Proposed new drone legislation/registration

OK - the article does say 'drones' but, technically any remotely controlled aerial vehicle is a 'drone' (and has been since the days of the De Havilland Queen Bee) so action needs to be started now before some civil servant insists that all flying objects over 250 grammes will have to be registered. This happened in the uS (although I believe that has now been rescinded - maybe one of our trans-atlantic cousins can give us an update on that).

The article was in the Independent and does appear to be using the usual 'scare tactics' of claiming that they can be used by terrorists, people smuggling drugs, etc into prisons. What we need to be careful about is that it's made abundantly clear that fixed wing models are very unlikely to be used to drop supplies of whatever into Dartmoor.

Advert

The logical answer is this.

you are proven legitimate within a club environment before you can purchase any model over 2kg including more than 4 channel radio. once this is accepted your bmfa or maaa insurance etcetera will restrict you to buying inappropriate models and equipment..

i hate beauracracy they make many silly rules but this is an issue.

Posted by bouncebounce crunch on 22/07/2017 07:03:13:

The logical answer is this.

you are proven legitimate within a club environment before you can purchase any model over 2kg including more than 4 channel radio. once this is accepted your bmfa or maaa insurance etcetera will restrict you to buying inappropriate models and equipment..

i hate beauracracy they make many silly rules but this is an issue.

That might work for a percentage of sales - but what about the Internet sales from overseas ???

While I strongly advocate club membership I would hesitate before making it a legal requirement,

Sounds like they want to register users (pilots) and make sure they are aware of the safety rules, this will probably apply to all model fliers not just multi-rotor pilots.

As regards the US the need to register was overturned, but is now being re-introduced https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2925228-AMA-Pushing-a-New-Bill-So-we-all-can-register-all-over-again%21%21

Only 213 model flyers responded to the consultation. That will make the government think they won't up set many people when they start to make up silly rules to stop us flying. Once again it's ruining a past time for the many because of the stupid actions of a few. I know the BMFA is watching these rules coming out but I think we should all be aware now before the government sneak them under the door before we get a chance to oppose them in numbers.

Clearly a Government press release of this morning: Following consultation, all drones over 250g will have to be registered, and I will have to undergo "Safety Awareness Training".

I have a very limited number of "drones" currently in flying condition, 6, with 4 kits that I intend to complete in the next year or so - do I get a bulk discount rate?

Does my 50 years of model flying, BMFA B, BMFA FW Instructor, and LMA Cert mean that I still have to pay to sit through a day of Safety Awareness Training? Presumably with "Active Participation".

I know that most forum members will have considerably more "drones" than I, perhaps a survey is called for? Will this spark a new interest in 249g models? Would large numbers of 249g models cause new concerns about an increase of flying in local parks?

Feel free to discusssmiley

John

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 22/07/2017 13:37:40

This will probably seem a tad controversial, but I really don't care:

Personally, I regard drones as the biggest threat to the continued existence of our cherished hobby. . Therefore I would like to see Drone operators (I won't call them pilots) coming under a similar scrutiny as people who apply for a firearms licence.

Anyone wanting one would have to undergo a background check and give convincing reasons for wanting one before being granted a licence to purchase one..... and the licence should be expensive.

Then, and only then, could someone buy one. . . After that -- and before any flights can be done -- the Drone operator would have to apply for a Provisional Flying Licence, and would have six months in which to pass practical tests with regards to their piloting ability and an awareness of the law. All of these flights should be fully documented and have a police-approved witness to confirm them. . Also, a drone should be kept in a locked cabinet and its Tx in a separate locked cabinet (just like firearms).

Any test failure would mean the licence being removed for ten years.

Anyone caught flying one without a licence should face a minimum of 10 years in jail.

B.C.

Posted by Steve J on 22/07/2017 09:10:05:

The government response has indeed appeared -

**LINK**

213 people who said that they flew model aircraft responded to the consultation.

Steve

Only 213? That is depressing. We have about 36,000 BMFA members and less than 0.6% of them responded to the consultation. Where was everybody else? I know the consultation was mentioned on here a few times (eg. here, here, and here.) Should we have made it more prominent? I hope I'm not the only person from here to have responded! Who were the other 212?

Drone cont

1. an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously,without human control or beyond line of sight:
    the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
  2. (loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely:
    a radio-controlled drone.
a person who lives on the labor of others; parasitic loafer.

Posted by Brian Cooper on 22/07/2017 10:07:31:

This will probably seem a tad controversial, but I really don't care:

Personally, I regard drones as the biggest threat to the continued existence of our cherished hobby. . Therefore I would like to see Drone operators (I won't call them pilots) coming under a similar scrutiny as people who apply for a firearms licence.

Anyone wanting one would have to undergo a background check and give convincing reasons for wanting one before being granted a licence to purchase one..... and the licence should be expensive.

Then, and only then, could someone buy one. . . After that -- and before any flights can be done -- the Drone operator would have to apply for a Provisional Flying Licence, and would have six months in which to pass practical tests with regards to their piloting ability and an awareness of the law. All of these flights should be fully documented and have a police-approved witness to confirm them. . Also, a drone should be kept in a locked cabinet and its Tx in a separate locked cabinet (just like firearms).

Any test failure would mean the licence being removed for ten years.

Anyone caught flying one without a licence should face a minimum of 10 years in jail.

B.C.

Really???! And what about the hundred thousand drones already out there? What about the drones home built? What about the drones bought from overseas? I'm glad you aren't in charge of this...

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 22/07/2017 03:05:18:

The article was in the Independent and does appear to be using the usual 'scare tactics' of...

Please don't make the mistake of confusing the website bearing the "Independent" name with the now-defunct newspaper that once went under the same name.

The website is (in my opinion!) a scummy, tabloid-style, click-bait infested site. Check any claims they make to see if they can actually quote a source...

Edited By John Privett on 22/07/2017 11:00:41

From what I have read it's very similar to the EASA proposals. Height limit of 400ft (doesn't specify if this can be amended by representations) and if in a club, no registration. Other than that it doesn't say a great deal.

It's high level at the moment, so will, no doubt be amended over time.

I would be keen to see heights for under, say 6lbs be limited to 1200ft at established model flying sites registered on the notams map. This would allow for gliding to continue as is.