Please help newbie

Tom H 1

Advert

Gentleman please calm down I was driving back from my girlfriend. I was also looking at the location map for club locations I am from sandbach in Cheshire and noticed two clubs by me. I knew membership costs would be involved and looked at the clubs websites to see if prices were on these.

Tom

If you want to fly RC planes surely the best starting point is to buy a 'ready to fly' plane. It will already have a suitable motor ,battery, prop and servos and more important it will fly. How well iwill be down to you and you instructor.

It is also likely be able to withstand a certain amount of punishment which will happen as you learn

When you can fly it well you will have a much better understanding of what is required so the chances of success with you first build will be much improved. There is nothing more disheartening than watching the result of many hours of labour get destroyed in just a few seconds,

Although an experienced model builder and flyer I had never flown an electric RC plane so after the usual 20 year 'career' break I bought a ready to fly foam RC plane.

It did indeed fly but more important it gave me a starting point so with the help and advice of forums i was able to understand both how to improve it and just as vital what not to do.

There is a lot to learn, Take it in easy stages!

Posted by Tom H 1 on 04/02/2018 22:21:22:

It’s no problem. Just so much to read and understand. I don’t understand how people work out the battery to motor flight time equation. Couple examples seem confusing. Am I missing something!!!!!

Tom there are a couple of programs you can download that calculate the power, amps, thrust etc of various propeller, motor battery combinations, e.g. drivecalc and Ecalc, but your best option if you are going to build anything would be to just post on the forum somebody would come back with a recommendation (or ask a fellow club member!)

Percy lighten up, model aircraft simply might not have the priority in Tom's life that you think it should have.

Tom, here's a link to the British Model Flying Association's introduction to starting in the hobby of model flying.
I suggest that you read this, look around for a local club etc as suggested, then if you have any further questions post them on this forum but please acknowledge answers even if it's only to say "thank's".

Tom,

There is nothing wrong with continuing to build your own plane if that's what you want to do. Years ago this was the only route to go, but there are now other ready made models on the market that make your journey to successful flight a little easier. Perhaps it is better to build yours in the background whilst learning to fly on a 'known' platform. By this I mean one that has already flown and is trimmed and balanced correctly - there are plenty of trainers out there and some clubs even have a club trainer. Learning from someone else will reduce the time it takes for you to learn the basics and give you more smiles per £ spent.

I'm like you and want to know everything all at once, but in this hobby there is a multitude of information out there (not all good or indeed correct) and it will take a lifetime to acquire it all; but there are things that are more important to know sooner and this is where an instructor can help.

A lot of people have commented here all trying to offer help and it can be daunting to assimilate all of the advice given, but don't let that put you off - one of the best things about this hobby is the amount of help available.

Rob

Wow
​This thread is less than three days old and Tom has posted seven times since his first enquiry. His first post apologised for the delayed reply saying he was busy and in a short time he has had a mountain of information (well intended for sure) but much of the time seeming to be quite patronising.
​I doubt the poor bloke has had a chance to breathe. I don't think it is helpful if newcomers like Tom are made to feel under pressure.
​He could quite easily go and buy an RTF park flyer. Aren't Webbies in Cheshire and there are EDF foamie jets that won't break too much including the bank.
​Good luck Tom and in your own time.
Levanter

Posted by Percy Verance on 05/02/2018 14:56:02:

I asked him about transmitter modes, and did he realise that if he was taught by a club Instructor it would an advantage to be using the same make of radio on a similar mode.

This is no longer of the slightest inportance if he or the instructor uses FrSky gear, and probably other newer radios. OpenTX for instance will link to most other makes of transmitter, indeed the Horus has both JR and Futaba style trainer ports. By the same token the mode is no longer important, any mode to any mode can be used; the instructor can even allow just some controls to be handed over. Given that you can now get a FrSky transmitter using OpenTx for just over £70, and this guy is an IT expert, this is a distinct possibility.

The secret of negotiation is silence.

---------

Tom will find a quiet moment to re-read and ingest all the advice, which is overwhelming to join a club.

If he really wants to, he'll find a local club, which are mostly very welcoming, then they'll look after him. The club might be IC or electric-oriented. They might have their own training aircraft, else they can advise him what model to buy and/or build as his own trainer, and what basic transmitter to buy to be used with a buddy-box etc. When the weather improves he can start down the long road of learning to safely, satisfyingly and not too expensively pilot a model from the ground. Under proper guidance, he probably won't take long to get the hang of the basics. As he progresses in skills and knowledge his ideas about what he aspires to might change. His dream might still be jets, might become helis, maybe aerobatics or scale, or even soaring? Maybe he'll stand back and assess that there just isn't time room in his life for the depth of patience and learning necessary?

---------

Tom, in the meantime you might download a copy of Picasim onto your phone or preferably tablet: **LINK**

laugh