Hi all

anyone used sarik Hobbies? ordered a Laser cut kit etc on 04/01/18, on 17/01/18 got an email to tell me it will be a long wait for some of the order and they offered me the option of waiting for full order, sending part order and a full or partial refund, I opted for full refund since then nothing,

Just wanted to know whether anyone had probs getting thrir kits or money returned

David

That's not a very encouraging start for them.

I ordered a model flying DVD from Sarik some weeks back and although the item's package was factory sealed, one of the discs was damaged and unplayable. I contacted them and had a replacement item within a few days and a very nice phone call apologising for the problem.

My next build will come from Sarik, but I'll check availability of parts/ lead times before ordering.

BTW, what was the kit that you ordered?

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/01/2018 11:12:00

Hi Cuban 8

it was P Miler`s Ballerina

wanted something to build over the next 2/3 months ( as break from House renovations, we have just moved to an older property), as a follow on from my trainer, and have not sorted my w/shop out yet.

Dont mind if they cant supply,but, business these day`s take your money very quickly ( so no cost to them) but seem to take ages to give it back.

Posted by Kevan Gillings 2 on 25/01/2018 16:03:49:

Just tried to get a set of drawings for the Vega V twin engine from them.

They do not seam to be able to differentiate between a plan for a model called vega and an engine.

That doesn't seem to be listed on their engine plans https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product-category/model-engineer-builder/model-engineering-railway-plans/internal-combustion-engines/ if you do facebook go here https://www.facebook.com/Rosss-Engines-859107560805022/ and back in July 2016 he has a blog on building one, you could ask where he got the plans.

I bought some stuff late last year, BT mossie and some canopies for an old Lanc. I had good service from them, including the info that the vac formed canopies would be delayed as the moulds supplied from Traplet were found to be in poor condition and they would rather delay and rework the moulds. I decided to wait and all kudos to them bringing this to my attention up front rather than either sending something of low quality or just letting me wait. I will be happy to buy from them again.

• 1 month later...

Ordered by next project from Sarik a day or two ago. Dennis Bryant 68" Chipmunk - plan, cowl, canopy, formers etc. Will report on quality when I get it, order still showing as 'processing' but I suppose they don't keep stock and will need to make the parts up. No prob, not in too much of a hurry to get started.

• 2 weeks later...
Chippy parts arrived last Wednesday although I've just had the opportunity to open the box. Nicely printed plans, excellent quality glassed cowl and substantial canopy. Wood parts look very nice and the included photo CD is a nice touch. Parts were well packed in bubble wrap and 'quavers' but I would have preferred a much more sturdy cardboard box or some extra card doublers to protect the contents from potential crush damage. Luckily, on this occasion, Parcel Force got it to me unscathed. Well satisfied with Sarik's product and service.

I have just been looking at the Brian Taylor Cessna 120 (62") on Sariks web site. I like the look of it and the price is very reasonable. Did you find the quality of the wood and laser cutting Ok Cuban8 ? I think this will be my next project, as there is some scope to add detail, in the cabin etc.

Cheers

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 16/03/2018 16:38:20

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 16/03/2018 16:37:45:

I have just been looking at the Brian Taylor Cessna 120 (62") on Sariks web site. I like the look of it and the price is very reasonable. Did you find the quality of the wood and laser cutting Ok Cuban8 ? I think this will be my next project, as there is some scope to add detail, in the cabin etc.

Cheers

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 16/03/2018 16:38:20

Yes, but what will you build next week, Speedy? cheeky

I have started covering my Moth ... at last!

Geoff

Posted by oldgit on 16/03/2018 17:03:32:

what exactly do you get with a short kit, do you need to buy any other wood, do you need to cut out and shape wood - eg ribs ???

Edited By oldgit on 16/03/2018 17:04:07

Short Kits (usually) have a plan, the wing ribs, fuselage formers, and any other complex shape pre cut for you, the builder will have to add sheet and strip wood as required

Don't want to drift off topic but I wanted to provide some feedback to Dwain regarding this short kit.

The BT Cessna 120 was the first kit I ever built. Easy to construct from the short kit. Make sure that you order the cowl and the windscreen mouldings too, they are of excellent quality. My short kit came with the plan and copies of a series of magazine articles showing the construction of the model including some hints and tips. (If you need copies let me know). The fuselage is fully sheeted (1.5mm I think) and this will have to be purchased separately. The cabin fuselage sides and complete tail section including the rudder and elevators are solid sections and are included in the short kit so there really isn't much extra balsa to buy. You will have to purchase all the hardware including undercarriage, wheels, pushrods, control horns, hinges, clevis, covering material, etc. You will also have to make up the wing struts. I used some brazing rods.

If I were to make this model again I would try to make it lighter, especially if you want to build an electric version like I did. I would also substitute spruce wing ribs for the balsa ribs called for in the plan. There is plenty of scope for detailing, especially in the cockpit area. Perhaps an opening door? You could also add some flap and lights making it a 140!

Sorry, not the best pic. Try zooming in!

landing.jpg

Been a bit distracted with family type stuff recently, but had a look through the Chippy wood pack yesterday and it all looks fine to me. Took the plan to a local print shop and got a couple of copies which are always handy to pin up on the wall to easily refer to and generate templates from (copy function on your computer's printer).

Annoyingly, Mr Bryant has only drawn one wing section which I think is a cop out. I asked the print shop if they could produce a mirror image copy, but their kit was unable to do so. I've done it before and will simply trace the wing's important details onto translucent paper and work from the other side - has anyone actually worked with the plan taped to a window and traced on the back as some designers including Dennis suggest? Sounds like a nightmare for anything other than small sheets. Any other ideas?

Although perfectly OK and useable, the plan is not up to Brian Taylor's standard IMHO. A few changes to suit my preferences - undercarriage mounting needs a bit of reinforcing, not too keen on the engine mounting, and one or two other minor detail changes to improve (IMO) the model's practicality. Hope to put a bit more effort into surface detailing on this build, but nothing too elaborate. All part of the fun and what keeps me and others coming back for more.

To get a drawing of the opposite wing panel all you need really is to draw the parallel lines for LE,TE, Spars and then the ribs. Don't bother measuring rib spacing but instead mark them onto a spar and draw parallel lines. You dont need much further detail.

The other method recommended by some (and it certainly worked when I tried it) was to turn it over and apply paraffin to the plan - probably best to use one of your copies if you try it! After a few days it dies out and you'd be hard pressed to tell that the plan had ever been damped.

Having said that, the traced method is what I usually do in these circumstances but the damped method is likely to be more accurate...

• 6 months later...

Mixed results from Sarik this week Guys, I ordered a part kit/laser cut set for a fun fly model that I fancied building, and got an email saying they didn't have the cutting files for it........A bit strange advertising a model you can't supply ????

Anyway a very nice email was received from the lovely Janet Baker, giving me a full refund.

I have now ordered the Brian Taylor Cessna 120 as discussed above, but only after confirming the availability of said laser cut pack, plan and vac form set......wink

I may well do a build blog......surprise

D.D.

I had the same when I ordered a parts kit for Richard Harris' Panther a couple of months ago. It seems that cutting files are now available and my order was accepted a couple of weeks ago but their cutter must be very slow as I still have no kit. I suspect they inherited the sales web site but are only generating cutting files when they decide they have enough demand. A strange way to run a business and possibly a contravention of advertising standards.