Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

Advert

It may have been asked before, but it’s a big thread so apologies in advance.

How does one actually buy an engine from Laser engines, many show in stock on the website but there doesn’t appear (on an iPad at least) any button to actually “buy”?

in fact, the engine I want is currently out of stock, but when it does become available I don’t want to lose the chance whilst trying to work out how to buy it 🤓.

I’ve always coveted a laser V Twin, and I now have a Jiant Jabberwock that I think the laser V 200 would fit perfectly, especially as I really do not like the smell of petrol in my workshop.

+1 Ring Jon, see where he is with engine production and what is likely to be coming up. I have always found Jon helpful and he will assist where he can, but twins have been on the back burner for some time.

I have a 180 and it pulls very well on the recommended prop and would say it "prefers" 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for best results (sounds really nice) and don't get me wrong it can do WOT if needed.

I send the 180's in the larger brown box to prevent them being damaged in the post. The 180 is a bit of a squeeze in the white boxes and leaves little room for padding, especially when going internationally.

We used to take the carbs off to prevent damage but found that about half of our customers plugged it in the wrong hole despite a helpful diagram on the instructions so i ship them with the carb on.

Personalised stamping on the lugs has been dropped for a variety of reasons.

Hi chaps I wonder if you can give advice on a new heavy duty engine starter? I currently mostly have been using a chicken stick to flick start and sometimes my small Sullivan 12v starter for my engines. The Sullivan just about starts most of my engines. I power it on an old fashioned 12v lead acid flight box battery. 
For my latest Laser 200v my starter struggles to turn it over in the cold due to lack of momentum with twin cylinders. By the way I’m obviously making sure there is no hydraulic lock etc! 

I can’t easily seem to flick start it either. I borrowed a club mates Align starter today that worked well but wondered if you folks had any recommendations?
Just Engines seem to do two geared starters a large and small that are reasonably priced . Would their geared smaller versions. Be better than my small Sullivan on 12v? Thank you!

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 18:32:26

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 18:34:37

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 18:35:11

Posted by Ron Gray on 23/03/2020 18:37:14:

Hi Tim, I use the HD one from Just Engines with an old 6s (well 5s as one cell is dead) to power it. No problem turning over any of my Lasers or my gassers.

Spooky...I use exactly the same set-up with a 6S that had a cell cooked by an incorrectly specified motor pre-installed in a Hobbyking Hawker Hunter. To their credit, after some initial discussion, HK admitted the error and replaced the burnt out EDF unit and battery. A bit of internal reconfiguration provided me with a 5S battery that was/is perfectly adequate for the task of powering my starter.

The larger starter works with any engine that has come its way - the only shortcoming is that on a pair of Lead Acid batteries - and to a lesser extent on the 20 odd volts supplied by the LiPo - the switch contacts have a tendency to weld together...a flick or five on the switch usually frees them!

Very disappointed with my Just Engines starter.

Contacts welded up on 4S once after only a few times using it.

The main shaft gear is located on the shaft by a small pin that fits like a very cheap key, but mine has no means of preventing it falling out. Just seems to ride into the plastic housing and disengage.

Oh and the cone nut was forever undoing itself at the most inconvenient times.

Would not buy another one

PS - the battery cage was not de-burred at all, in fact some of the edges were sharp enough to shave with!

i used the smaller JE geared starter but eventually burnt it out by running too many volts. I picket up the bigger one and i use it with a 6s lipo. The switch welds on 50% of the time but a sharp crack with my wooden starter stick free's it up. One day i will get a proper switch for it and mod the thing but for now its doing fine.

This is a good time to bring the subject of hand starting Laser engines up.

Electric starters are okay, but they mess the ali spinners up, good news they keep my fingers out of the prop arc!

Jon, what's your recommendation on hand starting (all sizes) of engine and the best technique?

Can you reverse flick them?