Favourite Tools...

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

When I was a boy, I worked at a steel plant, recovery driver.Three wagons I remember.

A truck, you climbed a long ladder to the cab, no sinc on the box, power assisted clutch. Total bitch to drive.

A tracked coke pusher, the blade was about 5 meters by three. I hit a car in that one day. Because the throttle was a torque converter, I realised I had collected a load by a faint increase in engine noise, and it climbed slightly. The bloke in the Ford Capri looked worried as that was the bit where I had crushed is moter into the floor, and was climbing over his windscreen.

But, the dream machine, a scaper. It had a hopper in the middle, a blade, and you drove over material, and scraped it into the hopper, 50, 80 tons a scrape. About a hundred feet long, huge Rolls Royce motor at the front, and another at the back. Air con, torque converter throttle. Comfort.

Posted by John Timmis on 27/10/2017 10:22:33:

Winch launching gliders. Lots of power under your thumb. 8 litre chevy engine, 400hp, 0-60 in 3 sec. Great.

Especially when, having misheard the radio, instead of a big, heavy, fibreglass two seater rising before one's eyes, a lightweight wood and fabric glider rockets skywards, having gone from 0 to lots and lots in a blink of an eye... surprise

Been on the receiving end of that too!