Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

Advert

About to put my Laser 75 back into service in a Flair Bristol F2B. Yes I know the recommended engine would be an 80 but the 75 is the largest I have available.

So have not had the engine apart since I purchased it about 10 years ago so thought I would at least have a peak inside. Having removed the front crankshaft assembly was pleasantry surprised to find it pretty clean inside so declined to dismantle the engine further.

However I will check the tappets, so what clearance do you suggest Jon?

Also I assume a 13x6 is ok for this application or can I get away with a 14inch prop?

We discontinued the 75 back in 1992 so if you bought it new 10 years ago its not a 75 and probably a 70. If its a 70 then 13x6 is fine. If you arent sure what the engine is, grab a photo and we can sort it. 

Ok so this is not a particularlarly technical question but I am finishing off the construction of a DB Sport & Scale Auster. https://www.dbsportandscale.com/auster-j1-6515-p.asp

I have three unemployed Laser engines, one of which will be fitted into this model and one of the other two will fit my Warbirds Replica Hurricane once I get around to building it. The engines in question are a Laser 70, a Laser 80 and an old but very strong Laser 75.

Which would you fit to the Auster?

Auster (2).JPG

The 75 or the 80. They are almost identical in terms of external dimensions and will offer plenty of power for the Auster. Whichever one is left over can go i the Hurricane. 

As i commented on another thread a few minutes ago i would ditch the hardwood rails and modify the model to take a nylon mount. Its gong to be much better in the long run

Ok John. I would like to fit the later silencer to the 75, I've run the engine successfully on my test stand using a silencer borrowed from a Laser 70. With the original silencer it was too noisy.

Is the silencer available as a spare? If so how much is it? I will be visiting England in August so i'll give you an English address to send it to.

we no longer make exhausts for the 75 and our current design will not fit. If the exhaust you stole from the 70 has a single O ring then stick that on the 75 and i can supply a new one for the 70. 

Jon couple more queries also related to the Laser 75 exhaust.

What threading are the grub screws securing the exhaust and what size is the O ring.

Had to turn the exhaust to make it fit in the Flair Bristol and found one of the exhaust screws very tight so had to resort to brute force rather than an allen key and once I removed the exhaust I found the o ring could do with being replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

My 300v twin has just had an intake valve spring fail. Fortunately this happened on the ground before flying. I can't see any signs of rust on the spring  (see pictures ). The engine was running at about 7700-7800 rpm max on the ground (Menz 20x7) so I don't think the rpms were too high.

Did I just have bad luck or am I doing something wrong? Or is it an issue with a bad batch of springs or something and should I change all the springs for the peace of mind? Anything to be doen to prevent this happening again?

Anyways, how do I carry out the spring replacement? Shall I loosen the small phillips screw in middle and then screw the axle out? Anything else that I should take in consideration?

another thing: I'm planning to borrow one spring from my 240V to be ably to fly without much of delays - I suppose the spring is the same on both engines?

thanks, Artto

IMG-1938.jpg

IMG-1937.jpg

I changed the springs on a 150 and if I remember correctly the rocker pivot has to be removed to lift the rockers clear of the valve stems. The tricky bit is to remove the collets without losing them, it's best to order a few spares along with the new springs. Also, there are spacers on the pivot bar which are awkward to get back into position when putting it all back together.

2 hours ago, Artto Ilmanen said:

Shall I loosen the small phillips screw in middle and then screw the axle out?

Probably just a slip of terminology but that looks like a Posidriv screw - if so, please use the correct driver as a Phillips driver is likely to damage the head.  Perhaps Jon can confirm?

27 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Probably just a slip of terminology but that looks like a Posidriv screw - if so, please use the correct driver as a Phillips driver is likely to damage the head.  Perhaps Jon can confirm?

After having had a second look it is actually a posidriv screw. Thanks for notifying, Martin 

Edited by Artto Ilmanen

6 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

When I tried the poly bag thing it just fogged up with condensation and I couldn't see a thing so I always do it very carefully out on the bench.

I put mine over the engine's head, not mine,,,😄

I also put a magnet in the bag.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Magnet
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5