suggestions on throw launch plane for flying on rough grass pasture land

r6dan

I dont have a runway where i fly, its rough knee length grass, luckly i have a slope/quarry to fly there and huge fields to fly above, also fly the local dunes, currently i have a wildthing, zaggi copy and an electric pusher thing called a sky surfer so im after something i can chuck launch and land in grass, something thatll get my skills back but not be boring, was looking at the durafly efx racer but only get 3 min flights so id need a load of batteries, i do like a war bird but at the opersite end i used to like flying my easy glider pro so im open to options!

Advert

The EFX will last longer than 3 min with a bit of throttle management, in fact I think it will last longer even at full throttle and boy does it tack some sky up at that speed. Good news it will fly a lot slower should you want to and should be okay on long grass as it does no weight much.

If not a Cambria fun fighter (electric version) if you want to build something.

The glider guys might have some useful advice as well?

See this lothttps://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hand+launched+glider&oq=Hand+launched&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.27459j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Hand+launched+glider+kits&oq=Hand+launched+glider+kits&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.27264j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

AND THIS http s://www.google.co.uk/search?q=throwing+glider&oq=Throw&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i61j0l4.12859j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There should be something here for you. John

I fly in a field like the one described most of the time.

If you want an "easy to fly" plane, that is "interesting" and will do quite a few things, I recommend the HK Walrus.

If you want something faster and more "dynamic", then the HK Super Kinetic is great.
This has become my standard choice for keeping my reactions sharp.

Finally, in a "long grass" field, an electric foamie Wot 4, with the undercarriage removed, is great!
You don't even have to remove the undercarriage yourself... the field will do it for you... but it's still a great option.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 15/07/2018 22:52:33:

Gliders are no use for long grass, the leverage of the long wing will soon rip out the wing mounting.

Depends on the wing mounting, the slope I normally fly from is covered in large ferns and this has not been a problem, finding them maybe but not damaging any wing mountings, but the biggest glider I've flown here is my 30 year old 3.75m Pat Teakle HP18 (see avatar)

Our normal field has long grass (well not now it's just been cut) apart from our runways, landing out has not caused any damage to our electric gliders.

The MPX Heron and Funray have wing mountings which allow the wings to pull away with no damage if you have a one wing low arrival (as does my Staufenbeil Vegas)

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 16/07/2018 08:33:23

My Elapor foam Twinstar 2 has lasted 12 years and it's as tough as old boots as was proved a week ago when it was involved in a mid air collision with a 2.6 M Radian power glider. The Twinstar only needed a minor repair which I covered on this website. The Glider which was repairable lost it's motor and prop assembly. However my Twinstar is not the latest brushless motor version and is powered by 9.6 volt Nimh batteries that weigh 1lb 2oz each. I am convinced the Twinstar will fly 'off the slope' and just about anywhere else. However any stunt flyer may well find it boring although you will note on the latest sales videos that the brushless version is more capable. I fitted an undercarriage with tape to my Twinstar last year but have subsequently removed it.

20-05-2007 uproar barton point 002.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 16/07/2018 09:40:28

Most smaller EDF models are hand launch and belly landing . Baby is an easy to launch model but will need a long power off landing t slow it down. Cambrian fun fighters as already suggested are good flyers and easy to launch and land. Loads of glider types out there. Multiplex easy-pro is a good model .

I would second the RC factory stuff , I have a Flash,( out yesterday )

I must have similar interests , I have a high powered Zaggi , flew it yesterday, a wild wing , Gee Bee R, Funjet , but possibly the "best all rounder "for smooth anything type flying is a Formosa , if you can find one , and if the new Easy street is as good as the old one its pretty good too !

And yes I have an EFX racer , but you do need a lot of space and some good 4 cells if you want to do it justice,

cheers

Pete