans will reappear at some point.

There is a small but steady amount of business to be had selling plans and the overheads should not be high. Not a great money spinner probably!

kc.

The plans archive is a "tangible asset", so they add value to the publication if anyone is interested. Failing that, the best place for the receivers to dispose of them (they are very bulky and heavy) would be the BMFA. they (now) have the space and the plans do have great historical value in the context of our hobby (not forgetting model boats as well).

Professionally produced magazines are and always were about one thing. Selling advertising. Every title in every genre is probably run by enthusiastic (small) teams of people who's job it is to fill the blank pages between the adverts with information which will sell the publication to its readers. This they all seem to do very well. However if the advertising department can't sell their space, then that's where it all falls down. No matter how popular the title is with its readers.

As has been said before, Younger people don't read magazines. If they want information, or visual entertainment they all go to the same place (the same can be said for a lot of older people as well). I can see a time coming when the magazines become less regular, but with more (advertising) content. As for the small teams of dedicated magazine producers. They will probably diversify their talents across several publications within the same company.

I've just bought the August edition of RC Model World.

There is a small piece on page eight that says the MyHobbyStore website is now being directed to Trapletshop.com

This could be why the Traplet website is closed.

Martin.

Edited By Martin Gay on 20/07/2017 12:08:57

Kevin, I remember what happened to the US RC Modeler plans - they have just disappeared from the market! People were so concerned they scanned and cleaned up all the ones they could find and they now appear on Outerzone etc.

Martyn, I hope you paid by a credit card which will give protection to your money.

Posted by Martin Gay on 20/07/2017 12:05:26:

I've just bought the August edition of RC Model World.

There is a small piece on page eight that says the MyHobbyStore website is now being directed to Trapletshop.com

This could be why the Traplet website is closed.

Martin.

Edited By Martin Gay on 20/07/2017 12:08:57

The website is closed cos they've gone bust...

Posted by kevin b on 20/07/2017 10:50:46:

kc.

The plans archive is a "tangible asset", so they add value to the publication if anyone is interested. Failing that, the best place for the receivers to dispose of them (they are very bulky and heavy) would be the BMFA. they (now) have the space and the plans do have great historical value in the context of our hobby (not forgetting model boats as well).

These days plans are stored as PDF or similar files so no bulky storage needed.

Posted by Peter Miller on 20/07/2017 12:18:32:
Posted by kevin b on 20/07/2017 10:50:46:

kc.

These days plans are stored as PDF or similar files so no bulky storage needed.

IIRC when Bill Burkinshaw stepped down as editor of RCM&E he & ANOther started a project to digitise existing plans. That was back in the late '80's or early '90s. Dunno how much progress was made or whether it became policy to digitise new plans as they appeared.
I do know that some of the freebie plans from the then Aeromodeller/RCM&E/Silent flight etc group were never made available for seperate purchase.

Yes Peter, I agree.

That is how it has been since about 1980, but the vast majority of the X-Plans are still stored as paper, or dyeline copies and they still are taking up a lot of space. Many of them are now unusable due to the ravages of time and quite a few have been lost during various mergers and take-overs. The best place for them would be with the BMFA so that "volunteers" could be used to restore them. It would be a huge job which from a normal business point of view would not be viable.