Antivirus Software

Nev

OK I can do computers but I’m not an expert, they irritate me too much.

Having recently purchased a new one for home, the old one went to the wall during a Windows update, it came with two free versions of antivirus software AVG and Malwarebytes. The only thing I know about either of those is the malware one crashed my PC at work following an update and hade to be uninstalled. I also have a subscription to McAfee from my old PC, which I have now also loaded onto the new one.

So the question is do I leave them all on, or are they just going to get in each other’s way. I’m thinking I should probably uninstall the free versions. But before I do anything silly is there anything I should watch out for.

Thanks Nev.

Advert

It is alwas best to have one anti virus software running on a pc so uninstall all of what you don't need. I use Windows Defender which is built into Windows 10( you just need to activate it) and its free never any issues i have noticed and then I run the free version of malwarebytes from time to time, also to keep things clean i have ccleaner to clean things up from time to time, with the last two if you pay then it ithey run automaticly

Posted by flight1 on 14/01/2018 21:35:12:

It is alwas best to have one anti virus software running on a pc so uninstall all of what you don't need. I use Windows Defender which is built into Windows 10( you just need to activate it) and its free never any issues i have noticed and then I run the free version of malwarebytes from time to time, also to keep things clean i have ccleaner to clean things up from time to time, with the last two if you pay then it ithey run automaticly

I do the same as you, flight1. I use the free MS Defender with Win 10, and run a free Malwarebytes scan to catch PUPs.

I also use Defender plus Malwarebytes (Full version when you first download for week or so). Never any problems.

My old PC (used as a sandbox) died on the latest MS updates but managed to get it to sort itself out by re-installing Windows 10 as one of its debugging options. Don't know if it will still keep going when it finally gets up to date again though!. It seems a lot quicker too.

There's no real time protection with Malwarebytes free version, it is just a scanner (albeit a good one). It just runs whenever you initiate it. With the current version you have to manually get it to download the latest database. Like others in this thread I use Windows Defender and do a monthly scan with Malwarebytes

Yeah, AVG also nags you to buy the full version. We run that on our old Windows Vista machine, and it's never been infected. I also installed it on our newer Windows 10 pc, but then had a conversation with a friend who fixes computers for a living. He said he always used to recommend AVG, but for Windows 10 the built in Defender was perfectly adequate. I've now uninstalled AVG and switched on Defender, no problems so far.

IMHO most of the time the best antivirus system is YOU - don't click on links in suspect emails and be careful which sites you visit. "Drive-by" infections and direct attacks are exceedingly unlikely to happen to a private user. The main targets are almost always bigger and richer commercial enterprises. Other than that I concur with using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

You know that advert, the “like getting your money’s worth” one. Well I paid for a 2 year Mcafee subscription on offer, which still has about 20 month to run. So that’s the one I’m sticking with for the moment. Although I’ve never had an issue with it I will probably switch to defender or a free one when it runs out.

I’ve uninstalled AVG so it doesn’t conflict. I haven’t uninstalled Malwarebytes yet, I’m assuming if it’s not running in the background it shouldn’t be a problem.

Thank for the input. Nev.

I have been using McAfee for the last 4 years not the cheapest in the world but i am pleased with its performance. Filters out a lot of the pop ups and warns you of possibly dubious sites, I also added to mobile phones and tablets for me and the wife. My view is you get what you pay for and if it's free it's free for a reason, it's all down to personal choice so go with whatever you feel comfortable with. We are doing more and more online transactions so we decided to invest in a little more security.

Paul.

Another vote for MS Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, although I use the Premium (paid for) version. Was a long time user of Kaspersky, but have recently uninstalled it. It has became too intrusive in blocking clean websites and appears to have compatibility problems with things like Trusteer Rapport and some browser add-ons.

I would also recommend regular use of CCleaner and/or Revo Uninstaller to keep things tidy, removes all the dross that accumulates in temp files and caches, which can slow things down considerably.

Having been a pc user for decades, the best AV solution is, get a Mac! I got sick of the bugs on pc’s and a friend of mine for years kept telling me to change to Mac. The change came when I bought a mini iPad for a holiday a few years ago. Best bit of kit. No AV software and years down the line still works as good as the day it was new. Now our household no longer uses pc’s.

We do use pc’s At work but the server has professional, robust AV software. The free MW software is good for home use, in fact Apple use it - if you get a (rare) bug on your Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Avast for more than a decade on any Windows machines. Magazines giving reviews usually put Bitdefender at the bottom of the heap.

Personally I've not used an antivirus programme for a decade as Linux seems to work OK without them, plus everything is free, plus no crashes every day as my partner's Windows machine does. Last major Windows problem needed an electric jigsaw and tin snips to fix.

Ever noticed that FREE software works and paid for software can often be dubious?

Over a fifteen year period up until a few years ago, I tried a lot of the standard anti-virus software packages from the awful Norton and criminal McHaffee to the dubious Russian Kapersky, all of which seemed to put malware onto one's machines and were quite difficult to get rid of. I eventually landed on Webroot, which I have now been using for about five years and which has performed with no problems or irritations

Avast! Free, if you want the basic, (but good enough protection) or pay and get the packages.

Had no problems, and it a highly recommended tool. Yeah, Norton is a nasty virus, in itself. If I get a computer with that on it, it's a total system wipe, as even un-installing Norton still can't get rid of it - nasty little virus!!! (as good/bad as.)