Filler for balsa/woods

Sid Dennis

Advert

I mix my own using either Micro balloons or Bucks Composites Super lite Fairing compound and emulsion paint, if you get the match pots you can get a near match to the wood, once done I have covered with transparent film and you don’t see it.

The secret is not to mix it too wet, goes on easily, dries quickly and sands perfectly, been doing it this way for years.

Edited By Nigel Dell on 21/12/2017 09:53:39

Posted by Nigel Dell on 21/12/2017 09:50:31:

I mix my own using either Micro balloons or Bucks Composites Super lite Fairing compound and emulsion paint, if you get the match pots you can get a near match to the wood, once done I have covered with transparent film and you don’t see it.

The secret is not to mix it too wet, goes on easily, dries quickly and sands perfectly, been doing it this way for years.

I like the sound of that as I find the commercial one pack fillers too powdery and quite liable to flake off. I had a polyester based two part extra light filler once upon a time that sanded like wood and actually bonded to the wood. Pity I can't remember what brand it was or where I got it from.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 21/12/2017 10:16:03:
Posted by Nigel Dell on 21/12/2017 09:50:31:

I like the sound of that as I find the commercial one pack fillers too powdery and quite liable to flake off. I had a polyester based two part extra light filler once upon a time that sanded like wood and actually bonded to the wood. Pity I can't remember what brand it was or where I got it from.

Yes Bob it works really well, you can experiment to find a formula that works for you, never had any let go and sands really easily so as not to damage the surrounding area, also only mix as much as you need, I had half a tub that went off hence me doing this, you can store it in an air tight container, I put a dampened piece of sponge in to help, you of course can do this with commercial products.

The best bit is the cost.

See if this helps

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=red+devil+filler+stockists+uk&oq=Red+Devil+filler&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.30516j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=red+devil+filler+stockists+uk&oq=Red+Devil+filler&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.30516j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Or google Red Devil filler and One time Filler or in fact any of the mentioned fillers. Uncle Google is very clever you know.laugh

I have recently used Ronseal wood filler. It dries quickly and sands easily but pongs a bit !

It comes as a moist compound that you add a proportionate catalyst to, much the same as epoxy glue. So far I have bought two tins, the first compound was coloured white and the other matched balsa colour. When it is set it is not so hard that sanding it on balsa is a problem.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi845zc9JvYAhUqBsAKHaGvCI0QuAIIezAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAjXUgsR5pFU&usg=AOvVaw1UVpA4ywsQP4wzWNfWYxbS

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/12/2017 20:17:29

Posted by Robert Parker on 21/12/2017 10:35:21:

John, the name you are thinking of is "One Time".

I do use it as well as One strike as Dennis has put up in the above post.

Both work well and a tub lasts for ages. When it dries out just add a little water and mix it in and your good to go.

Regards

Robert

Rather than adding water I revitalize mine with Poly C or the equivalent polyurethane floor varnish. I find it works well and seems to make the filler a little more resilient.

Hi all,

Reading Andy's comment about using PU floor varnish with the filler, It made me think about Freddie B's Secret Sauce.

I've used it - for foam as it is water based - on the Depron wings of my Ballerina but on the balsa LE and TE as well.

1986_test_primer_900.jpg

This is just a test piece of a wing section, with the foam at the top part, center section has the Freddie B 'sauce' sanded down and the bottom is primered and sanded too. One could never tell it's just 3mm Depron underneath.

For those interested, you can find it here by scrolling down on page 43 of the Bella build.

Maybe it could be of use to someone.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Percy Verance on 25/12/2017 08:49:58:

Not seen Advanced Polyfilla before Jon. In what way have they advanced it? Lighter perhaps?

Not sure, its just advanced I guess! I bought it from bnq a while back, it feels like the tub is empty even when new!