Warbirds - engine recommendations

Ron Gray

The Laser - tech questions thread has got a bit sidetracked with questions about best engine for a make of ‘plane so it has benn suggested that a new thread is created to cover this topic.

So, if you have a warbird (or any scale type I guess), powered by an IC power plant and you are really happy about the combo, please post on here. Likewise if you are not happy with the combo also post on here too! Weight and size of ‘plane would also be handy.

Edited By Ron Gray on 26/05/2018 08:13:16

Advert

I have a few IC-powered warbirds of the WW2 era. Personally, I like to have some "authority" in the power department with these types of aeroplanes.

This one is a Kyosho FW.190 and has 72" wingspan. It has electric retracts, weighs about 12 pounds and has a CRRC 26cc petrol engine up front. It handles superbly and is a joy to fly.

FW.190

Blackhorse Heinkel112-B with a Saito 125. Some would say its over powered. Ii don't. It is so much fun. Superb flyer. The engine is 12 years old, it never stops, as good as ever. I have several Saitos and they just seem so strong. I also have a Laser 155 which is in a YT 72" Spitfire and that is a delightful combination. imgp3758.jpg

Not a warbird but Hangar 9 Taylor Craft 80” wingspan, 15lbs weight, originally powered by Zenoah 20 but was underpowered and noisy. Changed to CRRC 26, power was fine but noisy and limited in cowl space for decent sized silencer. Changed to Laser 155, more than enough power (most flights half throttle) and sounds lovely.

ccc3429f-13a2-4201-afaf-c2a2e5f5d9c1.jpeg

Hangar 9 Corsair. 64" wingspan. Weighs about 7.5 pounds. The aeroplane is a real sweetie to fly and looks great in the air. Powered with an ASP FS91. This is just about enough power for it but you wouldn't want anything less powerful. . More power would be good, so I have plans to change the engine to a Saito FA-100 at some point in the future...... it has the same mounting dimensions as the ASP.

corsair5.jpg

Edited By Brian Cooper on 26/05/2018 13:36:29

Cracking shot of the Corsair Brian!

Rocker, I would say any 60-65 inch 8-10lb warbird would be ideal. My 63'' hurricane is 9.5 lbs and overpowered for scale.

Cuban, was the 120 healthy? it should have been more than enough for the P47 so im surprised you had trouble.

Posted by Brian Cooper on 26/05/2018 09:43:28:

I have a few IC-powered warbirds of the WW2 era. Personally, I like to have some "authority" in the power department with these types of aeroplanes.

This one is a Kyosho FW.190 and has 72" wingspan. It has electric retracts, weighs about 12 pounds and has a CRRC 26cc petrol engine up front. It handles superbly and is a joy to fly.

FW.190

That looks identical to a Black Horse version that I'm lucky enough to be asked to fly and buddy lead for a friend on a regular basis - I can wholeheartedly agree with your comments on the handling if it's as similar as it looks. His flies on an SC120 FS which suits it perfectly.

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/05/2018 19:59:39

Hangar 9 60 size P-51 bluenose and BF-109 both running OS 120 Surpass engines on 15x8 props, both verging on being silly overpowered for scale. Mustang is a smidge over 11lbs, and the 109 11.5lbs.

VQ Hurricane 60, 10.5lbs, ASP 91 FS. Escale (Seagull) Seafire 60, 10 lbs, OS 91 Surpass. Both of these have a 14x8 on them, and are more than adequate but not overpowered.

Blackhorse Chipmunk (60 version)great with OS95V a Laser80 would be great too as similar power output. I’m using a 15x7 prop

Seagull P47 Thunderbolt Brilliant( my favourite ARTF so far! ) with Laser 100 using a 15x8 prop. I think the Laser 100 is much more powerful than my OS95V so if you are wanting to use an OS in this plane instead I would use an OS120FS or similar.img_1340.jpg

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 31/05/2018 11:21:49

Here’s another ideal combo. World Models Spitfire 60 with Laser 80. I was flying it yesterday at our club along with the P47. It’s a relatively cheap ARTF and good value . Now in its second year it has had scrapes and repairs but still a delight to fly. An OS 80 Alpha or the new 72Alpha/95v in it would be good too. The Laser 80 is perfect. I think the undercarriage isn’t strong enough for more power and it doesn’t need it anyway. Here’s the pic. img_0390.jpg