Going to the Shows: What does your pitch comprise of:

Paul Marsh

Advert

At my first Nats, aged about 14, I camped with mate in an ex army two berth ridge thing. A Primus, a few tins of beans and some eggs saw us through, enjoying full days of mini control line flying. Later, when I started to enter the F3A comps I had a very old frame tent which got totally destroyed in the high wind at Hullavington.

I have had two or three caravans but only used one once for the Nats since backing one onto my drive was a nightmare.

I bought a long wheel base, high top Transit, supposedly for business reasons but did not in the end need it for that and decided to keep it. Best ever purchase because after insulating, ply lining and fitting out with a crude but functional kitchen comprising of a three burner cooker, sink with running water and a large fridge (Kamper Khasi too) and fold down bed I have never looked back. Great for my large models. The Stampe goes in easily without de rigging. I also take a three man Vango tent to house the models at events ( and a mate who has to share it with them).

Posted by ken anderson. on 05/08/2017 16:43:39:

since the 90's I used a tent(basic one)...last time out was at greenacre's.i also have a caravan which I use for trip's with mrs A.nowt like living the dream getting a wash and tidy up in your bathroom in the tent(dish of water) and cooking al a carte on your one ring stove which also double's up as your heating also...at one with nature etc....

ken Anderson...ne...1..... outdoors dept.

I know this is an old post (just on the year) and I know that Ken is alive and kicking on this forum so all is well.

HOWEVER

I must caution about using gas ring cookers as heaters. If you are enjoying the heat while cooking that's usually OK because you are concentrating on the cooking and if you are not then the smell of charred whatever should alert you soon enough.
Using the cooker as a heater has killed and still kills many people. You are relaxing in the warmth and fall asleep only you don't wake up. Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning has got you. Unless the ventilation is very good, you and the cooker gradually consume the oxygen. The gas ring is producing carbon monoxide all the time but as the oxygen depletes the rate if CO production increases.

When I was running a small marina I had a call from a mum who had not heard from her son for a week. Myself and colleague found him onboard his boat in his bunk. The police and ambulance were called but the only thing left to do was make that phone call to the mum.

This is not an isolated incident and is not confined to boats although they tend to be more dangerous. Any enclosed space will do. Visit MAIB to see how easily this can happen.

Please be careful.

Levanter

My dad owned a caravan...I never have. Being an hgv driver for 30 years dragging one of those around on my days off would be hell on wheels. So ,no Tom , you haven’t. Having said that, wife ,kids and I did a lot of European holidays with Keycamp using static vans...great times, so yes, you have.. I don’t do canvas, hate it.

Still, that’s me. Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes

during the early 90's we used to camp at the Yorkshire airshow,elvington(great memories of a great show wk/end.) Anyway one morning waking up after an evening at the naffi it looked like a tornado had been through our set ups,after a bit of an enquiry it was found out that some of the residents had had too much falling down juice and in the darkness had demolished best part of our tents c/w the occupants inside,who were also comatosed ...happy days I hear you say.....especially the ones who are readers on this here forum.....the reward is still standing for their capture...teeth 2 .

ken anderson...ne...1..... when show's were show's dept.

I enjoy the caravan, camping aspect. When I was younger, in the ATC, used to go camping and it was fun. Before I had a caravan, I did the shows in a tent, was ok, but took the whole car, just for camping stuff, and maybe a couple of models, perhaps.

The caravan is a sort-of another hobby, and towing isn't too bad, as long as the car's big enough and has plenty of power. It feels even with this 1.5 tonne caravan, it doesn't matter - just top speed is affected, and journey times are hardly extended - in-fact you can almost forget there is a van connected to the car, as long as the weights are right and loaded correctly.

Think I will always have a caravan, they are brilliant and home from home. Especially the British weather, if it chucks down, put the heater on, kettle on and chill...

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 01/08/2018 13:24:30:

As above I mentioned that I had never slept in a tent or a caravan in my life

Poor chap, never been in the Scouts when you were younger? Being out-doors it is a must, remember doing my Duke of Edinburgh Silver, sleeping outside in a Vango Force 10 tent, in Feb, where it was so cold, we had to use our Trange to defrost the zip!!!

Well, I was a boy scout for a while and I've googled "Trange" but the nearest I can come up with is Transgender...I'm not sure that it would be acceptable to the DoE scheme to abuse someone celebrating their diversity in this manner so please expand on this item of equipment for those who haven't been on the course...

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/08/2018 13:24:14:

Posted by Paul Marsh on 01/08/2018 11:40:14:

and journey times are hardly extended

Probably because you're stuck in the queue behind the first caravan! cheeky

Right...don’t start me off please. Why is it holiday makers run you off the road driving down the A30 to get here.....................then insist on doing 38.999999999999mph everywhere when they get unpackeddisgust.

Well off topic...I expect a severe flogging from a mod now

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/08/2018 16:29:53:

Well, I was a boy scout for a while and I've googled "Trange" but the nearest I can come up with is Transgender...I'm not sure that it would be acceptable to the DoE scheme to abuse someone celebrating their diversity in this manner so please expand on this item of equipment for those who haven't been on the course...

It'll be the Trangia stove set - a meths burner and pot assembly, windproof and guaranteed to burn your fingers, nose and eyebrows at some time....teeth 2

The modern ones have a gas option for the softy generation.....wink 2

Pete