Rabbit Problems

cymaz

Just had a very heated club meeting.....the subject of rabbits came up. We have been having rabbit problems for several decades. In the last few years the amount of damage caused by them digging shallow scrapes in the field landing strip has become intolerable..

We have several options

1. Rabbit proof fencing around the entire boundary
  2. Regular shooting
  3. Putting down a smelly deterrent

I have read that ground coffee waste is a good way of stopping rabbits moving onto land. Has anyone had the same problem and did the coffee waste help?

Advert

Good luck with that one ! We have had regular visits from shooter who lamp the rabbits and take away loads but it hardly makes any difference. Tried loads of smelly deterents .............they don't work either. We used to have loads of stoats but they disappeared . Best of luck .

PS if you find something that works please let us know.

We had exactly the same problems. We tried everything we could find, garlic based stuff as used on golf courses, chilli powder mixed into the top soil that we filled the holes with, nothing worked. We had regular work parties to fill the holes in, men with guns came to shoot the rabbits, nothing worked. Our solution was to lay an Astroturf runway. Expensive but it works and is very popular. We were given as much Astroturf as we wanted when a school replaced their hockey pitch. Old Astroturf is like old tyres, very hard to recycle so they were pleased we took some. We had to pay to move it and lay it but it was worth it for us. We've now got a smooth, all weather runway which is of no interest to the rabbits.

It's funny but we have lots of rabbits on the airfield (though they seem fewer lately) but we've never had a problem on the grass patch at the side of the hard tarmac. I have seen stoats a couple of times so perhaps they're keeping the bunnies in check. Buzzards are also common - do they predate on rabbits?

The main problem on the grass is motorcycles who ride on some of the old airfield and stray onto our bit sometimes when we're not flying. Unfortunately, shooting isn't an option in that case devil

Geoff

Got two, called whippets. You have to do the mantra in the UK I believe, "honest officer, as God is my judge, I did not think they would catch a rabbit. What, a whippet chases a rabbit, who would have thought it. But officer, after the fist pair, I thought they would be tired, dear lads." And so on.

Mind, get a bloke with a gun in. A good whippet can do 400, 500 rabbits a year. That is the output of a very lazy bloke with a 410 shotgun.

But the dog caught stuff is without lead when eaten. Stewed with apple, or prune, Devine.

But Cymas, make your strip a bit bigger if Astroturfed. Has less rolling resistance than grass.

The strip cymas is talking about is already 20m wide and 100m long, thats a lot plus there is a cross strip for tangent wind days of about 25m of that. and it is well dug by the rabbits and getting worse each year, Astroturf is a goood idea but i think the size might need to be shrunk a bit, since the sheep have been removed from the field a few years ago this is become a factor. I vote for astro turf

Posted by flight1 on 14/10/2017 20:00:04:

The strip cymas is talking about is already 20m wide and 100m long, thats a lot plus there is a cross strip for tangent wind days of about 25m of that. and it is well dug by the rabbits and getting worse each year, Astroturf is a goood idea but i think the size might need to be shrunk a bit, since the sheep have been removed from the field a few years ago this is become a factor. I vote for astro turf

Rich, Mike also thinks the astroturf is a winner, does he?

Edited By cymaz on 14/10/2017 20:12:49

Posted by cymaz on 14/10/2017 20:11:42:
Posted by flight1 on 14/10/2017 20:00:04:

Rich, Mike also thinks the astroturf is a winner, does he?

Edited By cymaz on 14/10/2017 20:12:49

YUP

We tried all these approaches but they all take up too much time. No-one wants to go to the club field everynight for an hour or two to shoot rabbits or chase them with ferrets. We spent a fortune on proprietary anti rabbit products, even buying a purpose made spreader to drag behind the mower dispensing whatever it was. Everything failed, this was over a series of years that we tried, all without success. The AstroTurf is not cheap to lay but it is maintenance free, the rabbits go elsewhere, we get a fantastic surface to fly from and our flying has improved now there is a definite target to land on. Small foams with their tiny retracts love the surface. Nothing damages the surface, big glow powered props make no impact on it at all. After a couple of years we extended the area because we liked it so much.

The downside is the costs to fetch it from your donor and have it laid I'm afraid.

Edited By Bucksboy on 15/10/2017 19:32:48